Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

• 2 months later...

I bought a weird dual sided copy of The Fifth Element from the US when it was first released, wide screen on one side and 'standard screen' on the other. It didn't play in many drives and was thicker than a usual DVD so I was loathe to insert it into a Mac slot drive so yesterday I bought myself and watched a BluRay copy. Much better resolution of course, much better sound quality, great movie.

• Like 1

I bought a weird dual sided copy of The Fifth Element from the US when it was first released, wide screen on one side and 'standard screen' on the other. It didn't play in many drives and was thicker than a usual DVD so I was loathe to insert it into a Mac slot drive so yesterday I bought myself and watched a BluRay copy. Much better resolution of course, much better sound quality, great movie.

Nothing worse than a bad dvd to wreck your watching experience. I've never seen a thicker dvd before. The bluray copy would look stunning, especially the taxi chase scene would have looked awesome. "Multipass.... MULTIIII PASS" haha classic film

Nothing worse than a bad dvd to wreck your watching experience. I've never seen a thicker dvd before. The bluray copy would look stunning, especially the taxi chase scene would have looked awesome. "Multipass.... MULTIIII PASS" haha classic film

Fifth Element on BluRay is a 'big badda boom!'

• Like 1

Prolly not relevant but I haven't watched TV for two weeks, still waiting for Samsung to get back to me on whether my plasma is fixable or not.

I did watch Revolution 1911 on my 'puter though. Jesus, what a monumental story turned into a pile of crap. The acting was horrendous, especially when Sun Yat Sen, or any Westerner, was speaking english. Jackie Chan was good but that's expected. And I'm not a huge expert of Asian Revolutions, but wasn't Cixi dead when the revolution happened? I mean, in the movie she called Yuan Shikai back from exile to stop the rebellion. But Yuan Shikai was banished by Prince Chun II after Cixi died in 1908. This movie just confused the crap out of me.

Fifth Element on BluRay is a 'big badda boom!'

Such an epic "quote" film haha. I believe she is the same actress as the Resident Evil character? Nothing bette than some HD Milla Jovovich haha.

I have been dying to watch Metropolis (The japanese rendition) again but I still can't find it at any of the shops. There is one on ebay at the moment.

I also got 1/2 through Akira which is another fantastic anime film from the 80s. The perception of the future is so cool in the 80s, we need more inspiration from then.

Edited by aad_ht

G'day,

I saw the new Martin Scorcese 3D film Hugo on the weekend. Very nice 3D, which draws you into its world rather than that world come out towards you. A good yet odd film, part Dickensian then part film history. If yer a lover of cinema then it's a must.

--Geoff

• Like 1

G'day,

I saw the new Martin Scorcese 3D film Hugo on the weekend. Very nice 3D, which draws you into its world rather than that world come out towards you. A good yet odd film, part Dickensian then part film history. If yer a lover of cinema then it's a must.

--Geoff

I'll be sure to check this one out, I read that Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) is the Station Inspector? I would be just begging for him to jump out and say "I like US AND A......". That guy cracks me up.

I'm a science fiction fan and a cowboy fan, so I had to see 'Cowboys and Aliens'

Good fun

Recommended !

Its interesting to hear that most people didn't like the film... I'm all up for it though. Nothing cooler than Cowbays fighting Aliens... Or is there? (Cowboys, Aliens and Ninjas? (and predators?))

I've been meaning to check out "The Rise of The Planet of the apes". Looks awesome.

Its interesting to hear that most people didn't like the film... I'm all up for it though. Nothing cooler than Cowbays fighting Aliens... Or is there? (Cowboys, Aliens and Ninjas? (and predators?))

I've been meaning to check out "The Rise of The Planet of the apes". Looks awesome.

There's a movie with Geoffrey Rush that has Ninjas and Cowboys. Think it's called the Warrior's Way or something. No aliens though. shame.

Watched the Michael Cain film 'Harry Brown' on Bluray.

A Retired moral man trying to live in the Projects in London as it is slowly being overtaken by the youth of the day.

Similar (in some ways) to Gran Tarino.

Enjoyed it a lot.

Highly recommended.

Graham

Finally got my hands on a region B BD of Talking Heads Stop Making Sense. I have been a fan of this film / concert since watching it in the cinema back when it was first released (early eighties?) It has three audio options.

1. DTS HD MA theatre version

2. DTS HD MA studuio version

3. Stereo PCM I think from memory

Also a commentary track.

From my brief viewing my favourite audio track is the DTS theatre version. Despite the age of this recording and obvious post production tweaks I found it to be fantastic. It's great to listen to this concert with some massive dynamic range going on. My output meters were hovering around the 25 watt mark for most of it but some transient peaks pushed the meters well over 100 watts on occasion. :-)

The bass may sound a bit shy at times and the thought of increasing the sub level went through my mind. I'm glad I didn't as toward the end of the Tom Tom club's interlude there are several chunks of lovely fat deep bass on offer that bought a massive smile to my dial. Generally, it has great punch and with the sound pumping it offers some nice chest massaging.

In contrast the studio version sounded a bit muddy in comparison to my ears. I'm yet to spend much time exploring the stereo mix so won't comment on it.

The picture quality is what it is. It is a pretty old film and the BD version shows up everything, warts and all. But for me it is all about the concert.

Probably my favourite audio purchase of the year. Did I mention I'm a fan?

9/10 from me

Just saw The Haunting, mind you I ended up watching the dvd version on my computer with headphones so its not quite the same. But I found the story to be not too bad after all. I was very excited to see it, its one of those films I heard about and was just happy to finally see what it was all about.

I would give it about 7-8 out of 10. I wouldn't say it was scary though, nothing like what I expected. The only one time I was really scared was watching The Exorcist (or when Dream World had the "House Of Mirrors" attraction, you had to walk in pitch black through a hospital/mental aslym as creepy looking actors came up behind you. The only other time I crapped my pants more was when I was a baby lol)

Watched the Aussie movie "RED DOG" last night......OK......, more of a kids movie IMHO, but still enjoyable by adults.

Then watched "Contagion".....again OK, seemed more of a mix between a doco and movie, ended up with little feeling for the characters.

Watched the original movie version of "The Trip" with Steve Coogen and Rob Brydon, very funny.

It's currently showing as six episodes on either ABC1/2 or SBS....recommended

[Great tips on getting your Michael Cain impersonations right :)]

Saw this as well the other day... very nasty movie. Almost unwatchable in parts. Terrific performances but not for the feint of heart.

Cheers

M

We watched Snowtown on the big screen on Saturday night. The SD transfer is OK.

Wholly schit, brutal & confronting

The absence of music in key parts made it seem very real

Very well done we thought. 8.5 out of 10

http://www.snowtownthemovie.com/

I have been dying to watch Metropolis (The japanese rendition) again but I still can't find it at any of the shops.

I found a 5 movie Anime Collection at JB Hi-Fi that had it in the 5 along with Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Memories, Steamboy and Paprika. All very interesting, and with a darkness about them. It was around $20 for them....

JJ

• Like 1