Martin Logan Motion 40 - placement and amplification

Hi Folks,

My quest has come to an end. After auditioning Krix Harmonix Mk II, Elac FS 248, Vienna Acoustics 'Bach' and the Martin Logan Motion series, I have decided on the Martin Logan 40s.

They arrive on Tuesday.

Does anyone have any experince of these speakers. I am particularly interested in learning about optimal placement and amplification. I intend to bi-amp using the bi-amp mode in my Marantz SR7005 AVR.

Regards

Simon

Edited by Siimonn
  • Like 1

Hey Simon

I don't know the speakers at all personally but they do look good and have been getting good reviews.

Using the biamp mode I presume you mean the Marantz can use the extra back channels and reassign them to the fronts. It's a good solution but I suspect known other ML products that you will find the speakers improve with more and higher quality power, so you might want to consider a separate stereo amp in future as an upgrade. Also do you have a sub? Or will your fronts handle all the bass?

In terms of placement, it all depends on your room and the acoustics thereof. As a rule of thumb, make sure you have enough distance between them, don't go too close to back walls or corners and toe them in towards your listening position a bit to begin with....then play around.

Don't know where in nsw you are but happy to visit and help out if you're close enough.

S

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the Motion 20 and I am very happy with them. I tried to bi-amp them and did not notice much improvement, so went back to single amplification. I am using a Vincent SV236MK with Tungsram NOS tubes.

Unfortunately my room is not very large so I have to keep them fairly close to the wall, but I still get great results. Sometimes I move them forward and of course I notice the improvement (bass is a bit more defined, although less powerful).