WTB: Road bicycle. Medium ~$1000. (VIC)

Hi all. I've decided I'm going to have a crack at riding to work, but not going to attempt the 70km round trip on my mountain bike.

So, I'm after a decent road bike. Medium size (~54cm). Looking to spend about $1000.

Would also be interested in accessories such as lights, pedals, shoes, helmet etc etc.

Let me know if you've got something suitable to sell.

I'm in melb, but get around Vic a bit.

Cheers

Chris.

Hi all. I've decided I'm going to have a crack at riding to work, but not going to attempt the 70km round trip on my mountain bike.

So, I'm after a decent road bike. Medium size (~54cm). Looking to spend about $1000.

Would also be interested in accessories such as lights, pedals, shoes, helmet etc etc.

Let me know if you've got something suitable to sell.

I'm in melb, but get around Vic a bit.

Cheers

Chris.

Hi Chris, my 30-yr old daughter has a bike for sale.  She started competing in tri's and has "moved on" to a better bike.  It cost her about $1K (used) I believe, a year or so ago but, as it's just taking up space, I'm sure she will let it go for a good price. :)

Give me a call on 0418-140-306 if you're interested and I can arrange for her to show it to you.

Regards,

Andy

I have a BMC SLX01 with Ultegra Groupset, 52 CMs but the geometry allows for taller riders.

good deal but just because you can move seat posts and the like, doesn't mean a small frame is best suited!

How tall are you Chris? I ride a 56cm frame and I'm 6"..  :)

How tall are you Chris? I ride a 56cm frame and I'm 6"..  :)

5'11".   Legs are maybe a touch shorter than average but I think 52cm may be a little small.    I think I'm more inclined to go slightly larger rather than smaller. 

I have a BMC SLX01 with Ultegra Groupset, 52 CMs but the geometry allows for taller riders.

maybe just a little on the small side.   I'll do some investigation and let you know if I'm keen. 

• Like 1

Good on you for having a crack at riding to work - 70km is a serious effort! Good luck finding a bike. I reckon you should be able to find something pretty sweet within your budget.

I'm a whisker under 6' with stumpy legs. I've just got a hand-me-down 56cm road bike an it's at the big end of 'just right'; I think 54cm would probably be good too, but 52cm might be getting small. My mountain bike is 18.5".

Edited by Monty

I wouldn't buy a road bike for that length of commute. Many these days don't have rack mounts. You will want a CX or touring type bike to enable fitting racks. You don't want to be carrying a backpack 1.5 hours each way.

• Like 2

I wouldn't buy a road bike for that length of commute. Many these days don't have rack mounts. You will want a CX or touring type bike to enable fitting racks. You don't want to be carrying a backpack 1.5 hours each way.

Cheers for the suggestion.      I'm still leaning towards a road bike though.     I'll only ride 3 days a week max so hoping I can be organised enough with clothes at work that I don't need to carry anything on the bike.   

Good on you for having a crack at riding to work - 70km is a serious effort! Good luck finding a bike. I reckon you should be able to find something pretty sweet within your budget.

I'm a whisker under 6' with stumpy legs. I've just got a hand-me-down 56cm road bike an it's at the big end of 'just right'; I think 54cm would probably be good too, but 52cm might be getting small. My mountain bike is 18.5".

Cheers.   I've been thinking about it for the last few years and was always hesitant because of the distance.    I'm still not sure how I'll go but decided I need to have a crack.   

my MB is about the same size.   I think 54-56cm will be about right. 

Have you checked www.bikeexchange.com.au/ ?

I concur with legseleven on fit. Additionally when I started looking for a roadie I had a similar budget in mind - I ended up increasing the budget and having something built up for me. It costs more but the end result is I ride all the time, whenever I can.

2c...

Cheers for the suggestion.      I'm still leaning towards a road bike though.     I'll only ride 3 days a week max so hoping I can be organised enough with clothes at work that I don't need to carry anything on the bike.   

Yeah well if you are organised to take clothes on the days you don't ride it's doable. I only ride one day but it's a different location so I use a bag that slides on to a rear rack.

Touring/CX bikes are just as fast as a roadie unless it's a very hilly commute. They are built tougher so a bit heavier, but can be fitted just as aggressively as a road bike, the changes are quite subtle. this is my CX commuter

Soma.JPG

It had 35mm slicks in the photo but now runs 25mm Continental 4Seasons tyres for puncture protection without being too heavy or rock hard like some of the REALLY bomb proof tyres are. Touch wood, I'm yet to have a puncture on this bike... So you know the puncture fairy will visit tomorrow don't you  :ph34r:. I also fitted a rear rack and full mudguards a week after that photo and will ride regardless of weather.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 3

Cheers. I've been thinking about it for the last few years and was always hesitant because of the distance. I'm still not sure how I'll go but decided I need to have a crack.

my MB is about the same size. I think 54-56cm will be about right.

If worried about distance , could do what I did with the last job. Used to drive with bike in the back of car. Half way and then park the car and ride the rest :)

• Like 1

If worried about distance , could do what I did with the last job. Used to drive with bike in the back of car. Half way and then park the car and ride the rest :)

Or train and ride if close to a line.

• Volunteer

I have about a 30k round trip which I ride almost every day. I sometimes go the long way and turn it into 60-80k. I leave a suit, shoes and shirts at work. The shirts get laundered so they never go home.

I carry a very small backpack. Big enough for my phone wallet sock and jocks. It's no hassle at all.

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore

I carry a very small backpack. Big enough for my phone wallet sock and jocks. It's no hassle at all.

See, that's what cycling jerseys are for! I wouldn't use a backpack for that load, just a couple of snap lock bags to keep sweat off socks & jocks. I use a waterproof cover for my phone and it goes in a Rapha cycling wallet which just carries essential cards and some notes and coins. This still leaves a pocket free for jacket/armwarmers in changeable weather.

I leave jeans and shoes at work and just carry my lunch, iPad mini plus shirt, socks & jocks in an older version of this

topeak-trunk-bag-dxp-with-velcro-straps-

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

• Volunteer

See, that's what cycling jerseys are for! I wouldn't use a backpack for that load, just a couple of snap lock bags to keep sweat off socks & jocks. I use a waterproof cover for my phone and it goes in a Rapha cycling wallet which just carries essential cards and some notes and coins. This still leaves a pocket free for jacket/armwarmers in changeable weather.

good idea !

Sounds like a road bike with relaxed geometry and min width 28mm tyres might do the trick for you. But I'd suggest handlebars at a similar height to saddle so you can be seen easier and see over the traffic too. Inline brakes (like some single speeds have)are good for this but then you might do well to look at a flat bar type road bike.Forks with a bit of bend in them can help smooth out the bumps a little. Avoid heavy tyres like Marathon plus.

I have Rohloff internal hub gears and absolutely love them but best go cheap at first until you know if you are going to keep cycling. Actually I bought a trek crx near new on ebay for a little over $100. A $500 bike in near new condition sold because she decided commuting wasn't for her. There are some bargains out there.

From ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trek-Crossrip-Elite-Bike-2014-58cm-Almost-New-/271439046633?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item3f330727e9

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trek-7-5-Flat-Bar-Bike-still-under-service-warranty-pannier-rack-/221405113015?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item338cc5eab7

Edited by legselevens

Sounds like a road bike with relaxed geometry and min width 28mm tyres might do the trick for you. But I'd suggest handlebars at a similar height to saddle so you can be seen easier and see over the traffic too. Inline brakes (like some single speeds have)are good for this but then you might do well to look at a flat bar type road bike.Forks with a bit of bend in them can help smooth out the bumps a little. Avoid heavy tyres like Marathon plus.

I have Rohloff internal hub gears and absolutely love them but best go cheap at first until you know if you are going to keep cycling. Actually I bought a trek crx near new on ebay for a little over $100. A $500 bike in near new condition sold because she decided commuting wasn't for her. There are some bargains out there.

From ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trek-Crossrip-Elite-Bike-2014-58cm-Almost-New-/271439046633?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item3f330727e9

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trek-7-5-Flat-Bar-Bike-still-under-service-warranty-pannier-rack-/221405113015?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item338cc5eab7

Road bikes generally won't take 28mm tyres, although we are starting to see a blurring of the lines between CX bikes and wide tyre road bikes, both with mechanical disk brakes.

What do you mean "inline brakes"? Surely not the back-pedal type? I believe you then have to have an internally geared hub which sort of rules out all road bikes. I'd say you have suggested many things that work for you but may be completely irrelevant for the OP. Look at the photo of the geometry of my CX bike above, that IS my relaxed geometry bike yet there is nearly a 10cm drop from saddle to bars. I'm 180cm and overweight (92kg atm) yet it's still a bike I've occasionally toured on doing 100km a day.

Edited by blybo

Hi blybo, Yep, your bike would make a good commuter. Did you notice your bike is very like the first ebay link I put up? And even though it's a 58cm it would be worth finding out the standover height because the top tube angles down towards the seat tube so it might be enough for the OP to use without damaging his lolly bag.

Seeing the photo of your bike and it's seat height suggests you like to lean forward or the frame is a tad small for you.Flipping the stem can remedy this but given the k's you've done I'm guessing it's how you like it. Myself I like to be up a little higher due to the safety in banked up traffic of seeing over most vehicles and also (hopefully) being seen by them. I mentioned my hub gears as something to avoid due to cost and the fact that the OP may decide after week 1 that this commuting lark is not for him and not lose too much money if he decides to sell his bike.

I should have said in line brake levers.(or one of the many other names they seem to have) They are positioned on the tops of drop bars and I think were first used in cyclocross (CX) bikes. In any case it's great to see that Manchu is giving it a go.

5157130027_dc1af5670f.jpg

Edited by legselevens

Yeah well if you are organised to take clothes on the days you don't ride it's doable. I only ride one day but it's a different location so I use a bag that slides on to a rear rack.

Touring/CX bikes are just as fast as a roadie unless it's a very hilly commute. They are built tougher so a bit heavier, but can be fitted just as aggressively as a road bike, the changes are quite subtle. this is my CX commuter

thanks again.  it is starting to sound like a good idea.  I'm not all that organised if I'm honest,  and I can be a bit tough on bikes so it might pay to go for extra strength.  

I've thought about it and would probably start out doing just that.   Maybe 10km for a start.    But,  I live close to city and work further out.  I'd want to ride where I get held up the most by traffic,  which is near home so I'dneed to leave my car somewhere between home and work.   But then if it was p1ssing down in the morning I'd have no option to drive! 

Also thought about the bike/train combo.   7km from home to station  & 5km from station to work.    So 12km v's about 32km.     worth considering,  but not sure it'd save me much time 

Edited by manchu

Legs eleven, yeah inline levers can be good especially when doing longer distances. I wasn't knocking your preferred position, just pointing out everybody has different preferences. I may not sit as high but have front and rear lights on my helmet (when in commuter mode) and think that gets me noticed well even in daylight hours