Starting a vinyl collection

Hi Vinyl and music fans,

I found this  article about starting out in vinyl which i think is a pretty good read for newbies.

But as those in the know you need a TT that's a least a few hundred dollars and reasonable speakers  to really start to enjoy it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/things-you-should-know-before-starting-a-vinyl-collection

Cheers.

:lol:

Surprised it didn't say something about growing a hipster beard as well.

:)

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

I have been thinking about a "Crosley" style player for a while. I have reasonable TT I could build amps and speakers for underneath as one unit. I was brought up on the Crosleys of the world. My mates player looked like a makeup case. Speaker-mono-under the plater. The Kinks never sounded so good.

indeed that was the tone.

didn't mention a 'fixie' either.

Or what sort of man bag to carry your records in from the shop.

Guest yamaha_man

Or what sort of man bag to carry your records in from the shop.

They are called satchels! Indiana Jones used one! :D

Guest yamaha_man

Whats wrong with being fat and bearded???

Chicks dig that sh1t!

Edited by yamaha_man

Whats wrong with being fat and bearded???

Nothing (I hasten to add) but it's what most people refer to him as due to his strange surname.... :unsure:

Galafi...

Galiafa...

Gallia..

:blink:

*Googles it*

Galifianakis

There's seems to be a little bit of OK (just) general overview and advice,  but it's mixed with enough crap and misinformation to result in an article that is a complete waste of time reading. 

Although I did only got to No. 7 - what kind of turntable should I get. (then skimmed the rest).  

"You are better off buying a new turntable instead of finding something vintage. Old, used turntables will have some wear and tear and will be expensive to fix if something goes wrong. You can easily buy a good new turntable without spending a lot of money, and since most models have a built-in pre-amp, you can sidestep some of the more obnoxious aspects of building a stereo system. (More about that later.)"

After a few visits to my music room, the wife jokingly calls the family lounge and listen to my vinyl, a die-hard CD only addict went out and paid a lot of money for a high end TT and a bunch of LPs. The best way to start an LP collection is to buy a few and find what you like.

Yes I have a Fixie but no beard and a ton of vinyl.

Edited by mwhouston

Nothing wrong with a manbag dudes.

Once you go down that path you'll be wondering how you managed without one.

Cannot believe that this thread has managed to snag Geoff and his new squeeze into it. Mind you she looks a tad foxier than botox  Brynne.

@@masliko, i'm assuming you don't think much of this thread or article so i guess you must be some audio vinyl expert that can only sneer at other peoples input into a topic we all kinda love and want other people to enjoy ?

Nothing wrong with a manbag dudes.

Once you go down that path you'll be wondering how you managed without one.

I have one or two myself

;)