Which 60" to 70" LED/LCD to get

Evening

Looking at a new TV to be wall mounted in the lounge and something that consumes less power than the old Pana 50" , which I really don't want to wall mount .

Price I'm looking at spending @ $4K less would be better , I'm a tight ar5e . Main used TV watching movies some down loaded content :-) .

Cheers

Im bias, the Samsung 7 series are amazing..  The LG is increadibly good.  However Im not that into the curve idea.  I just bought a Samsumg 55 series 6 3D smart LED, not as good as the 7 series but I wasnt going to pay more than $1500, JB in Hopper Crossing gave me a price I couldnt refuse. :)  It is one of the most energy efficient in its range, the LG are very good if not better.   Im super happy with it even though its not as good as the Samsung 7 series 55 LED which is almost $300-400 more. 

You're in Werribee, you can come and check it out in Point Cook, or go to JB in Hopper :thumb:

Edited by pchan

Does the curved screen help with off axis viewing .

When you pay for a panel at this calibre, most have IPS glass or should have it! and the off axis view is excellent considering its LED LCD.  You really need to go into the store and check this out yourself.  In the 55 inch range of all the panels Panasonic, LG, Sharp, Sony, only the Samsung series 6 55 3D doenst have IPS glass, but Im happy with it because I dont view them off axis and calibration isnt done off axis..  The curve ones to me gives an illusion that it has more deph in the image, however the Samsung series 7 flat is that good it puts depth in the image.  If I wanted to spend $2-2.2K I would have no issue in getting the series 7, however 4K and OLED is about to flood the market, thats why I didnt think it was ideal to spend the extra $400-500 or the extra warranty.  JB are selling there panels with an extra years warranty covered by them,  but its undocumented!

Samsung Series 9 4K screens are amazing.  Don't listen to anyone who says you can't pick the difference on a smaller screen - I've got the 55 inch and you can spot the difference between it and the series 8, 7, et. al. easily.  I have my PC hooked up to it (there's not too many other ways to get 4k material at the moment) and it makes for a great monitor.

Does the curved screen help with off axis viewing .

NOOO!

IMO it only really has benefit if sitting directly in front at the optimum distance. A sweet spot so to speak.

Sitting off axis makes it more difficult to see the closest edge of the screen.

Edited by joz

I was looking / daydreaming about replacing our TV ... Panasonic 60" model 60a430 has been on special under 1.5k and looked pretty good to me - no 3d, no smart TV (I don't need it - a computer is connected so it is pointless), no 4k ... No gimmicks, just a TV that looks good. The purchasing decision was rejected by swmbo but I reckon it was good buying.

Edited by hochopeper

Curved Tube TV's , too old fashioned. Got to have a flat tube TV, soon too old fashioned. Got to have a Flat Plasma TV, soon too old fashioned. Now a curved LCD is a must have (according to the marketers).

The circle is complete

• Like 1

Let her have a few ... As long as she doesn't win the one about the giant subwoofer on the wall!

Gill likes the idea of the TH going on the wall it's not in the room . If we went a bigger screen I don't think it would of allowed enough room for the PSE-144 either side . One thing the screen will make the 18" AE's look small :-) .

In the end the curved screen didn't look right from viewing from the angle .

Cheers

• Like 1

Your budget is a bit light for the current cutting edge range of TV, personally I would spend a bit more, the Sony KD70X8500 is pretty good, still not top of the range at $6k, but bound to be able to get a deal to bring it to under $5k, (65" more in budget range).

Your budget is a bit light for the current cutting edge range of TV, personally I would spend a bit more, the Sony KD70X8500 is pretty good, still not top of the range at $6k, but bound to be able to get a deal to bring it to under $5k, (65" more in budget range).

Its smarter than me so it will do ,$5K was the limit I wanted to spend for a TV .But did get just over $2K off  top of the range King Koil ensemble in the deal :) .

Cutting edge is a waste of time for me ,I still use tube's in my stereo :)

Cheers