New record store in Perth

Quick Review based on my lunch break visit.

Holy sh1t! That is some leap of faith by the shop owner, MASSIVE inventory of new vinyl for a start-up. Lost count of the racks (and crates under the racks), but I think it would be close to beating 78s and with 75% of Dada's. Prices looked pretty much on par with 78s and a bit higher than Dadas. Flipping through just a few racks it appears that whoever has done the stocking has chosen the artist and then taken the whole catalogue! eg Emmerson Lake and Palmer? Debut right through to Brain Salad Surgery (and some beyond) in stock :-o Same for Doors, Dire Straits, Eagles (see how far I got in the racks!) Plus of course tonnes of more contemporary artists.

I spoke to one of the staff to get the name of the store, and she says it doesn't have one yet, just "The Vinyl Shop in Plaza Arcade" is what they are using at the moment. I told her I was amazed and impressed with the stock, and she said the boss is a huge vinyl fan and has heaps more that wont fit in there. Looking forward to finding out more about the background of this store for sure.

Absolutely worth a visit if you are into new vinyl. More precise location is Plaza Arcade, 3 or four shops in from the Murray Street Mall entrance.

PS the walls are lined with stock of collectable nick-nack stuff. Which isn't my thing, but the "Ron Burgandy" doll did tempt me.

PPS CDs in stock as well.

PPPS The records are filed under artist first name order, so look for Elvis Presley and Dennis Wilson under E and D respectively. Yeah, they have a Dennis Wilson solo album.

• Like 5

My Dad (who works in town) went in for a browse for me whilst on the phone - picked me up a copy of Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Steppenwolf and the awesome Speakers Corner reissue of Johnny Winters first album.

Can't wait to visit myself, but shopping by proxy is a nice way to curb my spending spree ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked it out today. Great little place.

Just noticed tonight that I managed to pick up a 1994 pressing of Portisehead's Dummy for $40 - currently selling on Discogs for $220!

I'll be going back. Highly recommended to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We were in the city today, so of course I had to have a peek at teh new record store.....

As said above, GREAT range of LP's !

I ended up spending much more than I should have..... but not nearly as much as I wanted too :rolleyes:

Well worth a look, Murray St end of Plaza arcade  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man! I went to the city today and thought I'd check it out.... I couldn't find it! I went all up and down Murphy and Hay St. Malls... only to find out now that it's

In the Plaza, adjacent building next to Carrilion, opposite London Court.

Shame on meeeee!!!!!

At least point me in the right direction.... should I enter the Plaza on Murphy St. or on Hay St?

Alberto

Guest myrantz

It is a little hard to find. 

A bit coz OP mentioned London Court :P... For folks who don't go to the city much, if he says Forrest Chase Myers instead it may be a lot easier :)..

Started from London Court end, and walked all the way to the other end before finding the store....  closed :D.. Almost didn't walk the entire strip as I incorrectly assumed it'd be close to London court.

Shop looks interesting, will find a day and be back there again.

Don't work in the city, can anybody tell me the opening hours (as I don't recall seeing one on the shop front)? Surely the owner is a member here?

Yep, the location in post #1 is way out of whack. Nothing we can do about that, other than many other posts that have given far more correct directions.

The store itself is the subject of much intrigue by other Perth CBD record stores. Rumours of the owner planning to open another two stores in the city block. Speculation on how long it will be in business, if relying on the sales of physical music (and those collectables on the walls) in an expensive retail location in present times. No doubt about the owners passion, but something about it doesn't make sense.

Edited by enikoy

It seems like I'm the only one but I prefer Dada Records. ;)

Certainly not the only one. Dada is better by a long shot, has a better range and better prices. Also the legendary Rob on the front counter :-)

This is the thread about an odd new record store, the Dada love-in thread is over here....

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/67772-shopping-for-vinyl-in-perth/?hl=%2Bdada+%2Bperth#entry1143068

Certainly not the only one. Dada is better by a long shot, has a better range and better prices. Also the legendary Rob on the front counter :-)This is the thread about an odd new record store, the Dada love-in thread is over here....http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/67772-shopping-for-vinyl-in-perth/?hl=%2Bdada+%2Bperth#entry1143068

I wonder how this new store will go sourcing some of the odd things Dadas can get in?

Besides, I reckon we should start a petition to get Rob to stop smoking, we don't want to lose him from our local scene before his time!