Are record companies milking the new vinyl popularity with ripoff pricing?

With almost all pressing plants at full capacity, vinyl availability has never been better for 20 years, however prices seem to be escalating.  here is but one example

The new Neil Young album Storytone is about to be released on November 4th.    Neil's vinyl pricing has always been higher than normal, usually set off with nice Chris Bellman mastering and Pallas germany pressings.

the new 2LP set retails for $US 69.95  - WTF!       This is getting crazy.    The double CD retails for $US 15.

It does not cost an additional $55 to manufacture vinyl.   Most double album releases are around  US $25 - $30, not $70.

This to me is pure profit mining from the record company and Neil Young and the milking of all Neil Young fans who buy vinyl and not steal it from the internet.

I bought vinyl all through the late 80's and 90's when the record companies tried their hardest to kill it - now they seem to be trying to kill it again with prices that are getting to high.

No money from me for this LP release.  Warners and Neil can shove it up their collective A-Holes.

Am I being too harsh?

cheers

• Like 5

Not harsh at all - I agree entirely. I'm happy to pay even up to $50 for a double LP of something I really want if I know it's a good master and pressing but $70 is really stretching it. Equally annoying is where the pressing is made from digital masters and you are still hit for the exorbitant vinyl mark-up not to mention that shopping is usually more expensive.

At prices over $40 for a single disc LP, they'll start to shrink their market as the digital alternatives are so much cheaper. As the market shrinks, we could go full circle back to vinyl becoming the rare and expensive exception.

The good news is there is still a lot of fairly reasonably priced (sub $30) new vinyl being released and hopefully good sales at these prices keeps some sanity in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hensa

I have capped my spend on a new LP to $30, unless It's something special to me and I might go as high as $50, but this will not be very often.

If they want more they will get it from others.

It does seem like gouging. Probably vinyl buyers are not as sensitive to price as cd and digital buyers. Might they be thinking that vinyl buyers are enthusiasts who will pay enough to cross-subsidise? Maybe the logic is like the extreme ticket prices for concerts. It does seem pretty disrepectful to people willing to pay a fair amount to support an artist

Sent from my iphone

@ that's utter rubbish. Sounds like one of those dumb conspiracy theories. Next you will be telling us that there are high end amps and audiophile cable companies charging cashed up stereophiles unjustified amounts for there wares as well ;)

• Like 6

Not harsh at all - I agree entirely. I'm happy to pay even up to $50 for a double LP of something I really want if I know it's a good master and pressing but $70 is really stretching it. Equally annoying is where the pressing is made from digital masters and you are still hit for the exorbitant vinyl mark-up not to mention that shopping is usually more expensive.

At prices over $40 for a single disc LP, they'll start to shrink their market as the digital alternatives are so much cheaper. As the market shrinks, we could go full circle back to vinyl becoming the rare and expensive exception.

The good news is there is still a lot of fairly reasonably priced (sub $30) new vinyl being released and hopefully good sales at these prices keeps some sanity in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true.

Labels like Secretly Canadian, JagJagwar, Matador, Sub Pop and other smaller labels seem to keep the prices reasonable.

I am sitting here listening to new albums from Mark Lanegan and the War on Drugs 2LP set and both are under $30 

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

There is a crazy disparity in vinyl pricing. I think most vinyl is reasonably priced, I used to pay $30 for CDs 20-25 years ago. But why can I buy Nick Cave's and Beck's latest for $26 and $31 respectively, when an old Neil Young album is now $60 and Beatles monos $45 (Dadas Perth Brick n' Mortar prices).

Definitely thumbs ups to the smaller labels mentioned above who seem to supply at reasonable prices.

• Like 1

What a load of rubbish.

CDs are on the decline, you can't compare their pricing.

And, just think about the cost of shipping heavy boxes of vinyl.

CD's are DEAD, but really not the complaint.  Hell even Kev is going vinyl :P

The Black keys Brothers album is 2LP with a free CD and pressed at Pallas Germany  - record label Nonesuch - owned by Warners  retail price US $ 26

Neil Young - 2LP set, pressed at Pallas Germany - record label Reprise - owned by Warners  - retail price US$ 69

How does the cost of shipping heavy boxes of vinyl relate to the cost differential when comparing vinyl ?   

Edited by metal beat

With almost all pressing plants at full capacity, vinyl availability has never been better for 20 years, however prices seem to be escalating.  here is but one example

The new Neil Young album Storytone is about to be released on November 4th.    Neil's vinyl pricing has always been higher than normal, usually set off with nice Chris Bellman mastering and Pallas germany pressings.

the new 2LP set retails for $US 69.95  - WTF!       This is getting crazy.    The double CD retails for $US 15.

It does not cost an additional $55 to manufacture vinyl.   Most double album releases are around  US $25 - $30, not $70.

This to me is pure profit mining from the record company and Neil Young and the milking of all Neil Young fans who buy vinyl and not steal it from the internet.

I bought vinyl all through the late 80's and 90's when the record companies tried their hardest to kill it - now they seem to be trying to kill it again with prices that are getting to high.

No money from me for this LP release.  Warners and Neil can shove it up their collective A-Holes.

Am I being too harsh?

cheers

It's the price you pay for antiques

• Like 2

CD's are DEAD, but really not the complaint.  Hell even Kev is going vinyl :P

The Black keys Brothers album is 2LP with a free CD and pressed at Pallas Germany  - record label Nonesuch - owned by Warners  retail price US $ 26

Neil Young - 2LP set, pressed at Pallas Germany - record label Reprise - owned by Warners  - retail price US$ 69

How does the cost of shipping heavy boxes of vinyl relate to the cost differential when comparing vinyl ?   

Well there you go. I never knew that. When was the funeral?

• Like 1

Well there you go. I never knew that. When was the funeral?

...ask Holden, they're in the same service!

Shane,as a recently new vinyl procurer again, I would have to agree. I thought  NZ$14 was over the top for "Born To Run" in '83

Not to be mistaken for these little buggers.....

btr1_zpseb5e3a3e.jpg

btr_zpsb03f7159.jpg

Edited by groot

I have to agree that US70 is ridiculous for Neil Young in his seventies making noise with an orchestra. Mind you Pallas 180g  pressing from Germany often have double LPs going at exactly the same price but when its for John Coltrane its arguably worth it.

Maybe Neil Young fans have a "shut up and take my money" vibe? (Pono anyone? ;) )

For a different  perspective, just ordered Hilltop Hoods - Walking Under Stars, double LP = $43. Not  bad for independent artists.

Really think some companies are gouging us for LPs

Edited by macguffin