WTB - Astell & Kern AK240 DAP

Galactic Soap

Mate,

As an alternative you may want to consider the new Cayin N6.

Easier to come by, and much much cheaper.

Cheers

AS

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the tip - I've just browsed through the Cayin N6 thread on Headfi and it sure looks like it's nailed a sweet spot by way of price and performance. 

My real motivation for the AK240 is that I understand it pairs extremely well with JH Audio Roxanne's which I'm lucky enough to own. The detailed, and transparent nature of the AK240 are the ying to the Roxanne's Yang.

I've currently got the Roxanne's paired with an original AK120 (not MK2) and I'm in awe at how musical the combination is, particularly the mid-range which is incredibly warm and lush, I am though prepared to trade a little bit of that mid-range magic for a touch more detail retrieval, and sparkle up top hence the pursuit of the AK240.

I'm reading great things about the Centrance Glove A1 which effectively turns the AK120 into a transport, but I know deep down I want the AK240 for all the reasons they are so popular: Great UI, MQS streaming etc...

Trust all is well on your end? Not a day goes by where I don't fall deeper in love with those Magico's!

Cheers,

Soapy  

Unless you're playing native DSD, the ak120 ii will sound very, very close (if not identical) to the ak240.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ah!, Thanks John - didn't know that!

I would have thought that the amp stage on the AK240 had a bit more power given the higher spec. DSD is probably 5% of my listening at most...food for thought...

Hi Soapy,

I recently bought another AK240 after foolishly selling my first one a while ago. It is a good sounding DAP but don't expect miracles from something this size - it still sounds like a budget DAC, expensive though it is. I use mine with Noble K10s, but also have some Roxannes on the way.

If you're interested in trying the Centrance Glove A1, I could be persuaded to sell mine at a good price. It really does improve the AK120 substantially. Some might say it is better than the AK240, but of course it is a bit larger when paired with the AK120.

Also consider the Calyx M, a very good sounding player which I rate in many ways higher than the AK240 in sound quality. The screen is also bigger and more colourful. But the UI still needs some work, unfortunately.

• 3 months later...

@@rossb what would be a better investment, upgrade to a AK120 (from AK100MK2) or the Centrance Glove A1(to use with the AK100MK2)

Tough choice. I haven't heard the AK120, but if it does sound close the 240, I think it would be preferable to the Glove A1. The Glove A1 sounds very good, but doubles the size of the player, and is still not as good as the AK240, so I would probably go for the AK120 in those circumstances.

• Like 1