Empirical Off-Ramp v5 - anybody have one?

I have one.

Its very good - just a few issues - not with how good it is - but still important considerations.

1.  It's very expensive.  Its better than cheaper options I tried it against - but the price difference better - that's the issue.  For me - yes - but others view it differently.  Still there is a limit on what I am willing to pay and his new one has reached that for me.

2.  Steve claims his switch mode power supply is good.  I actually believed him but one day I was with a tech and we popped it on a scope - horrid.  Anyway the tech built me a special linear power supply - much better.

3.  Steve knows this and has a very expensive option called the dynamo power supply.  That's fine, but with his latest Off-Ramp it will be standard - and the base price will be going sky high - I think he mentioned something like $2600.00 - and that's just the base price.

4.  Because of this I asked the same tech that built me the power supply to build me his own USB converter.  He has finished that and is going to do some listening tests compared to the Off-Ramp.  I have zero idea what the outcome will be.  But providing its at least close to the Off-Ramp I will be switching to it.  I simply cant get exited about his new stuff and the prices he wants to charge.

I have tried it with a number of DAC's - WFS, Chord, Metrum, Burson and other stuff I cant recall off my head.  In nearly all cases it made a significant improvement.

Its the second best source I have heard with my Killer DAC, only a heavily upgraded Wadia with a clock running off batteries was better - but even then not everyone agreed.  It was much better than an Oppo as source for instance.  Also we found the I2S cable to be very important - a simple CAT 5 cable worked best.  I2S was better than SPDIF. 

Bottom line - its good - better than other stuff I tried it against - but getting too pricey for me, and I suspect others as well.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba

I'm Surprised it took Bill this long to suss out Empirical Audio products 

SN said his SWPS was "good"--the Tech found it was "Horrid"-- Not quite the word I'd use over all but I've never thought the Goods were long term listenable frankly 

I've tried to covert his demos and at least 4/5 occasions--unfortunately the Digititus "bite' became too much--sorry Snodge--I'd look elsewhere .

Willco

Edited by Willco
  • Like 1

SN said his SWPS was "good"--the Tech found it was "Horrid"-- Not quite the word I'd use over all but I've never thought the Goods were long term listenable frankly 

That was on the scope - it had horrid hash.  A linear power supply that fixed it had to be better - and it was.  Its not unlistenable with that supply - the linear one just sounds better.

I think Willco is referring to Steve's Overdrive DAC.  I have heard mixed opinions about it - some side with Willco - others think its the bees knees.

However I have learned to trust Willcos ear.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

I have one.

Its very good - just a few issues - not with how good it is - but still important considerations.

1.  It's very expensive.  Its better than cheaper options I tried it against - but the price difference better - that's the issue.  For me - yes - but others view it differently.  Still there is a limit on what I am willing to pay and his new one has reached that for me.

2.  Steve claims his switch mode power supply is good.  I actually believed him but one day I was with a tech and we popped it on a scope - horrid.  Anyway the tech built me a special linear power supply - much better.

3.  Steve knows this and has a very expensive option called the dynamo power supply.  That's fine, but with his latest Off-Ramp it will be standard - and the base price will be going sky high - I think he mentioned something like $2600.00 - and that's just the base price.

4.  Because of this I asked the same tech that built me the power supply to build me his own USB converter.  He has finished that and is going to do some listening tests compared to the Off-Ramp.  I have zero idea what the outcome will be.  But providing its at least close to the Off-Ramp I will be switching to it.  I simply cant get exited about his new stuff and the prices he wants to charge.

I have tried it with a number of DAC's - WFS, Chord, Metrum, Burson and other stuff I cant recall off my head.  In nearly all cases it made a significant improvement.

Its the second best source I have heard with my Killer DAC, only a heavily upgraded Wadia with a clock running off batteries was better - but even then not everyone agreed.  It was much better than an Oppo as source for instance.  Also we found the I2S cable to be very important - a simple CAT 5 cable worked best.  I2S was better than SPDIF. 

Bottom line - its good - better than other stuff I tried it against - but getting too pricey for me, and I suspect others as well.

Thanks

Bill 

At that price the Berkeley USB converter starts to look cheap!

That was on the scope - it had horrid hash.  A linear power supply that fixed it had to be better - and it was.  Its not unlistenable with that supply - the linear one just sounds better.

I think Wilco is referring to Steve's Overdrive DAC.  I have heard mixed opinions about it - some side with Wilco - others think its the bees knees.

However I have learned to trust Wilcos ear.

Thanks

Bill

I have wondered why you never were moved to try his Overdrive Dac. Steve thinks its wonderful, not suprisingly.

I have wondered why you never were moved to try his Overdrive Dac. Steve thinks its wonderful, not suprisingly.

And he has also raised its price in the same way.  He introduced the SE version, and that's now his standard version with a base model price of US $6400.00.

You may or may notlike his DAC, but that's pretty much standard for any product ie some will go ga ga over it while others - ho-hum.  But for me they are simply getting too pricey.

That said, to be fair, knowing a number of small boutique makers, its simply what you need to stay in business.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba