SOLD: FS: Magnepan 20.7s

I have a pair of 20.7 Maggies which are less than a year old available for sale. They're in the natural oak colour with grey speaker cloth. 

Full specs here.

RRP is $18k, yours for $12,500 in stock form, or $13k with Sound Anchor stands (highly recommended). Actual pics available shortly. Shipping is possible, price will vary greatly based on location. Pickup is free of course.

Tri%20Center%20Small.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow - getting rid of 20.7s + Magtech monos for some mini monkey coffins!

All I can assume is that bzr's listening room wasn't big enough to let the 20.7s "flower"?  :confused:

Andy

Make him a offer Andyr, lets face it you want a pair... :P  :D

OK, I confess, I want a pair, but I dont have the dosh.... :(

Wow - getting rid of 20.7s + Magtech monos for some mini monkey coffins!

All I can assume is that bzr's listening room wasn't big enough to let the 20.7s "flower"?  :confused:

Andy

Moving house Andy, you're on the money

Make him a offer Andyr, lets face it you want a pair... :P  :D

Actually, Peter ... I don't!! :D

Whilst, undoubtedly, the larger bass panel size and the double-sided magnet array deliver better bass than my 'Frankenpans' do ... mine have a number of advantages.

The previous 20 & 20.1 models had an external XO box (bass/mid XO) which you could easily replace with a 2-way active, if you bought a second amp.  IMO, doing this gives much more dynamic bass 'slam' to the Maggies - but with the 20.7, Magnepan decided to move to a series XO which can't be split this way.  So, yes, you can use multiple amps on a 20.7 ... but you have to go the whole hog (3-way) and remove or bypass the stock passive XO.

Also, the 20.7 (like all the other current models) has all the drivers in the one MDF frame.  Whereas, my Frankenpans have the bass panels mounted in separate frames to the mid / ribbon frames - so when the bass frame is shaking from bass transients, no vibration gets through to the mid/ribbon frames.  This split setup also allows me to:

• have the mid/ribbon frames angled directly towards my ears, whereas the bass panels are nearly flat to the front wall (which the Tympani guys tell me is better for bass), and
  • put the mid/ribbon frames (which I have on the outsides of the bass frames) slightly in front of the bass frames, so they are equidistant from my ears ("time aligned"! ;) ).

Whereas the width of the 20.7 means the above is just not possible.

And the 'music room' in the new house has space for a pair of subs - so I will roll off the bass panels at 50Hz (avoiding the extreme mylar displacement caused by very low frequencies) ... so the advantage of the increased panel size and double-sided magnet array the 20.7s have, substantially disappears.

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

Are you having a bad day or just not thinking about the reason of this thread?

The way I see it, the more posts you get, the more this thread stays at the top of the list so people might see it. :confused:

Andy

(NB: No-one can buy speakers like mine ... 20.7s are the next best thing. ;)  But NP if you want the mods to delete my posts - and Peter's.)

Edited by andyr

Hey Andy - don't you want the mid ribbon to be further away from your ears than the bass ribbons, if you're looking to time align? Also I would have thought that having separate enclosures would mean the bass and mid ribbons would be further apart which may reduce coherence to some extent. 

Maybe a good opportunity for a separate thread. 

Bump for a crazy good set of speakers that I'd love to keep if I could retail the brand! 

• Like 1

Comfortably, you'd probably want 250w or more. I've had some 100w Manleys driving them at one point and they faired well, but we didn't hit it with high dynamic classical which is where they would be shown up if it wasn't sufficient. 

Yep the Sanders are absolutely ideal for them! 

What sort of power would you need to drive the Maggies?

The mono Magtechs are the best amps you can buy for 20.7s.

If you want to hear some 3-way Maggies, Sam, you could always come over for a listen to mine.

Regards,

Andy

• Volunteer

The mono Magtechs are the best amps you can buy for 20.7s.

If you want to hear some 3-way Maggies, Sam, you could always come over for a listen to mine.

Regards,

Andy

And if you want to listen to some magtechs you can come over for a listen to mine