Did you by chance download/share Dallas Buyers Club?

A Federal Court judge has ordered several Australian internet service providers, including iiNet, to hand over to a film studio the identities of thousands of account holders whose internet connections were allegedly used to share without authorisation the Dallas Buyers Club movie.

http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/dallas-buyers-club-slays-iinet-in-landmark-piracy-case-20150407-1mey38.html

A Federal Court judge has ordered several Australian internet service providers, including iiNet, to hand over to a film studio the identities of thousands of account holders whose internet connections were allegedly used to share without authorisation the Dallas Buyers Club movie.

http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/dallas-buyers-club-slays-iinet-in-landmark-piracy-case-20150407-1mey38.html

Oh well the precedent has now been set so many more movies will  be targeted. Illegal down-loaders and file sharers beware

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/dallas-buyers-club-slays-iinet-in-landmark-piracy-case-20150407-1mey38.html

In a landmark judgment delivered on Tuesday afternoon, Justice Nye Perram ruled in favour of Dallas Buyers Club LLC's "preliminary discovery" application requesting that the ISPs disclose the identities of people it alleges shared the movie online.

In addition to iiNet, ISPs Dodo, Internode, Amnet Broadband, Adam Internet and Wideband Networks will also be required to hand over customer details.

am rapped to see his. do the crime pay the fine ! hopefully sends a resounding message that it is not ok to illegally download movies ! 

apparently 4700 australian internet account holders in this case.

• Like 4

They're talking about this on "Hack" on JJJ tonight.

As with a lot of illegal activities, this whole download/fileshare thing could be controlled.

Release TV shows which go on free-to-air TV for download once they've screened.

Set up a download site for movies and make people set up an account, pay.....I dunno $20/month and have a limit of X amount of movies per account per month.

I would happily pay a bit if the files were of good quality and legal.

Torrents and filesharing will never go away unless they manage to close every single torrent site and/or fine everyone who's downloading.

Be smart about it and everyone will win in the end.

:)

It only impacts those who shared via BitTorrent, so if you leeched or used a peerbocker you are probably safe.

Encrypted Usenet is far harder to crack for this sort of thing.

From what I have been told.

@@Chopsus

Interesting. I'm so naive about all of this. Do you mean that only people who used the BitTorrent client are in the firing line? So, say if you downloaded it using another client, you're off the hook?

Thanks,

Leigh

Edited by ferchersan

@@Chopsus

Interesting. I'm so naive about all of this. Do you mean that only people who used the BitTorrent client are in the firing line? So, say if you downloaded it using another client, you're off the hook?

Thanks,

Leigh

BT is a download method/format with lots if client programs available ... BT is insecure from a privacy perspective. There are firewall/ip blocking and proxy softwares that can help avoid being identified.

Usenet is a server based network that predates the Internet. It does not involve uploading for 99% of users and it's the uploading that copyright holders take most seriously. Usenet can be encrypted and anonymised.

Edit: yes, they are only chasing those that "shared" via BT as that is a clear breech of copyright and considered more serious as it amounts to uploading.

Iirc they have to prove an entire movie has been downloaded, which is pretty hard given an incomplete file is useless and technically not the copyrighted material until uncompressed/reassembled ... It's just data until that happens ... But uploading just one part of a copyrighted file is all that is needed to pursue a breech.

Edited by Chopsus Maximus
  • Like 1

With so much choice of subscription services these days why would anyone bother to steal music and movies. It is theft, pure and simple and no justification is possible.

• Like 3

Never heard of that movie.....lucky me!

Me neither.

And apparently it's not even a 'popular' torrent.

I'm guessing they're jealous and just want some attention.

My guess is that the amount of downloads will go up :)

If you just download it you are safe, just don't share it, cause that's where they draw the line.. :P

This case is quite old now.

A couple of years sure, but my point remains. People are obviously still stealing music and movies, which is morally indefensible and economically un necessary

Set up a download site for movies and make people set up an account, pay.....I dunno $20/month and have a limit of X amount of movies per account per month.

I would happily pay a bit if the files were of good quality and legal.

Sorta like Netflix, Stan and Presto?

• Like 4

...if you are going to be 'sent down' it would need to be for a better movie than 'DALLAS'. Merely a good film which discarded the actualities of the real story, which, ironically, would have made a better movie.

ZM.

• Like 1

Me neither.

And apparently it's not even a 'popular' torrent.

I'm guessing they're jealous and just want some attention.

My guess is that the amount of downloads will go up :)

If you just download it you are safe, just don't share it, cause that's where they draw the line.. :P

thats the whole thing with bit torrents and swarms isn't it ? once your part of it your not just downloading you are sharing by default :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

760px-BitTorrent_network.svg.png

...if you are going to be 'sent down' it would need to be for a better movie than 'DALLAS'. Merely a good film which discarded the actualities of the real story, which, ironically, would have made a better movie.

ZM.

agree...I enjoyed it when watched it though. still have it on blu-ray. will probably watch again one day.... :)

thats the whole thing with bit torrents and swarms isn't it ? once your part of it your not just downloading you are sharing by default :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

760px-BitTorrent_network.svg.png

Not always

...allegedly...... :ph34r:

Sorta like Netflix, Stan and Presto?

Yes will definitely look in to Netflix now that it's here.

Never heard of the other two...

Except they're just streaming services though?

Not actual downloading and saving of files...

my point remains. People are obviously still stealing music and movies, which is morally indefensible and economically un necessary

Yes yes blah blah I've never broken the law or copied music or jaywalked and cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would do something like that.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Not always

...allegedly...... :ph34r:

~

:rolleyes:

was in this case, :)

as per news article I quoted above,

"To uncover the alleged pirates, Dallas Buyers Club LLC, through Voltage Pictures, tasked German-based pirate-hunting firm Maverick Eye UG to identify those who were sharing the movie online.

Maverick Eye joined torrent "swarms" that were sharing Dallas Buyers Club and then tasked its software to log the Internet Protocol (IP) addresses of those who distributed the movie without authorisation and in breach of copyright laws. A total of 4726 IP addresses were identified."

There are setting in these apps for how and what you share.

Or so I hear, i don't use torrent apps as they are unsecured by there very nature.