NO LONGER AVAILABLE: FS Eximus DP-1 DAC (Reduced Price)

Item: Eximus DP-1 Dac/Preamp/Headphone Amp
Price: $2900 $2500 $2200 (RRP$3911)
Item Condition: Mint - a few weeks old
Reason for selling: Funding my Chord QBD76 purchase
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, bank transfer
Extra Info: See below
Pictures: See below

For sale is my Eximus DP-1 DAC. I bought this a few weeks ago from Addicted to Audio in Melbourne. But then I got the itch to try the Chord QBD76 HDSD against my Hugo, and I had no choice but to buy it. Now, of course, I have to pay for it. Yes, the QBD76 HDSD sounds better - and also very different - than the Hugo and the DP-1. But it is four times the price of the Hugo and more than twice the price of the DP-1, so that is not exactly a shock. (I will post comments comparing all three as well as a few others in a separate thread in the near future.) The DP-1 is extremely versatile, with multiple inputs, including asynchronous USB, AES-EBU and SPDIF. It also has RCA and XLR outputs and two headphone outputs, and its volume control means that it can be used to bypass your preamp (I've tried it like this, it is excellent).

The DP-1 remains one of the best dacs I have heard, at any price. I much prefer it to the Resonessence Invicta Mirus I had previously, and I also like it better - as a main system DAC - than the Hugo. It is incredible revealing, three dimensional and detailed, while retaining a slightly sweet midrange. If I had not bought the QBD76 on impulse, it would not have been going anywhere. It is also a surprisingly attractive piece of hi fi - even my wife expressed appreciation of its appearance!

There have been many reviews of the DP-1. One example:

The Eximus DP1 may be small, but whether I was listening to it as a DAC-preamp, or as a purely analog preamp fed an analog signal from one of the other DACs I had on hand, it produced a lively, full-bodied sound that was extremely clean, exceptionally dynamic, and very refined. This little component sounded big. There was also a transparency that made the DP1’s overall sound so pristine and crystalline that I had no hesitation in partnering it with the best stereo amp and speakers I’ve ever had in my room: Ayre Acoustics’ VX-R amplifier ($14,950) and Vivid Audio’s Giya G2 speakers ($50,000/pair). The Eximus’s sound not only had outstanding transparency and detail that put me very close to the music and was thoroughly engaging to listen to, its imaging was impeccable -- musicians occupied discrete points on the stage, with rock-solid specificity and great separation of each from the rest...

Otherwise, I have nothing but praise for what the DP1 provides. Its appearance and build are fitting for a product at twice or even thrice the price; on the digital side, its rich feature set and thoroughly up-to-date technology approach the state of the art; and the DP1’s distinctive, lively, ultraclear sound -- whether it’s used as a DAC-preamp, an analog preamp, or a headphone amp -- is ridiculously good at the price. The DP1 is a modestly priced product that will fit well into a modestly priced system, but can also work surprisingly well in a state-of-the-art rig like mine. High praise indeed. (Source: http://www.soundstag...article&id=346)

As it is only a few weeks old - and not even fully run in yet - it is in brand new condition, with all original packing materials, accessories etc, and I am offering it at $10001700 off new retail price. Pick up is available in Sydney (Cammeray or CBD), or I am happy to post.

RotationofIMG_0164-2.jpg

Edited by rossb