Horror Films - Whats your pick?

I've been getting into Zombie movies lately, inspired by enjoying The Walking Dead so much.

Gotta check out and has a thread here - Dead Snow

Only Zombie movies I like are the ones with Milla in them.

Pity with each sequel we get less Milla skin and less zombies, Afterlife she was covered from head-to-toe and from memory had no zombies (and more Matrix)? So never even bothered with Retribution.

Pity with each sequel we get less Milla skin and less zombies, Afterlife she was covered from head-to-toe and from memory had no zombies (and more Matrix)? So never even bothered with Retribution.

I don't watch her for skin, I'm a fan of any action chic that does her own stunts for the best part of it.

No Zombies? you watched a different version to the one I watched then.

Edited by ortofun

I don't watch her for skin, I'm a fan of any action chic that does her own stunts for the best part of it.

Ok ok, I wasn't making any judgement more j/k than anything, didn't know that about her own stunt work in these movies, still her showing skin is not a bad thing :)

Check out Zoe Bell in Death Proof.

No Zombies? you watched a different version to the one I watched then.

Bloody hell man can tone down the attitude, like I said "from memory".. was more about people with the corporation bugs on them and the dude with the T-virus on the ship with Matrix like powers.

Edited by likwidsh0k

Ok ok, I wasn't making any judgement more j/k than anything, didn't know that about her own stunt work in these movies, still her showing skin is not a bad thing :)

Check out Zoe Bell in Death Proof.

Bloody hell man can tone down the attitude, like I said "from memory".. was more about people with the corporation bugs on them and the dude with the T-virus on the ship with Matrix like powers.

No attitude, can't see where you are getting it from *shrug*

I guess I don't watch it for Zombies alone, otherwise I would watch all the other Zombie movies...no big deal ;)

Edited by ortofun

Didn't pick up any attitude from that post either. 

I like a Horror movie where the horror is implied. Its too easy to show some demon thing eating someones head. The real trick is making you think.

I reckon the first Paranormal Activity does this pretty damn well. You never see a thing, you have to imagine the creature that lurks in the house. Brilliant!

Didn't pick up any attitude from that post either. 

I like a Horror movie where the horror is implied. Its too easy to show some demon thing eating someones head. The real trick is making you think.

I reckon the first Paranormal Activity does this pretty damn well. You never see a thing, you have to imagine the creature that lurks in the house. Brilliant!

I am the same when it comes to gore films. I think thats probably what I liked so much about The Others and The Woman In Black. While there was a bit of blood in The Woman In Black, they didn't show it up close by.

The best take ive seen on the horror genre has got to be Cabin In the Woods. That movie blew my mind, if you haven't see it, do yourself a favour!

It was unbelievable. The level of detail that the film went to was amazing. Just when you think you've got it all figured out. BAMM!!! 

Too many to pick a favourite but older ones that scared me at the time were  Psycho, The Exorsist , and more recently a little kown film caled White Noise, it has all sorts of creepy, shadowy background effects. really did creep me out a bit.    

• 2 weeks later...

"Tremors" is a great little movie - I think it was Kevin Bacon's first.  It doesn't take itself too seriously and it's not up there with a lot of the others in the "scary" stakes, but it's still a lot of fun.  Our son was primary school age when we watched it and it was an instant hit with the whole family.

It was a bit of a sleeper when first released in 1990, but has built up a mild cult following.  IMHO, well worth checking out if you missed it.  :thumb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100814/

• Like 2

Guest Misterioso

Lauren Bacall: “Yes, I saw Twilight – my granddaughter made me watch it, she said it was the greatest vampire film ever. After the ‘film’ was over I wanted to smack her across her head with my shoe, but I do not want a (tell-all) book called Grannie Dearest written on me when I die. So instead I gave her a DVD of Murnau’s 1922 masterpiece Nosferatu and told her, ‘Now that’s a vampire film!’ And that goes for all of you! Watch Nosferatu instead!â€.

Nothing to add.

Figure I'll chime in even though all of my favorites have been brought up already:

Orphan is brilliant, more twisted suspense than horror

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is just twisted full stop

Poltergeist scared the scheisse out of me as a young boy. The scene with the skeletons in the water in the unfinished swimming pool..... and yes, that clown doll!!!

Japanese definitely do the 'scare the bejesus out of you' paranormal horror far better than Hollywood, Ring, Grudge, One Missed Call, etc

Once watched a short on SOS on SBS cant remember too much of it except for the Nun who buried people alive, with a string from the coffin attached to a bell above ground. Once it stopped ringing....... Well, you lot can work out the rest. Think it was called Sister Mary or similar.

I love Horror films but only two have ever truly scared me.

The Exorcist and The Blair Witch Project. The last 10 minutes of the latter is still the most nerve-wracking sequence I've ever watched...

Cheers

M

Although the Exorcist is my all time fav movie I found it more shocking than scary however films like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity left me unhinged for weeks afterwards much like a lot of the Jap stuff.

• Like 2

Blair Witch Project.......really guys?

:blink:

I watch a bit of it and it just looked like a few kids messing around and being silly.....on a shoe string budget and doing it badly, oh I had friends that were saying It's true! It's real! it happened!

I guess in the area of horror... we are very diverse in what works for each of us :)

Blair Witch had a lot of people fooled when it first came out.

:lol:

Reports of people throwing up at the cinema because it was SO SCARY.

could just have been motion sickness from the shaky camera, who knows ;)

The hype around it probably contributed a great deal as well, at the time.

It was something new and different.

I didn't see it when it came out and by the time I got around to it, the internet was in full swing and everyone knew it was fake and not really that scary.

It had a couple of good moments, but for the most part it didn't do much for me to be honest.

The last 5-10 min was the best really.

:)

Blair Witch marketing definitely appealed a lot more than most horror films I must admit. I don't think any film has really got the same marketing longevity as a really freaky and scary film as the original exorcist. 

Blair witch did quite a great job to be able to ensue it as a scary movie, the thing that is the most scary for most is the anticipation of nothing, most people watching scary films tend to wish nothing actually ends up being scary. The moment before something big happens (or not happens) can be more unnerving than the actual thing thats in the plot to scare you haha.

The last 5-10 min was really the best for me too, but no doubt part of the build up to that moment I think is contributed to not a lot happening in the film so you don't really expect it haha.

My experience of Blair Witch had a lot to do with the surroundings I saw it in. Was at Moonlight Cinema in the Botanical Gardens in Melbourne years ago before all the fruit bars were moved out. As it got dark the movie started and the bats got up and started to fly around. Extra free atmosphere for an already spooky movie.

• Like 2

My experience of Blair Witch had a lot to do with the surroundings I saw it in. Was at Moonlight Cinema in the Botanical Gardens in Melbourne years ago before all the fruit bars were moved out. As it got dark the movie started and the bats got up and started to fly around. Extra free atmosphere for an already spooky movie.

:lol:

4D cinema

^_^