Coffee /espresso Machine

• Please log in to reply
2803 replies to this topic

#151 2sheds

2sheds

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

Hope the La San Marco Lollobrigida was a better performer than La Lollo 2sheds:D she was certainly a looker but pretty light on in the acting department, did ok though, made a heap of movies.
Jon.:cool:

Gotta agree, Jon. Big on the looks, but the acting...enough said :rolleyes:

Maybe she will make a cameo in Italian Spiderman...:D

cheers
2sheds
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon from 'Beautiful Boy'

Please support our sponsors by clicking their banners:

#152 JCR33

JCR33

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for your inputs and I value each and everyone. However, I might not be able to thank and write back to each of you, it is by no means being rude or not appreciative. Sometimes, replies come back too many and quickly and I might skip a few and answer those I can, as many of your replies are beyond me and took me a while to grasp what they really mean.

I have learned so much about coffee because of you all, thank you.

#153 JCR33

JCR33

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

Nice machine, Smithy. I'll see your La Pavoni, and raise you a Gaggia and a Faema.....:o

Some beautiful looking designs....

cheers
2sheds

This is actually a Victoria Arduino, stunning looking and hefty price tag of US20K!!!!

Victoria Arduino Venus Century Espresso Machine is the most expensive and the heaviest we have seen. With its body beautifully crafted from stainless steel, Venus Century weighs 76 kg or 167 lbs. The price is just under $20,000 USD which is not too shocking, considering the fact that only 100 of these machines were made. The very first one was presented to the Pope for his personal use. The Victoria Arduino espresso machine is a symbol in the history of coffee, and the history of Italian customs and culture throughout Europe. Originally created by Pier Teresio Arduino in Turin in 1905, this timeless design shown below has transcended over 100 years.

Posted Image

#154 JCR33

JCR33

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

Check this link http://www.foodwinec...hread.php?t=436 in particular the links to reviews.
I've had a Rocky with doser for years, I like the doser, it's very convenient and mycoffee waste is nil, good grinder with conical steel burrs in a brass carrier.
The Mazzer has a great reputation, if cost is not an issue perhaps that would be the way to go.
Cheers,
Jon.

Hi Jon,

When I googled Mazzer, there were hundreds of links and I was soon looking at other amazing coffee machines and forgot all about my grinder.

I guess I will first read more about the Mazzer, so far, I read a lot of positive feedbacks from users, and next would be to compare the Pavoni and see if they are made for each others.

You advice on the tamper has been very construction and I look forward to the same on the hunting of the perfect grinder. :o

#155 proftournesol

proftournesol

• Moderators
  • 7,401 posts
  • First Name:Yes, and a second name too

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

more useful grinder info.
http://www.coffeeco..../april2008.html
Alan gives very sound advice.

regards Michael
Analog: Thales TTT-C battery drive turntable and Simplicity tonearm , Soundsmith Straingauge, HRS ADH | Digital: modified CEC TL-51X transport , MacMini, Weiss Minerva DAC Tuner: Tandberg A3011 Preamp: tube rolled Octave HP500se Speakers: ADAM Tensor Deltas | Vibration management: HRS | Cables: Argento Serenity, WSS Kabel, Nordost, Lyra Phono Pipe |

Second System Source: Analog: Pink Triangle (totally Funked), Kozma Stogi Reference, Soundsmith SMMC1, HRS ADL | Digital: Cambridge Audio DV99 | Apple TV | DACMagic | Amplification: Sugden A25 Speakers: ADAM HM2

#156 Kevin

Kevin

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

Posted Image

Versalab - the audiophiles grinder. Made by the designer of Versa Dynamica. Combined flat and conical set, continuous adjustment, doserless.

Kevin

#157 Jon

Jon

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

Funny how that sort of thing can happen J, it's easy to get side tracked.:o
When you do start grinding your own beans you won't look back, it's a quantum leap.
Jon.:o

Hi Jon,

When I googled Mazzer, there were hundreds of links and I was soon looking at other amazing coffee machines and forgot all about my grinder.

I guess I will first read more about the Mazzer, so far, I read a lot of positive feedbacks from users, and next would be to compare the Pavoni and see if they are made for each others.

You advice on the tamper has been very construction and I look forward to the same on the hunting of the perfect grinder. :o

#158 Jon

Jon

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

Wow, it's a work of art, some how think it's a little over the top for my modest kitchen.

This is actually a Victoria Arduino, stunning looking and hefty price tag of US20K!!!!

Victoria Arduino Venus Century Espresso Machine is the most expensive and the heaviest we have seen. With its body beautifully crafted from stainless steel, Venus Century weighs 76 kg or 167 lbs. The price is just under $20,000 USD which is not too shocking, considering the fact that only 100 of these machines were made. The very first one was presented to the Pope for his personal use. The Victoria Arduino espresso machine is a symbol in the history of coffee, and the history of Italian customs and culture throughout Europe. Originally created by Pier Teresio Arduino in Turin in 1905, this timeless design shown below has transcended over 100 years.

Posted Image

#159 Jon

Jon

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

Curious looking beast Kevin, looks like it would be a messy son of a gun to operate.

Posted Image

Versalab - the audiophiles grinder. Made by the designer of Versa Dynamica. Combined flat and conical set, continuous adjustment, doserless.

Kevin

#160 2sheds

2sheds

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

Curious looking beast Kevin, looks like it would be a messy son of a gun to operate.

Jon,

Curiouser and curiouser. It loses a little of it's wonderfully clean style when full setup like below...

Posted Image

$1550 - more details here

cheers
2sheds
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon from 'Beautiful Boy'

#161 JCR33

JCR33

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

Funny how that sort of thing can happen J, it's easy to get side tracked.:o
When you do start grinding your own beans you won't look back, it's a quantum leap.

Jon,

This is part of the fun getting detour and on to something much bigger or costlier than you originally intended to spend on.:)

That's why somethings it is better not to ask... :o

Now I see more option for grinder, the one Kevin posted is very cool looking. It might not have the similar look as my Pavoni, but it is very minimalistic, is the Versalab Grinder made by the same Versalab that used to make turntable?

Oh, I just went into the link that 2sheds posted, and indeed, it is the same Versalab. Why audiophiles like coffee so much that they have to make their own machines? :)

Anyone here actually using one of this Versalab Grinder? Do you think what it claims about their grinder is unique and important?

"All other grinders first mix the present grind with the last grind, old grounds, and even ancient grounds. Then they mash the stuff all together making a rather oily mess. No wonder espresso is never quite as nice as the smell of the beans. The volume of old grounds that remain in most popular professional grinders will surprise you. The previous coffee, stale, past stale, really old stuff back to when the machine was last cleaned, will dull the flavor of pours continuously. Off flavored beans, unhappy roasts profiles, will flavor pours for an afternoon. Just outside the burrs in conventional machines, the fresh grounds are clumped together, and joggled along interspersed with the old residue, to finally fall clumped into the doser. Then in the doser, they are further bashed together falling clumped into the portafilter. What a way to treat espresso! The Versalab Grinder completely avoids these issues.

One dose of beans goes into the top funnel, and one dose of ground espresso falls nicely into the portafilter. The coffee particles are so much more fluffy that they even take up more space, before packing, than the conventional bruised and bashed brew."

And the new Press that simply dose the portafilter with fresh ground espresso, put the portafilter in the PRESS, on the ball bearing mounted rest, flip the switch and the piston will compress the grounds to whatever pressure you have set. Move the portafilter handle side to side to polish the top of the puck and you are ready to go.

Posted Image

#162 seano

seano

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

All this makes me wonder what is more important.....the equipment or the coffee.

Bugger me.......that's the same conundrum that happens in hifi! Wonders will never cease.

Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle.

#163 Super Mustud

Super Mustud

Dedicated Egalitarian as proven by university tests

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

Know my tea? Maybe, maybe not. But I do enjoy tea (as well as coffee) and at one stage worked my way through the entire Twinings range, where I acquired quite a taste for Keemun (Russian Caravan, Prince of Wales, etc) and Lapsang Souchong (and it's smell of cigars :o).

It has taken me quite some time to train all the waitresses at my local yum cha restaurant to stop bringing me the jasmine tea and fried dumplings which they figure all us gweilo prefer. :o

cheers
2sheds

Ah Shedthing, it is clear you are lacking in experience in real tea (I don't mean that second rate stuff sold in Twinings packets or pretty much everything from what used to be called Ceylon - nothing intrinsically wrong with Sri Lanka, mind, its just that they have realised that they can make good money sending tea that is not fit to be used as compost to the rest of the world, so why bother to do better. Actually, that's not fair on Sri Lanka teas, maybe they are fit to be used as compost).

Your writing off of jasmine tea is unfortunate. As much as I enjoy coffee, I recognise that it is a basically unhealthy product. As with many other unhealthy products we enjoy, I am not suggesting abstinence, however let's recognise it as an unhealthy vice. Of course, good health is greatly overrated, so don't get too concerned, I certainly don't.

But back to tea. I can't send you a link to the places I get my tea from as they are not on the internet, however as for jasmine tea, perhaps a look at the following may illuminate:

http://www.attictea....&products_id=40

And just for a bit of fun, why not have a look at the following to see what is available for special occasions:

http://www.goldentea...ssoming_Tea.php

For those who have had the good fortune of being served teas in the traditional way, you will appreciate it when I observe that the ceremony of preparing and drinking tea is a meaningful and relaxing experience that I have never found the best barrista to achieve. Of course the coffee experience is totally different and worthy of its own place in the pantheon of poisons we honour (such as whisky, for example).

Enough, I'm off to make a cup of Moccona.

:o

#164 JCR33

JCR33

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hi mustud52,

I like tea also, but more on the Chinese types. We use a smal terra cotta teapot with lots of tea leaves. Tea is served with again small porcelain cups. Tea is rather strong, similar to espresso, but the aroma and taste linger in the mouth for a long time.

Posted Image

Oh how is the WE242C, received them yet? Looking forward to reading your report.

#165 2sheds

2sheds

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:56 AM

Ah Shedthing, it is clear you are lacking in experience in real tea (I don't mean that second rate stuff sold in Twinings packets or pretty much everything from what used to be called Ceylon - nothing intrinsically wrong with Sri Lanka, mind, its just that they have realised that they can make good money sending tea that is not fit to be used as compost to the rest of the world, so why bother to do better. Actually, that's not fair on Sri Lanka teas, maybe they are fit to be used as compost).

Your writing off of jasmine tea is unfortunate. As much as I enjoy coffee, I recognise that it is a basically unhealthy product. As with many other unhealthy products we enjoy, I am not suggesting abstinence, however let's recognise it as an unhealthy vice. Of course, good health is greatly overrated, so don't get too concerned, I certainly don't.

But back to tea. I can't send you a link to the places I get my tea from as they are not on the internet, however as for jasmine tea, perhaps a look at the following may illuminate:

http://www.attictea....&products_id=40

And just for a bit of fun, why not have a look at the following to see what is available for special occasions:

http://www.goldentea...ssoming_Tea.php

For those who have had the good fortune of being served teas in the traditional way, you will appreciate it when I observe that the ceremony of preparing and drinking tea is a meaningful and relaxing experience that I have never found the best barrista to achieve. Of course the coffee experience is totally different and worthy of its own place in the pantheon of poisons we honour (such as whisky, for example).

Enough, I'm off to make a cup of Moccona.

:D

Mustud,

Thanks for the reply and opening my eyes to the fascinating tradition of tea drinking. I'm presuming that your awakening to this art was not triggered by a trip to Coles Cafeteria for a 'milk and 2 sugars'..? :o No, that ceremony of preparing tea, is best forgotten...

I like to think of myself as open to new ideas, but trade my single origin espresso for a Formosa Black Dragon? or maybe an Unbridled Passions Blossoming tea..? :o I must admit, the thought of unbridled passions does have a certain allure...:) Think I might steer clear of that 'Seven Fairies' tea, though...:o

I do appreciate the ceremony though. Ever since I saw Yoko Shimada in the mini-series Shogun, I was smitten...er, with the tea ceremony too. :D

I'm a bit worried about one of the teas which was referred to on the sites you mentioned. They talk about a 42 year old Pu Er tea. Is that the name of the ...umm.. 'factory' which produces it..? :o Can't believe that a tea that old, no matter where it comes from, could be worth drinking...:)

Thanks again for enlightening me on the wonderful world of teas. I'm off now to cut off all the flowers in the yard and combine it with that old crate of Lanchoo which Granny left me in her will. I should make a killing out of that little lot.... Have you seen the prices of that stuff..? :D

cheers
2sheds

#166 Super Mustud

Super Mustud

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

I'm a bit worried about one of the teas which was referred to on the sites you mentioned. They talk about a 42 year old Pu Er tea. Is that the name of the ...umm.. 'factory' which produces it..? :o Can't believe that a tea that old, no matter where it comes from, could be worth drinking...:o

cheers
2sheds

A very acquired taste, however that is true of most adult drinks (see, I am being serious).

In Beijing I went to a tea house where they have a cake of that tea over 100 years old. An interesting contrapuntal to the 3 minute lifespan of fresh ground coffee!

#167 Super Mustud

Super Mustud

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hi mustud52,

I like tea also, but more on the Chinese types. We use a smal terra cotta teapot with lots of tea leaves. Tea is served with again small porcelain cups. Tea is rather strong, similar to espresso, but the aroma and taste linger in the mouth for a long time.

Posted Image

Oh how is the WE242C, received them yet? Looking forward to reading your report.

The very best way to drink tea is from those small cups from the small pots. Some teas require a porcelain pot because of the water temperature.

JCR, I am impressed you use the best size cups. I must admit that I generally do that only when I am at formal functions or at a teahouse. At home I am usually not sufficiently patient and therefore use a larger mug. At present my favourite is:

Posted Image

However I cycle through various porcelain mugs depending upon my mood.

The 242c's will arrive next week. I need to calm down. Another cup of tea required :o.

#168 Jon

Jon

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

For those among us who don't believe in evolution check out this thread, it's been chugging along quite happily since the 4th of May discussing espresso machines, grinders, tampers and the like until this morning when it evolved into a discussion on the merits of tea, ain't nature wonderful:D

#169 proftournesol

proftournesol

• Moderators
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

For those among us who don't believe in evolution check out this thread, it's been chugging along quite happily since the 4th of may discussing espresso machines, grinders, tampers and the like until this morning when it evolved into a discussion on the merits of tea, ain't nature wonderful:D

tea? Hmmm, I remember the word,.....isn't that what comes after 'ess' and before 'ewe'?

regards Michael
Analog: Thales TTT-C battery drive turntable and Simplicity tonearm , Soundsmith Straingauge, HRS ADH | Digital: modified CEC TL-51X transport , MacMini, Weiss Minerva DAC Tuner: Tandberg A3011 Preamp: tube rolled Octave HP500se Speakers: ADAM Tensor Deltas | Vibration management: HRS | Cables: Argento Serenity, WSS Kabel, Nordost, Lyra Phono Pipe |

Second System Source: Analog: Pink Triangle (totally Funked), Kozma Stogi Reference, Soundsmith SMMC1, HRS ADL | Digital: Cambridge Audio DV99 | Apple TV | DACMagic | Amplification: Sugden A25 Speakers: ADAM HM2

#170 Super Mustud

Super Mustud

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

For those among us who don't believe in evolution check out this thread, it's been chugging along quite happily since the 4th of may discussing espresso machines, grinders, tampers and the like until this morning when it evolved into a discussion on the merits of tea, ain't nature wonderful:D

You missed my attempt to divert it further onto the subject of whisky!!

Actually it was that nasty Shedman who diverted it onto tea a few days ago. I was just following up :o. Its important to allocate the blame accurately (trust me, I know these things). Its Shedman, his fault his fault!!

I was quite enjoying the read about coffee (until diverted by Shedman's scandalous off topic ramblings), however I will now contemplate your suggestion on the evolutionary step from coffee to tea. You could be right. Perhaps tea will see us adapting better to the world. You may be very prescient Jon!

I which case, would one of you like to sell me your no longer required La Pavonis or other now obsolete machine? I am happy to collect valves and coffee machines :o.

Until then, hmmm hmmm...that Pablo tastes good.

#171 2sheds

2sheds

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

..... is true of most adult drinks (see, I am being serious).

Admin,

How do I report this post...? I am not used to such treatment...

cheers
2sheds

#172 Kevin

Kevin

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

Versalab grinder - it works - it has an unmatched degree of control but as Jon pointed out it can get a bit messy.

Posted Image

My wife is the coffee obsessive. Our at that stage ten year old Cimbali Junior machine was stuffed up by the local distributor for the not inconsiderable sum of $700 and then denied that their maintenance was at issue. My wife pulled the machine to bits, learned a lot about machines and coffee and grinders in the process and fixed it up properly. She did not stop there and in the last couple of years the Versalab grinder replaced the Cimbali Junior grinder and a Marzocco GS3 replaced the Cimbali machine.

Regretably Kees Van Der Westen is now producing a single head Speedster.

Posted Image

It is only a small step for him to potentially produce a lever version as with his Mirage series

Posted Image

.... then there will be the why not have two machines?

The high end domestic market is undeveloped especially as many have found on this thread it does not take a great deal of effort to make a better coffee than the vast majority of cafes. A little knowledge becomes a dangerous thing and the finessing of sourcing coffee, adjusting grinds, tamping and tampers and in the case of the machine temperature, pressures, preinfusions and potentially differing shot profiles ... well why not?

And yes you can taste the difference. I find the whole thing hugely analogous to high end audio but with the domestic coffee market only beginning to develop any real sensibility as to what can be achieved at home.

Kevin

#173 proftournesol

proftournesol

• Moderators
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

a wife that pulls apart coffee machines, fantastic - next thing you'll tell me is that she's encouraging you to buy Avantgarde Trio horns for your stereo!! (if she is, you'd better lock her up to keep her safe).

regards Michael

#174 Kevin

Kevin

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

Not Avantegarde Trios - in the event of the large Lotto win she wants the big Acapellas and the room to put them in.

Kevin

#175 2sheds

2sheds

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

Not Avantegarde Trios - in the event of the large Lotto win she wants the big Acapellas and the room to put them in.

Kevin

Has she got a sister...? :o

cheers
2sheds

#176 JCR33

JCR33

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

Whilst you guys are having fun with Trio and sisters, I am studying hard, some of the websites and links that you guys posted. Never had I read so many pages since I left Uni many years ago.

Now I know even less and I know I want more...

#177 2sheds

2sheds

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

Whilst you guys are having fun with Trio and sisters, I am studying hard, some of the websites and links that you guys posted. Never had I read so many pages since I left Uni many years ago.

Now I know even less and I know I want more...

Oh oh. Not a word of this to Mrs Smith :) We had nothing to do with it .....really....:o And I didn't even mention this one....

Posted Image

No, I didn't... I think Jon did....:o

cheers
2sheds

#178 JCR33

JCR33

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

Oh oh. Not a word of this to Mrs Smith :) We had nothing to do with it .....really....:o And I didn't even mention this one....

Posted Image

No, I didn't... I think Jon did....:o

cheers
2sheds

And, what is this little toy? :o

#179 2sheds

2sheds

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

And, what is this little toy? :o

Smithy,

To Mrs Smith it is her dear husbands way of saving money. To you, Smithy, it is your ticket to fresh roasted coffee from any part of the world, any time you like (and less than half the price of the roasted stuff). And easier to use than the average microwave oven:D

Interested? Read this.

cheers
2sheds

#180 JCR33

JCR33

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

Smithy,

To Mrs Smith it is her dear husbands way of saving money. To you, Smithy, it is your ticket to fresh roasted coffee from any part of the world, any time you like (and less than half the price of the roasted stuff). And easier to use than the average microwave oven:D

Interested? Read this.

cheers
2sheds

Yes, yes, more please, 2sheds!

Do you think they do a bigger one? A size that might fit me in, I think my CEO is going to roast me first! :o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please support our sponsors by clicking their banners: