High end tuners like the Sansui TU-X1: what is the point?

A very good FM tuner can sound much better than computer audio streaming web Radio services at typically 64-128kbps. With a good FM tuner and a finely tuned antenna (that's the secret), FM broadcasts can approach CD quality on well recorded material, and better in some ways in being very analogue-like. Even though the FM frequency response is only rated to 14kHz tops, you don't really notice this as most of us can only hear high frequencies up to that point anyway. Music can sound beguiling and beautiful with FM radio, while being a bit sterile, compressed and cold when streamed at low bitrates on the computer or server devices.

The only problem with FM for me is the limited music choice in terms of the compressed pop music that commercial stations play. I mainly listen to ABC Classic FM and a couple of Jazz/Folk/Blues sessions on a local university FM channel.

Steve.

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 5

A very good FM tuner can sound much better than computer audio streaming web Radio services at typically 64-128kbps. With a good FM tuner and a finely tuned antenna (that's the secret), FM broadcasts can approach CD quality on well recorded material, and better in some ways in being very analogue-like. Even though the FM frequency response is only rated to 14kHz tops, you don't really notice this as most of us can only hear high frequencies up to that point anyway. Music can sound beguiling and beautiful with FM radio, while being a bit sterile, compressed and cold when streamed at low bitrates on the computer or server devices.

The only problem with FM for me is the limited music choice in terms of the compressed pop music that commercial stations play. I mainly listen to ABC Classic FM and a couple of Jazz/Folk/Blues sessions on a local university FM channel.

Steve.

Actually the TU-X1 cuts off at 16KHz.

When it comes to concert performances on ABC FM, Fine Music FM, etc., high quality FM delivery via my TU-X1 beats current streaming by a very large margin.

The tension, realism and bass impact are nothing short of sensational.

When it comes to concert performances on ABC FM, Fine Music FM, etc., high quality FM delivery via my TU-X1 beats current streaming by a very large margin.

The tension, realism and bass impact are nothing short of sensational.

Can you explain a bit more, Warren?

By "streaming", I presume you mean listening to Internet radio instead of FM?  If this is so, is the quality difference because:

• you have an inferior quality streaming device (compared to your TU-X1)?
  • or are Internet radio specs inferior to FM specs?

Thanks,

Andy

1stly think might find the broadcast is limited to 30hz-15khz. then theres stereo separation, SNR and dynamic range. all of which might suprise as to just how poor that is. a lot of what you get with FM radio is very much related to broadcast quality, and signal quality, most of damage is done there. the quality of the radio used on the end of that can only make best of signal received.

how much want to spend on something...well everyone will I suspect make their very own value judgement...some will want to spned on only a cheapie hand held thing, others will go all out as with the example here :)

1stly think will find the broadcast is limited to 30hz-15khz. then theres stereo separation, SNR and dynamic range. all of which might suprise as to just how poor that is ...

Starting to sound like an analogue/vinyl vs. digital debate Al, and we all know where that heads - trouble!

But honestly, once the needle drops or the FM signal dial lights up ...all is forgiven with vinyl/FM's specifications, it's the last thing on your mind as the music pours forth.

Don't take my word for it, read Romy the Cat's thread on the Sansui TU-X1 tuner, he rates it as high as any of his sources vinyl or digital.

Starting to sound like an analogue/vinyl vs. digital debate Al, and we all know where that heads - trouble!

But honestly, once the needle drops or the FM signal dial lights up ...all is forgiven with vinyl/FM's specifications, it's the last thing on your mind as the music pours forth.

Don't take my word for it, read Romy the Cat's thread on the Sansui TU-X1 tuner, he rates it as high as any of his sources vinyl or digital.

hehe and I tried to be very carefull in my wording too...so it didnt head for analog vs digital ! :D plus  tried to acknowledge that the tuner does have part to play...never minds :D

My 'weapon of choice' is a, comparitively lowly, Kenwood KT-900 with a few mods but there is a real magic to a well engineered live broadcast over FM. Todays streaming doesn't come close. For day-to-day use I enjoy streaming but it's limitations are more obvious than really good FM...

• Like 1

the main problem wiht streaming is download limits most have....the longer you listen the more it tends to cost you. since most people dont have unlimited downloads ! as opposed to radio which at our place most weekends seems to go non stop...

• Like 1

Steve.

Once in a while I chanced upon some good-quality recordings on ABC Classic FM and any sneaking suspicion that my system was not good enough and needed an upgrade just evaporated.  :)

• Like 1

Can you explain a bit more, Warren?

By "streaming", I presume you mean listening to Internet radio instead of FM?  If this is so, is the quality difference because:

• you have an inferior quality streaming device (compared to your TU-X1)?
  • or are Internet radio specs inferior to FM specs?

Thanks,

Andy

Actually I can only speak from a short head-to-head comparison with a relatively cheap Cambridge Audio DAB unit, though I have listened to much more expensive DAB units in showrooms and came away with the same overall feeling: Extremely quiet but serious lack of inner detail and a general feeling that I was listening to the notes rather than the music. I suspect this is a problem with the DAB+ broadcast rather than an intrinsic problem with DAB, but that is only a guess.

the main problem wiht streaming is download limits most have....the longer you listen the more it tends to cost you. since most people dont have unlimited downloads ! as opposed to radio which at our place most weekends seems to go non stop...

Al. I question that assumption. How much bandwidth do you think you'd use listening to internet radio for say...8am till 5pm?

'Al' that would be you al as opposed to AL or possibly aL

double edit: I'll dig out Fridays bandwidth usage where I listened to a Yankee rock station all day while rockwall building via my system. It's bugger all from memory.

Edited by Luc

Data usage isn't really the problem, unless your in a remote or regional area and shackled to the exploitative pricing the NBN was designed to solve...

...it's all about the data rates.  The Linn stations that run at 320kbps sound quite good.  Pity most of the music is a bit 'chinos and sandals'...

Al. I question that assumption. How much bandwidth do you think you'd use listening to internet radio for say...8am till 5pm?

'Al' that would be you al as opposed to AL or possibly aL

double edit: I'll dig out Fridays bandwidth usage where I listened to a Yankee rock station all day while rockwall building via my system. It's bugger all from memory.

Easy 80kbsx60x60x8 ofcourse thats with a 80kbps stream...

Main reason unless you have a free or unlimited data plan that those on mobiles won't be using streaming

my point was ofcourse if its only a 80kbs stream, why not listen long as you like on the radio for free....if have the reception and can pick up the station ofcourse...

I stumbled upon my first tuner ever a couple of years ago. It is a used Linn. As we are not allowed to listen to internet radio at work I connected it to my  office 'hi fi system" where it has done well. For $300 and no further fees - bargain.

As I like ABC Classic it is always nice to keep the radio going.  No ads too.

Surely the quality you receive from either FM or streaming can only be as good as the source the station is using. 

and in many cases its just compressed audio... unfortunatley... particularly case with the commercial stations...

• Like 1

With Batty- steve M -gruff nuts

a very good FM tuner can be had for $150 something nearly great from early 80s for just double that.

Connect it properly to an external fm aerial and you have a source of great quality

Sansui217, 317,417 and up- kenwood- Anber 7- Arcam 9!-hitachi 5500 mark 2, ... My stock list goes on ;)

• Like 2

Yup - I love a good FM tuner but you do need a decent aerial...less keen now ABC Classic FM has gone to the dogs, and 2 MBS seems intent on following it - focusing on "personalities' rather than the music..

Me? BBC 3 320 kps..

Edited by strony
  • Like 1