Freebie AntiVirus Programs

How long is a piece of string?

I have been using AVG Free for years and it works for me as I don't get viruses. But I would be loathe to call it the best without having tried all the others

I use it in conjunction with several other programmes such as the anti malware free product called Malwarebytes.

I am sure others will chime in with their ideas soon

• Like 2

I assume you are running windows.

If you are v7 or higher, Windows defender is quite good, on my windows unit I use that with AVG.

On my mac I use ClamXav to pick up any viruses in (windows and) mail documents so I don't spread them.

No problems with Avast Free on my laptop.

For the last 3 or 4 years I've had the paid 3 PC/2 Year licence edition of Kaspersky on the Desktop and kids laptops at home, so not as much experience with the free products.

Has done it's job well and is excellent value.

The other thing I consider worthwhile is to have a User account that does not have Administrator privileges, and use that account for most activities, especially online stuff.

• Like 1

I am another long time user of Avast Free, using it along side Spybot Serch and Destroy and also install EMET.

I in the past have used AVG, but it went through a buggy stage so I moved on. Tried a few but can't recall the exact reasions for dumping them, I also gave MS security a go, but that did not go well at all....

The other thing I consider worthwhile is to have a User account that does not have Administrator privileges, and use that account for most activities, especially online stuff.

Second that.

If your main user is not an administrator then most virus attempts are blocked immediately.

You can get Bitdefender for 6months for free http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/60-second/index.html

Would be pretty hard to top that

I paid for 'Bitdefender' and also 'Norton' in the past.

But I've been using Windows defender for the last 3 years with no problems at all!

I did the 'comparisons' on all the major web sites and at the end of the day 'Windows Defender' was as good as the rest!

The main differences are the extra features you get with the other 'paid' for programs. BUT that has nothing to do with the actual 'protection'!

If you take the time to 'compare' all of the anti-virus programs, there is almost negligible difference between most of the well known programs.

Why pay for something that you can get for free? Compliments from 'Windows'!

Having tried and used a huge number of different free and paid programs over the past decade or more, I've come to the conclusion that it's much of a muchness.

Some programs slow the computer down however if you have the real-time protection on.

I've found that it's always best to have at least two different ones as they catch different nasties.

Most programs will tell you they can't operate as you have another one installed which is mostly BS.

Some programs will delete certain downloaded files thinking they are viruses.

I hear people say "Been using [program x] for years and never had a virus" all the time.

Try running a different program and see what it tells you.

You might be surprised.

Of course it depends on what you do on the internet.

If all you do is browse forums and check emails you're generally pretty safe.

One thing to avoid downloading is programs of any kind that comes with a TOOLBAR.

Those things are the work of the devil and guaranteed to bring unwanted visitors.

Some are next to impossible to uninstall as well....

Have had a few of them even when getting programs from "reputable safe" sites like Download.com....

:)

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

That's a good point DVP, no app is 100% effective a 100% of the time and It's is a race to plug holes via updates before something gets through.

I have often run Avast and a few spyware apps on PCs that have well regarded security apps, and often find something that was missed.

Avast can miss things too, as can any app.

Edit: oh.... I hate toolbars, search or otherwise, and those damn optimising app's grr...ok, I'm straying off OT :)

Edited by ortofun

Like AVG?

I dunno, does it?

Haven't used AVG for years.

NoAdware used to be good but haven't used that either for a long time.

We had PC Tools for a year as it came free with Westpac online banking.

I liked that.

Didn't slow the PC down too much and seemed to find lots of nasties.

:)

Superantispyware is good.

I'd also recommend CCLEANER which isn't so much of a virus program bit more of a tidy-up program which gets rid of a lot of temporary files and cookies and other things you probably wouldn't know were causing minor problems and slowing your PC down, all in one go.

I usually find that the PC speeds up a bit after using it.

;)

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

This is a very good point that I hadn't considered before.

It's obvious once someone mentions it...

It's obvious once someone mentions it...

Running Windows will always have wide open unlocked back doors even on a non-admin login.

If you want to use a different login strategy to run a very safe configuration you might as well do it properly.

Install Ubuntu as a dual boot.

• Like 1

One thing to avoid downloading is programs of any kind that comes with a TOOLBAR.

The important thing is to 'un-check' the box that asks if you want the 'toolbar' installed!

It's easy to overlook that if you're flying through an install and just keep clicking 'next', 'next', etc!

I've slowed down a lot more recently when I install new program. And I make sure I actually 'read' what each step is going to do 'before' I click onwards and regret my actions later on!

Small price to pay for keeping my computer 'clean'! (well, sort of)!

I know you said 'free' but you can get oem versions of norton, mcafee etc for about $30 in many computer shops around Sydney. Not sure if its the same elsewhere. They are only supposed to sell it with a prebuilt system but many just have them sitting on the counter for anyone to buy. Exactly the same as the $100 version in dick smith.

I know you said 'free' but you can get oem versions of norton, mcafee etc for about $30 in many computer shops around Sydney. Not sure if its the same elsewhere. They are only supposed to sell it with a prebuilt system but many just have them sitting on the counter for anyone to buy. Exactly the same as the $100 version in dick smith.

Personally I wouldn't even bother!

Take a look at the 'comparisons' between all the anti-virus programs (free and paid) and the difference is just the 'extras' they give you that you don't really need anyway.

I 'paid' for Norton for a few years and also Bitdefender but when I actually 'compared them all, Windows was just as good in the end!

Haven't paid for one since!

Yes I know several technically inclined people who dont use virus protection at all and stay virus free. At the end of the day it has a lot to do with the type of sites visited.

• Like 2