IsoTek Polaris power board

Sigh!

I said I'd never do it.

I believed that decent power management in quality components made any sort of power conditioning non-essential and essentially inaudible. And audiophile power cords were snake oil.

At a recent get-together one member brought an IsoTek filtering power board and its associated Premier power cable. The board has six isolated and individually filtered power sockets. The cord is fully shielded. Connected to the high-end system in place it made a definite difference--we all heard it. Most of us liked it, some weren't sure. The owner said that the changes he heard here were minor compared to the significant improvements in his home system (which I had also heard). So I ordered a set on a two week trial from Toma Audio.

I live in a strictly suburban area, on the verge of a large nature park, and there are no industries close by to put "trash" into the power supply. My equipment is all pretty reasonable, finishing up in SGR CX4F speakers on multiple metres of extension cords to the power boxes for the active amping. So I wasn't really expecting much difference.

I played a few of my favourite albums one night, both vinyl and digital. Then I plugged the turntable, computer, DAC, pre-amp and the two speakers into the power conditioner and the conditioner into the wall. The improvement was immediate and startling.

The bass response of the system became seemingly deeper and was definitely more defined and detailed. The SGRs have response down to 10 Hz in my room and suddenly the deepest musical notes were also more prominent and tuneful. Drums had more of that "thwack" that they exhibit live.

The mid-range, female voices and acoustic guitar were purer and less "dirty". The "dirty" sound of dirty guitars stayed that way so there was no generic smoothing that can take the life out of music. Tracks that were emotionally engaging before became more so. The spread of sounds between and even outside the speakers was more continuous and the imaging of individual instruments (on recordings that had such) was enhanced. This continued to be more noticeable on vinyl.

With my power supply and equipment the Polaris/Premier were a cost effective upgrade.

Sigh!

I said I'd never do it.

I was wrong.

The loaners aren't going back, I bought them.

And I don't even sell them.

Greg

Edited by GregWormald
  • Like 5

Sigh!

I said I'd never do it.

I believed that decent power management in quality components made any sort of power conditioning non-essential and essentially inaudible. And audiophile power cords were snake oil.

At a recent get-together one member brought an IsoTek filtering power board and its associated Premier power cable. The board has six isolated and individually filtered power sockets. The cord is fully shielded. Connected to the high-end system in place it made a definite difference--we all heard it. Most of us liked it, some weren't sure. The owner said that the changes he heard here were minor compared to the significant improvements in his home system (which I had also heard). So I ordered a set on a two week trial from Toma Audio.

I live in a strictly suburban area, on the verge of a large nature park, and there are no industries close by to put "trash" into the power supply. My equipment is all pretty reasonable, finishing up in SGR CX4F speakers on multiple metres of extension cords to the power boxes for the active amping. So I wasn't really expecting much difference.

I played a few of my favourite albums one night, both vinyl and digital. Then I plugged the turntable, computer, DAC, pre-amp and the two speakers into the power conditioner and the conditioner into the wall. The improvement was immediate and startling.

The bass response of the system became seemingly deeper and was definitely more defined and detailed. The SGRs have response down to 10 Hz in my room and suddenly the deepest musical notes were also more prominent and tuneful. Drums had more of that "thwack" that they exhibit live.

The mid-range, female voices and acoustic guitar were purer and less "dirty". The "dirty" sound of dirty guitars stayed that way so there was no generic smoothing that can take the life out of music. Tracks that were emotionally engaging before became more so. The spread of sounds between and even outside the speakers was more continuous and the imaging of individual instruments (on recordings that had such) was enhanced. This continued to be more noticeable on vinyl.

With my power supply and equipment the Polaris/Premier were a cost effective upgrade.

Sigh!

I said I'd never do it.

I was wrong.

The loaners aren't going back, I bought them.

And I don't even sell them.

Greg

Greg

Welcome to the idiots society.

Would you please post the results of the dbt that you did to come to the conclusion that you did or one can only deduce that this "placebo" fellow travels down to SA as well.

If you would be so kind could you please also PM me a list of all the equipment you are running so. Then I can add it the list of "poorly designed equipment" that I should avoid in future because according to the "experts" only poorly designed equipment will respond in this way.

Hey, maybe we could start a thread of shame listing all of the poorly designed equipment that responds positively to power cords or power filtration so everybody on Sna knows to avoid auditioning or purchasing components on said list.

Tongue now removed from cheek.

Excellent to hear your experiences.

There are lots of us out here in music land that understand exactly what you have experienced and will read your post with a big smile.

We will also be very pleased that you have achieved such a cost-effective system-wide improvement.

Have fun with music

Rawl

• Like 4

I do wish people would stop posting stories of the improvement power conditioners and power cables make in their system. There is a drought on here (even if it is raining at present) and I am supposed to be economising, watching the pennies, etc and these posts make me ohhhh, so tempted, so please cease and desist or I may do something rash. :-)

I do wish people would stop posting stories of the improvement power conditioners and power cables make in their system. There is a drought on here (even if it is raining at present) and I am supposed to be economising, watching the pennies, etc and these posts make me ohhhh, so tempted, so please cease and desist or I may do something rash. :-)

I am in exactly same position as you. We bought a new unit and aim is to pay off the mortgage in full when we move in next year, but every time I read this sort of feedback on what it can do a system or bargains to be had in classified section, very tempting and can get dangerous. Spent $2k on two components this week as the offer was too good to refuse, if I didn't grab them I don't think I could have slept well!
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Being rather syndical about the benefits of power conditioners & the difference different power cords could make I rose the challenge of trialling some Isotek products.

I had a EVO3 Sirius power board & some EVO3 Premier cords to try out in my system. I plugged everything together, quite confidentially not expecting any noticeable improvement.   The first Album I played sounded clearer, more defined and generally sharper?  The more tracks I listened to, I could hear a cleaner mid & crisper bass sound.  I thought that it must be my imagination running away and a serious placebo attack!

I then unplugged the Isotek gear and put the system back to how it was prior.  Unfortunately it sounded slightly flat in comparison so now it looks as though I will have to cough up for some of this Isotek product.

Definately not reduced dynamics in my system. Take up the kind offer. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers Dave.

Likewise with mine  - definitely not reduced. In fact the opposite. A bigger, fully and more natural sound from my system. Those words from my girlfriend who came over not knowing what I'd bought. The first thing she said when walking in to the music being played was, 'OK, what have you bought now?' 'It sounds different - a lot bigger and more real.'

Also, my more subjective interpretation of video quality is that all movies seem far more vibrant and detailed. I am absolutely positive of this as I am seeing things I didn't see previously.

• Like 1

To many glowing comments to ignore so i took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Polaris and 2 Evo3 cables.

I have an interesting ground/hum issue with my new Luxman 507U whereby using its internal phono stage results in an unacceptable amount of noise if the power is also connected to my Schiit Gungnir dac (which is connected to the lux. via RCA leads). Removing power to the dac significiently resuses the noise floor for vinyl playback so its definately a power related issue so im keen to see if Polaris has any effect on this.

Not so long ago I remember people are thinking these power filters/conditioners and cables are "audiofool" purchases. They still do actually :D.

I myself was involved in a somewhat epic thread in power cables and conditioners where people simply refuse to acknowledge their usefulness - worst of all they never bother to try 'em, or bother going to member's place that use 'em... 

Somewhere out there on the Interwebz, somebody definitely is laughing at you - at the end of the day, you guys probably don't mind or care. But I'm left asking, why can't these so called experts just try it out? Or measure the better SNR... What are they afraid of? So what if it doesn't work on their setup, or they can't hear the benefits. The amount of time spent arguing on the Internet is surely more time wasted than a free trial?

It's great to see at least some people being less resistive now, and kudos to you all for being brave enough to actually post. Kudos to the retailer for the "try before you buy" initiative too :thumb: .

Hi Guys,

I installed the IsoTek filtering power board and its associated Premier power cable on Friday night after a work colleague sold them to me as "surplus to his requirements"

Audio memory being what it is, I noticed no difference in the sound having not listened to the stereo for 24hrs - I got home, unplugged the old boards, plugged in IsoTek and had a listen.

I'm not saying there was no difference, I just didn't hear a difference (likely my cloth ears).

To many glowing comments to ignore so i took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Polaris and 2 Evo3 cables.

I have an interesting ground/hum issue with my new Luxman 507U whereby using its internal phono stage results in an unacceptable amount of noise if the power is also connected to my Schiit Gungnir dac (which is connected to the lux. via RCA leads). Removing power to the dac significiently resuses the noise floor for vinyl playback so its definately a power related issue so im keen to see if Polaris has any effect on this.

I have a hum issue on my tweeter amp, which I never expected the IsoTek to fix, and it didn't.

I'm a believer in clean power helping to reduce the noise floor, and removing any DC from the AC is especially important (not sure if IsoTek does this?) - particularly for video.

I've also got more peace of mind knowing that I've got much better surge protection than previously.

But in the scale of what upgrades make a bigger difference to the sound, IMHO acoustic treatment of the room has a significantly more profound effect on the sound way above a power cable upgrade.

Just my opinion following my install of the IsoTek board and power cable.

cheers

Mike

• Like 4

Then I can add it the list of "poorly designed equipment" that I should avoid in future because according to the "experts" only poorly designed equipment will respond in this way.

Why is the notion that you can build a power supply which is not affected by the mains so controversial ?!?!

I own (much) more 'fancy power gear' than I should.... and it makes no difference on a lot of my equipment.....   some it does.    Go figure.

• 3 months later...

Received my Isotek Evo 3 Polaris board today from the SNA classifieds and plugged it all in.

Had to use a generic cable, it had no cable in the box. A sizeable, solid piece of equipment, quite heavy and robust.

It definitely makes a difference. The music seemed to 'fill out' a bit more, like it was a week after xmas, haha. No detrimental effects to detail or rythym etc, everything that was there before is still there now...just more of it.

Fantastic, I am very happy, for $350 it has been a great addition, will be interesting to see how much more a PS Audio regenerator will do whenever I audition one.

For now, am a happy chappy, if you get the chance, try one!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...