volume controls are backwards from water taps from a child's perspective

My young kids are still struggling to get it into their brains which way to turn a tap on or off (righty tighty, lefty loosy etc)

I just asked one of my kids to turn the volume down on the stereo and they turned it up instead of down, which of course raised the question, "why is it different to taps?"

It's the first time I'd ever considered it!

The joys of parenthood and the funny stuff that comes up.

I guess the person designing the first potentiometer was thinking of nuts/bolts - turning the pot "off" as the same as taking a nut "off" a bolt

Mike

• Like 4

"I guess the person designing the first potentiometer was thinking of nuts/bolts - turning the pot "off" as the same as taking a nut "off" a bolt"

Now if that designer was a plumber by trade it could have been very different ;)

Guess you are actually turning the tap off and the water on, but no one says that.

:blink:

Now that is messing with me..............had to go check a tap to regain some sanity :lol:

cutting a thread...I think am stronger turning a thread cutting tap clockwise than anti clockwise...

turn it up ...

that to me intuitively tells you turn the dial up from the bottom left position. ... i.e. clockwise...

are kids still used to volume knobs ?

up down arrows or plus minus is probably more what used to with the touch screens, toggle buttons and such mostly presented with.... :)

cutting a thread...I think am stronger turning a thread cutting tap clockwise than anti clockwise...

turn it up ...

that to me intuitively tells you turn the dial up from the bottom left position. ... i.e. clockwise...

are kids still used to volume knobs ?

up down arrows or plus minus is probably more what used to with the touch screens, toggle buttons and such mostly presented with.... :)

So it may have been a watchmaker... :thumb:

• 1 year later...

Who said life and design is consistent? 

- Look at the numeric keypad of a digital phone.  The top numbers are 1-2-3, with 7-8-9 on the bottom. 

- Now look at a calculator keypad.  The top numbers are 7-8-9, and 1-2-3 is on the bottom. 

- Look at the middle numbers - it is 4-5-6 on both.  At least they got 1/3rd of the design consistent.

Who said life and design is consistent? 

- Look at the numeric keypad of a digital phone.  The top numbers are 1-2-3, with 7-8-9 on the bottom. 

- Now look at a calculator keypad.  The top numbers are 7-8-9, and 1-2-3 is on the bottom. 

- Look at the middle numbers - it is 4-5-6 on both.  At least they got 1/3rd of the design consistent.

Dammit, beat me to it.

;)

The phone vs calculator keypad configuration has to do with ease of use, I think...

We did an experiment years ago and scraped the numbers off the keys on our landline phone (remember those?)

It was interesting to see how people reacted when they asked to use the phone (as people did back in the stoneage)

Those who worked in an office, for example, were more likely not to be fazed by the lack of numbers, while others found it near impossible to use

:D

My young kids are still struggling to get it into their brains which way to turn a tap on or off (righty tighty, lefty loosy etc)

I just asked one of my kids to turn the volume down on the stereo and they turned it up instead of down, which of course raised the question, "why is it different to taps?"

I guess the person designing the first potentiometer was thinking of nuts/bolts - turning the pot "off" as the same as taking a nut "off" a bolt

Mike

A bit late on the scene, but are taps the same design in the Northern Hemisphere?

As for volume controls....

Up, on, forward, increase, etc has (maybe) always been either clockwise (rotating) or left-right, (linear)....for some reason.

Mmm.

Who knows.

Mike

Then again, modern taps which have a hot/cold turn plus the lever to let water out ... tap mfrs can't even agree on a standard for which way is hot!  I have one such tap where pushing the lever back is for cold water (pulling it forward is for hot) ... and another tap which is the opposite! :emot-bang:

Andy

Guest jakeyb77

Dammit, beat me to it.

;)

The phone vs calculator keypad configuration has to do with ease of use, I think...

We did an experiment years ago and scraped the numbers off the keys on our landline phone (remember those?)

It was interesting to see how people reacted when they asked to use the phone (as people did back in the stoneage)

Those who worked in an office, for example, were more likely not to be fazed by the lack of numbers, while others found it near impossible to use

I know a guy... (me) who swaps the 7,8 and 9 with the 1,2 and 3 on the numeric part of keyboards at work before my other workmates get in. Causes a lot of head scratching. Some have even asked for a new keyboard as theirs seems to be "broken" haha

I know a guy... (me) who swaps the 7,8 and 9 with the 1,2 and 3 on the numeric part of keyboards at work before my other workmates get in. Causes a lot of head scratching. Some have even asked for a new keyboard as theirs seems to be "broken" haha

Yes!

Gold

Guest jakeyb77

Yes!

Gold

** I have since ceased this activity when one of my more serious co-workers complained that someone was out to get her and labelled it akin to bullying.... Spoilsports

** I have since ceased this activity when one of my more serious co-workers complained that someone was out to get her and labelled it akin to bullying.... Spoilsports

Good lord, people need to harden lighten up a bit....seriously.

Sigh

Speaking of pranks....I think it was on Jimmy Fallon, someone said they released 3 pigs at a school (maybe) with the numbers 1,2 and 4 painted on them.

Classic

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Light switches are inconsistent as well, as written in the Wikipedia "Light Switch" (as copied from another site)...

The direction which represents "on" also varies by country. In the USA and Canada and Mexico and the rest of North America, it is usual for the "on" position of a toggle switch to be "up", whereas in many other countries such as the UK, Ireland, Australia, and in New Zealand it is "down."

... In countries prone to earthquakes, such as Japan, most switches are positioned sideways to prevent the switch from inadvertently being turned on or off by falling objects.

Edited by audiofeline

Then again, modern taps which have a hot/cold turn plus the lever to let water out ... tap mfrs can't even agree on a standard for which way is hot!  I have one such tap where pushing the lever back is for cold water (pulling it forward is for hot) ... and another tap which is the opposite! :emot-bang:

Andy

Maybe the hoses on the bottom of the mixer have been fitted wrong?

Funny thing when I fitted a couple of ceramic tap inserts in our laundry. They worked back to front (clockwise  for on, anti cw to turn off), so I removed the ceramic valves and flipped them over to work as you would normally expect them to work.

Another thing is, what orientation do you normally expect on taps. Hot on the left, cold on the right, or vice versa? Normally it doesn't make a difference because they are marked. But when you jump in a shower that has taps with no markings, it can be a bugger to adjust at first, especially if it takes a while for the hot water to come out hot.

Maybe the hoses on the bottom of the mixer have been fitted wrong?

No, this is looking at the tap itself which has a marking to show which way is 'hot' and which way is 'cold'.  One tap has a red & a blue dot ... the other tap has 'Hot' & 'Cold' printed on the chrome.

Andy

OK, if it is a tap with this type of handle, maybe the one that is hot when you pull the lever has been mounted with the base 180 degrees out. That is the mixer lever is supposed to be on the opposite side?

post-154625-0-84837200-1459382737_thumb.