Small GTG at The Fresh Prince's

Guest The Fresh Prince

Guest The Fresh Prince

Hello All,

I wondered whether anyone would like to pop 'round for a listen to my system, and a glass of wine.

I feel it is now "ready".

Limited numbers only. Please accept my apologies, in advance, if demand exceeds capacity.

I was thinking tomorrow at around 4pm.

Only rules are: no shoes, no right wing views, no Patricia Barber.

Please PM.

I am in Belair.

Ted

This is my room, and system. It looks better in real life. Flagship Stax, and Woo system will also be available, for a listen.

post-109630-0-82079300-1432354019_thumb.

Edited by The Fresh Prince

Hi Ted,

Are people from Perth invited? Almost worth a drive across the Nullabor to hear that system (and room)! Although, we do have Tasso here in Perth with a similar system so can imagine how good it sounds.

What are those subs you are running with your Magico S5's? They must be pretty capable to keep up with the signature of the superbly tight S5 sealed bass.

Hope you have a fun gtg.

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Steve M

Guest The Fresh Prince

Hi Ted,

Are people from Perth invited? Almost worth a drive across the Nullabor to hear that system (and room)! Although, we do have Tasso here in Perth with a similar system so can imagine how good it sounds.

What are those subs you are running with your Magico S5's? They must be pretty capable to keep up with the signature of the superbly tight S5 sealed bass.

Hope you have a fun gtg.

Cheers,

Steve.

Perth-ees (-ites?), more than welcome!

I am using a pair of REL Gibraltars

Guest The Fresh Prince

Now full.

See you this afternoon.

4pm start. 6pm finish

Hello All,

I wondered whether anyone would like to pop 'round for a listen to my system, and a glass of wine.

I feel it is now "ready".

Limited numbers only. Please accept my apologies, in advance, if demand exceeds capacity.

I was thinking tomorrow at around 4pm.

Only rules are: no shoes, no right wing views, no Patricia Barber.

Please PM.

I am in Belair.

Ted

This is my room, and system. It looks better in real life. Flagship Stax, and Woo system will also be available, for a listen.

attachicon.gifIMG_0009.JPG

Bugger it Ted,

You've chosen the only weekend I can't make it. I'm on KI at Southern Ocean Lodge. The room/system looks wonderful. I hope you have another GTG in the future. It will be a great afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest The Fresh Prince

Bugger it Ted,

You've chosen the only weekend I can't make it. I'm on KI at Southern Ocean Lodge. The room/system looks wonderful. I hope you have another GTG in the future. It will be a great afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Ocean Lodge...

Nice!

Bugger thought I had commitments but now I'm free - looks awesome - have a great afternoon - I expect people to post lots of pics and comments :-)

Guest The Fresh Prince

Thanks for an enjoyable afternoon.

It was nice to get some "new ears" on my system.

Thanks, Ted, for a very enjoyable couple of hours.  You have an amazing system in a magnificent listening space and it's great to see how all the hard work you have put into it has come together.  Well done and congrats on a stunning outcome. :thumb: 

I can't help thinking you might even stay content for a while - It's hard to see any scope for upgrades now. ;)

Ted, you might want to experiment with moving those subs around to see where they work best? Ime, there is a sweet spot for a sub in the correct location.

I can tell you are an open-minded guy with the fact that you have decided to use subs with the Magico S5 spkr (which has very good bass). Some people would never do this thinking that the S5 is already adequate or for audiophile notions that it may spoil the S5's? However I am in your camp, if you need deeper bass or more bass impact to fill a large room - then, outboard woofers will always improve the situation.

Cheers,

Steve.

Setup looks great Ted! Hope the acoustics of a purpose build room reached your expectations? Can you pump it up without annoying the neighbors? How soon til you demo the Magico S7....

Stump

Thanks for a great listening session!  I thought the sub integration was seamless.  It was a pleasure to hear the benefits of such seemingly even bottom end response at the seated position - which is what really counts after all.  I had the impression that the current subs location is the result of lengthy placement trials and experimentation already conducted, but if a lengthy GTG assessment regime of listen, move, listen, move, listen, move, needs to occur, I'm pretty sure there would be a few local volunteers available to help :-).

• Like 1

Guest The Fresh Prince

Ted, you might want to experiment with moving those subs around to see where they work best? Ime, there is a sweet spot for a sub in the correct location.

I can tell you are an open-minded guy with the fact that you have decided to use subs with the Magico S5 spkr (which has very good bass). Some people would never do this thinking that the S5 is already adequate or for audiophile notions that it may spoil the S5's? However I am in your camp, if you need deeper bass or more bass impact to fill a large room - then, outboard woofers will always improve the situation.

Cheers,

Steve.

@@Steve M

Hi Steve,

You are correct. The S5 already has great bass, but I was missing some really low end impact, eg:

-low frequency decay of kick drums on Rage Against the Machine.

- stereo bass effects on some electronic music eg. Kraftwerk and Orbital.

- effortless feeling on tympani

The response is now more or less flat to 10hz (with the help of some eq).

As noted by Christos, the in room response is great (at the seated position), but the variation within the room is vast. I don't have the patience or requirement to deal with this, but in the pursuit of perfection, it would be nice to do so. @@christosd ps. My wife and I loved the Riesling!

I have spent hours using different models of sub in multiple different locations. I read several articles from Floyd Toole and recommendations on forums (which were mainly, at best, misleading). Luckily, I was able to borrow a few different ones, before I plonked down the cash.

At the end of day the smoothest response and best integration, for me, is at the current position. It is also fortuitous that it maintains the symmetry of the room and aesthetic, which is important to me and my narcissist tendencies!

Guest The Fresh Prince

Setup looks great Ted! Hope the acoustics of a purpose build room reached your expectations? Can you pump it up without annoying the neighbors? How soon til you demo the Magico S7....

Stump

Hi Stump,

I am very happy with the room.

No problems pumping it up. The room is more or less sound proof. Doesn't even disturb the kids, or wife.

No new speakers for me, although I would love to experiment with the flagship MBL, or Piega.

@@Steve M

Hi Steve,

You are correct. The S5 already has great bass, but I was missing some really low end impact, eg:

-low frequency decay of kick drums on Rage Against the Machine.

- stereo bass effects on some electronic music eg. Kraftwerk and Orbital.

- effortless feeling on tympani

The response is now more or less flat to 10hz (with the help of some eq).

As noted by Christos, the in room response is great (at the seated position), but the variation within the room is vast. I don't have the patience or requirement to deal with this, but in the pursuit of perfection, it would be nice to do so. @@christosd ps. My wife and I loved the Riesling!

I have spent hours using different models of sub in multiple different locations. I read several articles from Floyd Toole and recommendations on forums (which were mainly, at best, misleading). Luckily, I was able to borrow a few different ones, before I plonked down the cash.

At the end of day the smoothest response and best integration, for me, is at the current position. It is also fortuitous that it maintains the symmetry of the room and aesthetic, which is important to me and my narcissist tendencies!

That sounds great and I have full confidence that a man of your experience (and taste) will have it sounding right. :thumb:

Will have to look you up if I am ever in Adelaide.

Cheers,

Steve.

My dream is for a seperate listening room... Would loved to have been there...

Perhaps you could set up a consulting practice for hifi :) you now have the room.

Just think of all the tax deductions you could get off the government... :)