New Doctor Who debut

Doctor Who series 8 opening episode "Deep Breath" is actor Peter Capaldi's debut as the good Doctor.

It's screening on ABC TV and cinemas on Sunday, 24 August.

I missed seeing the 50th anniversary 3D episode at the movies last year but will be taking my two children this time to watch it on the big screen, anyone else doing the same (with / without the kids)?

http://www.hoyts.com.au/movies/2014/doctor_who_deep_breath.aspx

http://villagecinemas.com.au/events/doctor-who-special-screening

• Like 1

Doctor Who series 8 opening episode "Deep Breath" is actor Peter Capaldi's debut as the good Doctor.

It's screening on ABC TV and cinemas on Sunday, 24 August.

I'm not planning on seeing it at the cinema, but I'm certainly looking forward to this and the following episodes of the new series. I think Capaldi will make an excellent Doctor and bring some seniority to the role that may have been lacking in the last series (don't get me wrong the last series was still excellent, but hey anything Dr Who usually is :D ).

JSmith ninja.gif

• Like 1

He & Clara are in town (Sydney) today & tomorrow. Premiere at the State theatre tomorrow night - both will be there.

I'm in Melbourne so missed out on the State Theatre event in Sydney.

Also read that the planned live stream of tomorrow's Q&A has been cancelled.  The Q&A is being held after the screening of Deep Breath so the episode can be discussed afterwards. :(

I still think of Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker...

Never saw 'The Thick Of It' so I can watch Peter Capadi without any bias.

I'm not planning on seeing it at the cinema, but I'm certainly looking forward to this and the following episodes of the new series. I think Capaldi will make an excellent Doctor and bring some seniority to the role that may have been lacking in the last series (don't get me wrong the last series was still excellent, but hey anything Dr Who usually is :D ).

JSmith ninja.gif

Yes, I'm looking forward to the new series as well.

Been watching Doctor Who since I was 5, and that was decades ago.

Started with the second doctor, Patrick Troughton and enjoyed most of the incarnations except for the last two in the mid to late 80's.

• Like 6

Absolutely ! Now if Doctor Who was a HBO production Capaldi could channel Malcolm Tucker. I'm pretty sure a Tucker rant would repel the Daleks.

ha ha - good post.

My wife was at the State Theatre on Tuesday night - had a marvellous time and got to meet the Good Dr & Clara - said they were both lovely. Capaldi is very worried he will be accepted by Whovians...

• Like 1

Mmmm, Clara...

I'm hoping I can figure out a plan to head off to Sun Theatre in Yarraville next week for the screening. I've never seen the Doctor on the big screen, could be really good.

I've been watching since I was 5 too and used to record the audio and take the tapes on holiday for repeat listenings in the car.

• Like 1

Started with the second doctor, Patrick Troughton and enjoyed most of the incarnations except for the last two in the mid to late 80's.

Same same... but you didn't miss anything with William Hartnell he was a very mediocre Doctor. For me I really enjoyed the Tom Baker years, and was good to see him do a cameo role in The Day of The Doctor.

• Like 2

Absolutely ! Now if Doctor Who was a HBO production Capaldi could channel Malcolm Tucker. I'm pretty sure a Tucker rant would repel the Daleks.

Have to admit, the only time I really got into Doc Who was when He was fighting Davros and those Daleks....awesome!!!

Still reckon George Lucas & Co would make a fab film given the chance....

Jon Pertwee was my favorite.  

Jon Pertwee was my favorite.  

Yep the first Doctor to have some charisma. Patrick Troughton was a marginally better actor than William Hartnell (which wasn't hard), but I found Patrick Troughton a bit creepy as a kid for some bizarre reason, not really sure why. I enjoyed Jon Pertwee as the Doctor, but for me Tom Baker was just that little bit better, then it was all down hill from there...

I've been watching since I was 5 too and used to record the audio and take the tapes on holiday for repeat listenings in the car.

Been there and done that too!.  Before the days of domestic video recorders, cassette tape recordings were the closest to thing to replaying of tv shows. 

I've listened to these recordings so many times that I could recite entire scenes, even now to the disbelief of my children.

Still have several Pertwee and Baker stories on audio cassette.

• Like 3

Same same... but you didn't miss anything with William Hartnell he was a very mediocre Doctor. For me I really enjoyed the Tom Baker years, and was good to see him do a cameo role in The Day of The Doctor.

It brought a tear to my eyes when Tom appeared at the end of the 50th anniversay story.

A nice touch considering he did not participate in The Five Doctors, except for footage of him from the unfinished Shada. 

you were a Dcotor ahead of me, I started with Jon Pertwee. in some ways I still think of him as the authentic doctor (although perhaps no longer my favourite, I'm with the majority and vote for Tom). My son likes the last one perhaps for the same reason, he is the first doctor he seriously viewed.

you were a Dcotor ahead of me, I started with Jon Pertwee. in some ways I still think of him as the authentic doctor (although perhaps no longer my favourite, I'm with the majority and vote for Tom). My son likes the last one perhaps for the same reason, he is the first doctor he seriously viewed.

I was fortunate to have seen a lot of Troughton's stories as many of these are missing now.

• Like 1

I was fortunate to have seen a lot of Troughton's stories as many of these are missing now.

Not necessarily... with patience and sheer determination I managed to get a hold of every ep back to the very first. Unfortunately some of the very early episodes were damaged, sold, and over written. So some eps only have scattered images, with original audio obtained from many sources including home viewers.

• Like 1