FS: Relist and Price Drop: [Syd] Rare Vintage Dali DaCapo Ribbon Speakers

Item: 1pair Dali DaCapo Ribbon Speakers.  Vintage unknown but Dali top of line speaker from 1988 to 1992.  New price then was ~$6k. Later full size ribbon speakers way more than that.  

I purchased these to do a full refurb, having heard these in 1992, wanted them, but could not afford back then.  Started refurb, but the SQ was way better than my earlier speakers [ribbons from 400Hz & up] & after the crossovers were refreshed they stayed hooked up. Previous owner purchased new, was a classical music lover & sold them when he moved into a retirement home.  I have used with a sub & electronic crossover.  My project would have been similar to John Reekie's minidsp & 2 way fully active.  But I never started after buying 2 spare ribbons.  I was happy listening to these as they were.

These still kick arse in SQ with original ribbon drivers.  Beth Hart "Your Heart is as Black as Night" is rendered with a lot of impact and raw emotion.  Suit a vintage hifi system or some one wanting audiophile grade ribbon speakers on a budget.  So cheap but have to go.  Unfortunately my wife wants the space back & the second pair of speakers must go & does not care if either the Maggies or the Dalis go, so long as back to one pair.  I could live with either.  I have a Bryston 2B Power Amp to suit with first dibs to the buyer.

Price Drop: $1,200 to $1,000 including 2 spare ribbons in sealed vials I purchased for the full refurb for $400 for the pair. These replacement ribbons when installed will last another 25 years.  Dali still have spare parts.
Item Condition: Ribbons & woofers fully functional, but one ribbon has been repaired.  Crossover capacitors refreshed 1 year ago.

Ribbon grill cloth could do with a refresh. If you know how to put on a pair of stockings then you should be capable of replacing the grey ribbon cloth.  There is one 5 mm diameter nick out of the lower LHS ribbon panel.  It is small, although it looks huge in the close up photo. Close to the floor & hardly noticeable.  Black grill cloth fine on woofer box. Metal base is fine as is both of the aluminium top bars.  The RHS amplifier connectors have been replaced with Jaycar gold/brass connectors on the copper bars connecting to the ribbon and woofer speakers.  The photos show reflection from the flash for the woofer membrane & the ribbon but in normal light these are difficult to see.
Reason for selling:  Upgraded, wife wants these gone to reclaim the sun room. I cannot justify another set of ribbon speakers

PM me if you have any questions or would like an audition.
Payment Method:
 Pickup - Cash
Extra Info:

1. Due to weight (30kg) & size, expensive to ship.  I do not have suitable boxes to pack, so pick up only

2. Prepared to swap for a power amp.  These are smaller  PM with offer.

Brochure here http://www.dali-spea...ALI-DaCapo.aspx [Danish]

Manual attached - an interesting read & no longer on the Dali website.

Drivers:

Woofer - 10" X 40" membrane driven by 8" woofer - to match the dispersion characteristics of the ribbon near the crossover frequency

Midrange/tweeter - 40" ribbon

Frequency Response - 45 - 20kHz +/- 4dB

Crossover Frequency: 400Hz

Sensitivity (2.83V) - 85dB @ 1m

Recommended amplifier - 50 to 200W / channel [easy to drive as the ribbon is 4ohm & not capacitive nor inductive]

Dimensions

Height - 118cm

Depth (inc. base) - 31cm

Depth (exc. base) - 15cm

Width - 45cm

Weight - 30kg each
Pictures:

Images attached

Attached Thumbnails
  • P1020461.jpg
  •  
  • DSCF1607.jpg