Help...I want a new Plasma. She doesn't.

More of a philosophical post..so may not be the best place but here goes: 

I've been waiting patiently for my 42" Pana Plasma (circa 2008) to die before upgrading,  but it looks like I'll need to be a little proactive to ensure I get one of the last Plasmas.    I'm thinking of a Panasonic 50" or 60" ST60.

I bought up the subject with the Mrs last night and the response wasn't great.  Mostly because money may be a little tight.   (mortgage, single income atm due to maternity leave,  wedding to pay for in the next year and  an engagement ring to buy).  

Am I being silly/selfish buying a new TV now?

Am I being unnecessarily concerned about getting a Plasma?  

(Even though it's only 1024x768 I love the picture of my current plasma.  I haven't been tv shopping for a long time so not up with the latest, but I've seen a lot of LCD's I don't like).

Lets say I do go for it,  should I go 50" ($1100) or 60" ($1500)?    

(Main couch is ~4.5m from the screen (directly in front).  2nd couch is ~3m back and ~2m to one side.)

cheers for any advice

Guest yamaha_man

(Even though it's only 1024x768 I love the picture of my current plasma.  I haven't been tv shopping for a long time so not up with the latest, but I've seen a lot of LCD's I don't like).

(Main couch is ~4.5m from the screen (directly in front).  2nd couch is ~3m back and ~2m to one side.)

cheers for any advice

No, no, 60".

Do what I do, don't ask the question and just buy it. If I asked permission to buy I wouldn't have anything.

Instead of causing issues when you ask the question just wait for the issues to occur when it turns up to the door. ;)

cheers for any advice

So the other half gets a wedding and a ring. You get to turn up. Yeah, that's fair!

Do as Beardy says, seek forgiveness, not permission. What's the worst thing that can happen? You get yelled at? That's gunna happen anyway!

Buy the big 60" plasma, or, buy yourself a bigger pair of pants! :D

• Like 6

No, no, 60".

Do what I do, don't ask the question and just buy it. If I asked permission to buy I wouldn't have anything.

Instead of causing issues when you ask the question just wait for the issues to occur when it turns up to the door. ;)

yes yes..it all seems so obvious now. 

I could have always faked a failure,  but that might look a little suspicious now. 

So the other half gets a wedding and a ring. You get to turn up. Yeah, that's fair!

Do as Beardy says, seek forgiveness, not permission. What's the worst thing that can happen? You get yelled at? That's gunna happen anyway!

Buy the big 60" plasma, or, buy yourself a bigger pair of pants! :D

haha...my pants are big enough.   I just need to fill them out more. 

time for some shopping at lunch time I think. 

I would consider waiting for OLEDs to get cheaper though.

How long before a 60" OLED gets down to  $1500?    Samsung 55" is currently >$10K,  so I'd be surprised if it happens in the next 3-4 years.    

It's probably the right thing to do,  but knowing my luck the current TV would die this year then I'd be stuck with LCD.  

Marriage is about compromise.

With a baby on the way, I'm not sure if you'll have as much use of a new telly to be honest.

That said, I'm guilty of the "it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission" numerous times :)

Edited by DoggieHowser

Obviously you need to figure out if you really need a new TV and whether you have the spare cash to afford it, given all your other expenses (also, shouldn't you be giving an engagement ring before you start planning the wedding....?)

If you decide you do need a new TV and you have the spare cash, get the biggest screen you can afford. I went from a 32" to a 51" which seemed MASSIVE the first few weeks and now 18 months on it often looks small and I wonder if I should have spent that extra $400 to get the 60" at the time. Probably should have :)

Also, OLED is definitely the tech to look to in the future (none of this 4K LED LCD...it's still LCD tech, no good). But OLED TVs won't be coming down to the $1500-$2500 price bracket any time soon, probably a good 4 years away.

• Like 1

With a baby on the way, I'm not sure if you'll have as much use of a new telly to be honest.

The baby is well a truly here.   8 months old.      I'm actually thinking he's a good reason not to upgrade.   I'm already a bit worried how captivated he is by the telly and try to leave it off until he's in bed.   An extra 20 inches won't help!  

Shouldn't you be giving an engagement ring before you start planning the wedding....?)

I did,  but she ate it.   

I probably also should get married before having a kid !

post-129313-0-10460600-1393903548_thumb.

You want a 6 yr old telly to die? Crikey.

Moreso expect it to die,   rather than want.    Its already gone once (in warranty),  and the only other flat screen I've had died at 3yrs old.    I have little faith in new TV's being 'built to last'.  

• Like 1

Well, here's a philosophical reply: There are very few things that one has to have. :-) It's just a TV and you have a functioning, time-honoured set that serves the purpose for now and  probably for many more years to come. Besides, when the baby arrives, there'd be much less time to watch the TV anyway.

But if you do decide to buy now, get a vt65, or a Samsung 64' PS64F8500AM. They are fabulous; and shock-and-awe could reduce the negative impact on your wife when she sees it. :-)

• Like 1

the logic is simple

Whatever the wedding ring costs should equal the cost of your new telly so go for the 80 inch and you'll both be happy....

Until u want a bigger TV or she wants another ring.....yes there will be more to come.

hahahahaha

Now that you've brought it up with her and she's said she's not keen, you can hardly go and buy one and plead ignorance. That only works (if you can call it 'working') when you have not said a word about it then bam, new TV turns up. You've asked her opinion and if you now go against that, she's pretty clearly going to be pissed off with you which is a pretty reasonable way to feel when you have been asked for your opinion, given it, then been ignored. It's her money too, her house too, she'll be very focused on the child's well-being and and spare cash wouldn't really be seen as 'spare' to her. It'd probably be smarter to pay down your mortgage with any 'spare' cash and save yourselves considerable interest then a few years down the track buy something truly special as a reward for doing the hard yards now, not spending money you could use as an emergency buffer (or anything else) to buy the last of a known quantity that's incrementally better than what you have right now that is something you spend at best 2% of your life using.

Edited by CryptiK
  • Like 2

Guest yamaha_man

Now that you've brought it up with her and she's said she's not keen, you can hardly go and buy one and plead ignorance. That only works (if you can call it 'working') when you have not said a word about it then bam, new TV turns up. You've asked her opinion and if you now go against that, she's pretty clearly going to be pissed off with you which is a pretty reasonable way to feel when you have been asked for your opinion, given it, then been ignored. It's her money too, her house too, she'll be very focused on the child's well-being and and spare cash wouldn't really be seen as 'spare' to her. It'd probably be smarter to pay down your mortgage with any 'spare' cash and save yourselves considerable interest then a few years down the track buy something truly special as a reward for doing the hard yards now, not spending money you could use as an emergency buffer (or anything else) to buy the last of a known quantity that's incrementally better than what you have right now that is something you spend at best 2% of your life using.

Where's the dislike button! Fully the wrong answer! Get the tv!