Streaming ABC Classic FM etc- how?

Hi

I am new to streaming music. My set up is a Win 8 PC, with Minimserver.....Android phone with BubbleUPnP....Simaudio Moon 180 Streamer (+ the usual DAC, Amp etc)....plus Chromecast. All connected with ethernet (not the Chromecast & phone!). Telstra cable broad band with their latest Net gear modem/router

I can stream all my CDs fine from the PC. I want to get rid of my old (very) tuner, but how can I stream a radio station like ABC Classic FM (which you can do from their web site) or even Tidal?

Advice much appreciated

BC

Download a free media player like VLC and point the ABC to it as your preferred choice or just click on Classic FM's "Listen Live" option using their 'Beta' radio player. Win8 can do it through Win media player which you will have.

You end up with a selection of 'captured' radio stations either digital or as you know, just the ABC's proprietary stations like Classic FM or Radio National but they are one of you preferred choices in your media playlist which can be as long as you like.

Many thanks for this pointer, but my intention is to be able to stream it live via my Mind Streamer though my HiFi. I can play the ABC on the desktop through their 'listen now' but can't work out how to play through VLC/WMP short of downloading a podcast.

Have I misunderstood you?

Android selects which album etc (on Bubble UPnP (which fetches the media library from the PC from Minimserver), tells the PC which renderer to send it to. Minimserver on the PC then streams it to the renderer (Moon 180) which then sends it to DAC, Amp, Spkers

Internet based radio is fantastic for accessing a large range of radio stations across the globe. Do not expect to get audio quality anywhere near as good as your FM tuner however as the streams are all compressed, often heavily.

Your Moon 180 is already capable of streaming internet radio using the Vtuner functionality, so no new hardware required.

Edited by oldrose
  • Like 1

Android selects which album etc (on Bubble UPnP (which fetches the media library from the PC from Minimserver), tells the PC which renderer to send it to. Minimserver on the PC then streams it to the renderer (Moon 180) which then sends it to DAC, Amp, Spkers

Wow after reading all that I think I will just crank up the good old FM Tuner ;)

• Like 2

Thank you- for this I am not so concerned about sound quality. It's for my other half to play in the background during the day. How does the Mind pick it up ie the Vtuner functionality work? Thanks!

Hmm, just looked at the Moon website and their control app is iOS only, not so good for you.

I'd do a google search for Bubble uPNP and VTuner and see what comes up, or alternately see what other Android apps can control the 180. 

Thank you for your reply.

Actually you can control the moon on Android using Bubbleupnp; Moon just don't have their own app yet. I have no problem streaming cd's. I just don't know how to stream internet radio, eg classic fm

ABC classic has one of the lowest streaming quality signals at MP3 96kbps.

Try Royal Concertabow Orchestra you get 196 kbps

And Linn Records a staggering 320 kbps quality.

Plenty of good radio on internet, but quality varies of course. I like Radio Bach from Johnston County, it streams at about 124 kbps.

Have Fun

Adam

• Like 1

ABC classic has one of the lowest streaming quality signals at MP3 96kbps.

Try Royal Concertabow Orchestra you get 196 kbps

And Linn Records a staggering 320 kbps quality.

Plenty of good radio on internet, but quality varies of course. I like Radio Bach from Johnston County, it streams at about 124 kbps.

Have Fun

Adam

So, anyone hazard a best estimate of what kbps quality would approximate a strong fm reception on a quality tuner?

Just a guess but anything at or over 128 kpbs sounds clear and comparable with FM or better to me....

I agree, I gave up my tuners - Accuphase, Meridian, Naim and others - a long time ago and only use web radio now. Anything over 128 kb/s - which is most of them - is fine and much better than any FM tuner. Remember that FM transmissions are already compressed digitally before broadcasting. ABC Classic FM is the only one that holds out at 96kb/s and given recent budget cuts that's unlikely to change for a while. As it has now become mostly crap anyway - apart from the declining number of international concerts - that is no real loss. I listen mostly to BBC 3 at 320 kb/s.

From the minimserver website.

"Transcode a network stream such as an internet radio station. The network stream is transcoded "on the fly" and sent to your music player"

See if it is possible to create a playlist from the ABC radio station and try to play this on the Moonstreamer. Try different playlist formats because not all of them work.

I have played with this in JRiver and got somethings working, but it depends on what format the radio station is offering and if your system can read it.

I agree, I gave up my tuners - Accuphase, Meridian, Naim and others - a long time ago and only use web radio now. Anything over 128 kb/s - which is most of them - is fine and much better than any FM tuner. Remember that FM transmissions are already compressed digitally before broadcasting. ABC Classic FM is the only one that holds out at 96kb/s and given recent budget cuts that's unlikely to change for a while. As it has now become mostly crap anyway - apart from the declining number of international concerts - that is no real loss. I listen mostly to BBC 3 at 320 kb/s.

Where do you access this info re FM broadcast practices? EG. ABC FM - what do they actually do with the FM broadcast? / & in Melb, the best music material is on the community stations, PBS, RRR especially - what do they do re FM?

Are the stations just re-broadcasting their on-line transmissions, converting to an FM signal; or is it the other way round ...?

Edited by jamesg11

It's really hard to say seeing as FM rolls off above 15khz (which is where MP3 drops most of it's data too)

So, ... you wouldn't recommend dropping Elac 4pi plus.2 super tweeters on top of my 249be's just for my tuner's benefit!!

Edited by jamesg11

• 6 months later...

ABC CLASSIC FM stream  live :

http://shoutmedia.abc.net.au:10422/

or 

http : //shoutmedia.abc.net.au:10422/;stream.nsv#.mp3?1431339254865.mp3

http://shoutmedia.abc.net.au:10422/;stream.nsv#.mp3?1431339254865.mp3

try this.

see photo  :

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/q3I-SiAg82ycInHkG5zW7EVzA3FlZyzhBSaZsO6ogg=w1110-h888-no

Edited by mirek233