El 84 amplifiers

djb

Bod Carver Black Magic EL 84 amp for sale in classifieds made me wonder why this valve is so little used these days.

Giving out 20 watt push pull takes us back to the Leak stereo 20 of the 1960s (must reengage with mine).

Is it a fashion change or are their thought to be better valve for this application these days?

Are they more finicky to construct with more valves needed?

While KT 88 sound fine, to my ears, they don't have the .... Finesse of the EL84

• Like 1

Bod Carver Black Magic EL 84 amp for sale in classifieds made me wonder why this valve is so little used these days.

Giving out 20 watt push pull takes us back to the Leak stereo 20 of the 1960s (must reengage with mine).

Is it a fashion change or are their thought to be better valve for this application these days?

Are they more finicky to construct with more valves needed?

While KT 88 sound fine, to my ears, they don't have the .... Finesse of the EL84

I completely agree, would take a good single ended el84 over most 300b amps anyday.

@blinky@Malcolm

NOW HALF A MO BLINKY!

I did NOT say that .

I d probably take the 300B on most occassions

I have two of each

300b: time machine and Cary audio mojo blocks built by mr Hab himself big things 4 X 300b per side.

El84: stereo 20 push pull and a hifi world kit SET at about 5 w

Very different machines

Different price points too

There are a few good reasons why EL84s are not that popular and, I suspect, a lot more "not good" reasons!!  

They are just not fashionable.  They don't look that impressive compared to KT88s or 300Bs.  You need to run them in Pentode/Ultralinear mode to get decent power but this has negative connotations compared to Triode operation.  They're cheap and can be used in relatively simple, low voltage circuits (compared with KT88 and 300B) so they were often used in the base model of a range.  This re-enforces the impression of them being a "low-budget, low-performance" alternative which is not accurate at all.

• Like 1

There are a few good reasons why EL84s are not that popular and, I suspect, a lot more "not good" reasons!!  

They are just not fashionable.  They don't look that impressive compared to KT88s or 300Bs.  You need to run them in Pentode/Ultralinear mode to get decent power but this has negative connotations compared to Triode operation.  They're cheap and can be used in relatively simple, low voltage circuits (compared with KT88 and 300B) so they were often used in the base model of a range.  This re-enforces the impression of them being a "low-budget, low-performance" alternative which is not accurate at all.

By them in bulk , Bias them hard in triode , replace every 6 months to 12 months an enjoy the sweat sound .

300B's are so over priced , it's a joke . When it's all about the circuit to get the best out of the tube .

Cheers

• Like 1

Check out the Tom Evans Audio Design Linear A and Tom Evans Linear B power amps.

They are, to my mind, the ultimate exploration of the EL84 tube and they are sublime. I have never heard any amp that does rock n roll better. The dymanic range, slam and speed on the transients are end game. 

Moving from them to my Dartzeel was an sidegrade rather than an upgrade. 

• Like 3

Check out the Tom Evans Audio Design Linear A and Tom Evans Linear B power amps.

They are, to my mind, the ultimate exploration of the EL84 tube and they are sublime. I have never heard any amp that does rock n roll better. The dymanic range, slam and speed on the transients are end game. 

Moving from them to my Dartzeel was an sidegrade rather than an upgrade. 

I have auditioned a TE Linear A feed by a Plinius 101 into a Zu Essence speakers - sorry not sure on the pre-amp - and i could not agree more - fantastic and end game on the amps! 

I love my Audion El34 it's not push pull so it's got all of 8 class A watts.  I am love the combination of sweet tones with clean and fast transients it offers. 

I dream of a AMR cd-77 into TE liner A or B's to a Zu definition IV or Trenner & Friedl RA.  How out of fashion is that!

• Like 2

@

"its not true what they are saying about you"< your the,only one saying rude things about me

@@Luc for instance wants me beatified

@@djb yOU'VE GOT ME PAINTED THE WRONG COLOR - (oops damn caps lock - too late to go back)

read my post after his - Canonization etc, all complimentary!  :cool:

By them in bulk , Bias them hard in triode , replace every 6 months to 12 months an enjoy the sweat sound .

300B's are so over priced , it's a joke . When it's all about the circuit to get the best out of the tube .

Cheers

yes.

why I use el84 and 45 amps 

mate, you couldn't be more unwrong