A small gathering in Joz' cave ...

Marc

• Administrator

Sunday evening saw a small gathering at the house of @@joz, a truly beautiful house in sunny Elwood.

Having not spent time with SGR's Illuminator's, I wasn't really sure what to expect, other than BIG, DYNAMIC sound. The truth is, the Illuminators are very, very capable loudspeakers. With a digital only (unmodded Squeezebox Classic) signal chain they were certainly most impressive, despite the fact that they are not performing in optimum conditions (room placement / treatment), being a dual-purpose family and living area. I would love to hear what they could do in a true, dedicated audio room!

The highlight really came towards the end of the night however, when the volume was turned up to 11 and joz queued up the "demo" playlist. Wow.
I've not (ever) heard speakers handle the cannons of 1812 Overture with such ease, they were simply no problem for the Illuminators.

Aside from the usual antics of this pack of regular rat-bags, many jokes were had (at everyone else's expense of course!), the food, drink and especially the coffee (seriously, get on this stuff roasted by joz himself!) were nothing less than superb.

The selection of tunes was very enjoyable (I shazam'd at least 80% of the tracks being played) and not a single track was skipped throughout the course of the night.

@'s cake was popular, as were my two home-made salami's which were devoured in no time at all.

What an enjoyable evening and thanks so much to joz for the hospitality and the opportunity to spend an evening in his fine home and remarkable Hi-Fi system!

post-103433-0-26761600-1411345546_thumb.

post-103433-0-24352000-1411345548_thumb.

post-103433-0-90928300-1411345549_thumb.

post-103433-0-19535400-1411345552_thumb.

post-103433-0-91148800-1411345553_thumb.

post-103433-0-61070100-1411345555_thumb.

post-103433-0-73549600-1411345557_thumb.

post-103433-0-98404300-1411345559_thumb.

post-103433-0-06662600-1411345562_thumb.

post-103433-0-55024900-1411345563_thumb.

• Like 4

Thanks for the pics Marc and a pity I couldn't make it, but we had Dale's 60th on Saturday night and I was definitely not in any condition on Sunday to make the trip into Elwood!! :hiccup  I do note that young @@djb managed Saturday night out here and Joz's place on Sunday..................well done David. :thumb:

I've had the pleasure of listening to the Illuminators several times at Joz's place and they are a sensational loudspeaker. It looks like all the usual miscreants turned up too and I'm really sorry I couldn't make it. Next time, Joe.

Cheers,

Keith

@@cheekyboy you young blokes gotta learn how to pace yourselves.

These ILLUMINATORS are a stunning package

Perhaps because they give an initial image of a bank o rock concert speakers I sort of anticipated a brash or harsh presentation

I know Stewart I should not have thought this after the MT 3 s

Delightful SQ reproduced all kinds of music beautifully

@evil avangelist brought interesting music and the cake which hadn't been cut when I left < one difficulty with pacing yourself.

Listening to some Tex Perkins that Evil brought - id never heard him

The presentation in my tiny room on Tannoys is somewhat different!

Listening to some Tex Perkins that Evil brought - id never heard him

@@djb...........Rachael would have loved that, she's a huge Tex fan along with Tim Rogers, who you may also not heard a lot of.

Learn how to pace myself you say............I think it was the several hours after you left that did me in for anything useful happening on Sunday!! :D

Cheers,

Keith

My Apologies for not Attending,

The BOSS; better 1/2, took a sicky so we can get out into the Dandenong to a tulip display. Great day as she normally works and alternate between evening one week and morning the the next, this is the only time we are together for the w/end. Got back late and wasn't feeling all that great. Next time JOZ.

There was also a rare sighting of @@djb with coffee in hand also ....

Truth is, there was no red left! :P

Do ya think it he would have notice by the look on his face....:)

@@Marc, thanks for all the great pics.I didn't realise that you had taken so many. :thumb:

I really feel that they captured the evening extremely well.

The late afternoon start went until midnight and quite a few of the guys were getting the where are you texts from the bosses :lol: hehe! sorry boys!

For all the guys that made it, a big thanks.It's your company that makes these events so enjoyable. I would have invited a much bigger list but I really wanted to keep the numbers a bit smaller this time.

But rest assured I'll do it again soonish! :thumb:

What can I say I really do enjoy having GTGs.

Graham even got a bit of frotaging in with Mal, very nice :eek: :confused:

Marc bought some very yummy home made salami, just not enough ;) it went down very easily :thumb:

Hopefully I'll get to move the speakers out and repositioned before the next GTG, easier said than done with the Illuminators. :(

Great pics Marc and thanks for sharing, looks like a great evening.

@@joz ,  is that a Yamaha PF800 TT I see in your cabinet of goodies?

Yes it  is Grumps, but it lay dormant for the evening.

I even made sure it was working before the event just in case, it hadn't had a spin for about 6-8 months.

But what can I say I'm not really a vinyl guy. :)

Edited by joz

Well it was another extravagant gtg soire'e at joz's swanky abode with everything appearing larger than life compared to normal proportions - the Illuminators really are a force to behold providing "ear-bleeding" levels of volume (sorry @cheekyboy) filling every nook of the cavernous living space although it was slightly lower in volume by the pool table some 20 + metres away!

These really do provide a sound akin to actually being at a live venue so succeed admirably and we enjoyed putting his system through it's paces with a very broad repertoire of genres which were handled with ease and great aplomb.

Also achieved a new record for the longest gtg I've attended with the last few stragglers (Marc, Sierra, and I) leaving early this morning after arriving around 4pm - time certainly evaporated due to the frivolities going on through the evening.

I managed to snap a few interesting shots which while not in Marc's league - have some shock value!

Think I've solved the riddle of @@djb 's remarkable gtg endurance employing new underhanded tricks to sustain the vertical position!

Thanks for a fantastic occasion Joz - real benchmark gtg heights to aspire to!  :thumb:

P.S. Thanks again for the lift home @@Sierra !

Also a message to @@Yamaha Man from Unclemack in regard to his never attending gatherings!  :cool:

Trevor (@@Sir Sanders Zingmore) looking as pretty as a picture (not @@Marc though!  :P )

Sustenance for the evening!

post-116153-0-36927200-1411352785_thumb.

post-116153-0-33323400-1411353952_thumb.

post-116153-0-52455100-1411353998_thumb.

post-116153-0-23569300-1411354020_thumb.

post-116153-0-80345000-1411354039_thumb.

post-116153-0-54603900-1411354059_thumb.

Edited by evil angelist

A new bromance flourishes

I'm so proud it started at my place :D

Btw, these two are Malcom and Graham (Gee Em/ aka MrHappy Pants)no wonder!

_DSC6562.JPG

Edited by joz
  • Like 4

Great pic's Marc and thanks for sharing.

Nice work Joz, not having an armchair or couch is probably the only way of keeping 'Rip Van Sweet Spot' awake

Some people with go to any lengths to hog the sweet spot. Just imagine the hide of someone to commandeer a chair to do that!

Looks like a great evening with superb speakers.

From left to right

Graham (Happy Pants)

Marc

Trevor  (Sir Sanders)

Malcolm (Mrs happy)

Alan (Sierra)

Joz

Michael(Uncle Mack) Front

motley group_211747.jpg

Clive (Evil Evangalist)

_DSC6546.JPG

David (DJB)