Which 70 Inch + TV and why?

Guest yamaha_man

Guest yamaha_man

Suggestions and reasoning please.

Full HD or Ultra HD?

If Full HD l want 200hz, don't know a lot about Ultra HD.

Not really sold on the curved thing but could be swayed.

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic,LG or Sharp?

Seen 50 month interest free at JB at thought "hmmm, maybe".

Viewing distance is around 4.5-5 meters.

TIA.

Is this any good?

Or would this be a better option?

My first pick would be the Sony 70" UHD 8500. Great TV. Not fussed about the UHD but pic quality and black levels are great. If you don't care about smart TV then the Sharp 960 70" is beautiful. Love Sharp PQ. Japanese Panel, three year warranty and PQ up there with the best of them.

Not a fan of Samsung but a lot of folk like 'em. I find their PQ off putting and they feel flimsy.  Their Smart TV capability is second to none though. Only, no 70" only 65 or 75.

If you can cope with 65", the Sony 9000 is king, hands down.

I don't know if it's still happening but JB are giving away a PS4 with every UHD TV they sell. 

Cheers

M

• Like 1

I reckon Sony is the bose of TV rather than Samsung.  Samsung delivers superb picture quality at lower price.  Much of Samsung PQ issues are not related to the quality of their panel but how Samsung set up its presets.   If you are going to calibrate your TV then the obvious choice would be Samsung but if you want out of box performance without calibration Japanese TV like Panasonic and Sony are better because their presets tend to be more accurate.   With your room I would take the Sony 70 inch since it under cut Samsung's  75 inch by $1300 (base on JB ads ) spend the rest on calibration or video processor like Lumagen mini.  Base on my own experience good video processing,  calibration and a good panel combine to make a good TV an excellent TV. 

Well then, Sony's 9000 comes in a 79" Massive and beautiful. I reckon Samsung is the Bose of televisions... ha ha

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55hu7500-201405083761.htm

This Samsung panel is really impressive for a "Bose" A measure Delta E of less than 3 once calibrated is really impressive in my world. I'd like to see other brands tested and what there Delta E figures are, especially when Samsung is one of the cheapest out of the other brands.

Edited by pchan

Oh, and don't worry too much about 200hz. Sony only use 100hz now and it works as well as anything faster. 

M

Just curious - when did they start doing that? I bought a 55" Bravia this year that is 200hz.

Edit: I don't think I'd want to go back to 100 to be honest.

Edited by wim

Just curious - when did they start doing that? I bought a 55" Bravia this year that is 200hz.

Edit: I don't think I'd want to go back to 100 to be honest.

If it is a 2014 model you might find that the actual frame rate is 100hz. Cheers. M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first pick would be the Sony 70" UHD 8500. Great TV. Not fussed about the UHD but pic quality and black levels are great. If you don't care about smart TV then the Sharp 960 70" is beautiful. Love Sharp PQ. Japanese Panel, three year warranty and PQ up there with the best of them.

Not a fan of Samsung but a lot of folk like 'em. I find their PQ off putting and they feel flimsy.  Their Smart TV capability is second to none though. Only, no 70" only 65 or 75.

If you can cope with 65", the Sony 9000 is king, hands down.

I don't know if it's still happening but JB are giving away a PS4 with every UHD TV they sell. 

Cheers

M

Is it just me but are the off axis watching positions not very good with LCD's?    I really like the Sony, however when I watch it a little off to the side its as if you are looking through a side window - not that bad but similar effect.

I don't get that watching off axis with my Pio Kuro as it is clear and easy to watch on or off axis.

Guest yamaha_man

Well l went with the 70" Sony, hope l get a few years out of it.

So, next question!

Whats the go with calibration???

Edited by yamaha_man

They have less flicker than a plasma, virtually none and don't suffer from image retention. I own the latest/last Panasonic 65inch ST model.

LCD panels were not as good at off axis viewing as the plasm as were. In fact, I don't think they do anything as well as plasmas.

Edited by Satanica

I wouldn't go near a Samsung regardless of picture quality within a 10ft pole. They are cheap for a reason because the quality isn't there. Panasonic and Sony's would be my picks based on positive experiences I've had and what I've owned.

• Like 2

I wouldn't go near a Samsung regardless of picture quality within a 10ft pole. They are cheap for a reason because the quality isn't there. Panasonic and Sony's would be my picks based on positive experiences I've had and what I've owned.

I have to agree for the same reasons.

Samsung=3,000hrs... If you are still under warranty, don't expect the same series replacement if it crosses model years. Samsung don't repair as they don't carry spare parts inventory. They get around their statutory obligations by replacing expired product with a technically similar model or by cutting you a heavily depreciated cheque.

Sony may be making huge losses in this space but I don't think they are going to pull out of panels. The build quality is there and you do get a real warranty. Remember, Bravia is Sony's window into the Sony Entertainment Network Catalogue. That is a big AV catalogue and streaming on demand is the future.

Edited by myPal

Guest yamaha_man

So what's all the fuss about calibration?

How's it done and what do l need to do it correctly?

Can l do it or do l have to pay someone to?

You should try calibrating your audio system first! Sorry couldn't resist, ha ha ha :)

Guest yamaha_man

You should try calibrating your audio system first! Sorry couldn't resist, ha ha ha :)

No point calibrating my hifi with the crap gear I'm running, it's all about the look (picture) remember.

Edited by yamaha_man

Essential imo, especially with such a large screen.  Had my Pioneer KRP-600M done a while ago, had about 300hrs up (I really should have it done again as have about 7500hrs up), the picture with factory settings was (I thought) outstanding but when he switched back and forth between what I had been watching and the calibrated picture the difference was not insignificant.  Skin tones & colours so much more natural, black perfect (cannot see the black bars top & bottom during widescreen movie).  I had the guy who owns Avical do it (when he was a one man show), easily worth the expense as you will get the correct calibrations done for normal tv, 1080i (fox HD) & 1080p (bd) , separate settings for each.

Should have added he used a laptop and some type of meter that captured colours from the panel when playing test patterns, the process was pretty much identical to the acoustician who measured my room (though of course he was capturing sound :)

Edited by David.M

Just buy a Blu-ray calibration disc and be done with it.

DVE HD Basics or Spears & Munsil 2nd Ed.

Even Avatar has a calibration chapter.

Defeat all of the post processing options before running the calibration disc. You can always turn some of them back on later specifically for various inputs.

You will want to do this on a Samsung, for sure. They are calibrated for shop display, not your darkened living room.

IMO, professional calibration for later generation panels is not critical.

Edited by myPal

Guest yamaha_man

Just buy a Blu-ray calibration disc and be done with it.

DVE HD Basics or Spears & Munsil 2nd Ed.

Even Avatar has a calibration chapter.

Defeat all of the post processing options before running the calibration disc. You can always turn some of them back on later specifically for various inputs.

Post processing options???