Dac Shoot out

Sparkle

I'm not allowed to start this as i'm only a spectator, BUT, i remember there was some reference to a Dac comparison at mike's place at the last event.

At risk of putting Mike on the spot, has anyone thought of a date?   I was hoping to chalk something on the calendar?

i'm a bit concerned about a lot of sweaty men squeezed into mike's place, but it seemed like a good idea?

I'm not allowed to start this as i'm only a spectator, BUT, i remember there was some reference to a Dac comparison at mike's place at the last event.

At risk of putting Mike on the spot, has anyone thought of a date?   I was hoping to chalk something on the calendar?

i'm a bit concerned about a lot of sweaty men squeezed into mike's place, but it seemed like a good idea?

Hi Sparkle

Yup it's on alright ! I would say we'll announce a date in a few weeks. I'm guessing around 5 to 8 weeks from now, we'll give everyone 2 to 3 weeks to nut some time off.

We will also have the prototype of the new PDX to offer up. The Phasure is certainly a great sounding product and the KillerDac is of course a stalwart of musicality so the PDX will have it's work cut out.

Regards Mike Lenehan

I'm not allowed to start this as i'm only a spectator

Of course you can start it.

I will be going down to Mikes with Rawl99 Tuesday to hear my Killer on Mike's system and we can firm up details then.

Besides the DAC's Mike mentioned we probably will have the Playback Designs - at least my MPD-3 - but a few guys we know have the MPD-5 and that is a likely starter.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba

Hi Guys

I had a chat to Mike and the date has been tentatively set for Saturday the 15th of March.

Mike, if possible, wants to do it blind and has some ideas how to about that such as a special power supply setup to power the DAC's.

However it does impose some restrictions on the DAC's, and because of that it was decided to limit it to 4 DAC's:

1. The Phasure

2. The new PDX

3. The Killer

4. AMR

Unfortunately it was felt the Pkayback designs, because it performs much better on DSD, was not a good candidate for a blind test.  It can be included instead of the AMR if there is a ground swell - but it wont be via DSD.  However after the blind test there will be a listening session comparing DSD via the Playback, and that down-sampled into whatever DAC wins the blind shootout.

Anyway its over to comments.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Kdoot

It will be the ML2 Limited and the new Prima Luna I bought.

I couldn't stand it - it was so good I had to get it - it really is that good - but I will chat about that in the Prima Luna thread.

Thanks

Bill 

Hi Guys

I had a chat to Mike and the date has been tentatively set for Saturday the 15th of March.

Mike, if possible, wants to do it blind and has some ideas how to about that such as a special power supply setup to power the DAC's.

However it does impose some restrictions on the DAC's, and because of that it was decided to limit it to 4 DAC's:

1. The Phasure

2. The new PDX

3. The Killer

4. AMR

Unfortunately it was felt the Pkayback designs, because it performs much better on DSD, was not a good candidate for a blind test.  It can be included instead of the AMR if there is a ground swell - but it wont be via DSD.  However after the blind test there will be a listening session comparing DSD via the Playback, and that down-sampled into whatever DAC wins the blind shootout.

Thanks

Bill

Still interested in including my DAC in the mix if a spot can be found. I note that all of them bar the Phasure are tube-based DACs like mine. Perhaps all all tube affair is in order.

Hi Guys

1. The Phasure

2. The new PDX

3. The Killer

4. AMR

Thanks

Bill

So why is Telicine's French DAC being excluded?

I seem to remember it did very well at your last DAC comparison.

Too well, perhaps?.........

So why is Telicine's French DAC being excluded?

I seem to remember it did very well at your last DAC comparison.

Too well, perhaps?.........

Its simply with it being a blind shootout the thought was to have a limit of 4 - for example Mike is looking at constructing a special power board for the shootout.

Like the PD he is welcome to bring it along and we can hear it after.

Also if there is a ground swell we can replace the AMR with it - its purely up to what people want.

But the three DAC's everyone, me included, wants to hear is the Phasure, Killer, and Mikes new PDX.

So its over to you guys - do you want Telcines DAC in the blind part or the AMR?  We will likely hear both - its just which would people prefer in the blind part.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Lol Queenslanders at play in their sponsors enclosure

So the DAC that might well win is excluded on a technicality

A very unclear technicality

As Bill says "But the three dacs everyone wants to hear is (sic) the Phasus,Killer and Mikes new DAC the PDX."

Perhaps Joe could come and fees the chooks?

Let's call it a selectively culled in house listening experience- its not a shoot out.

Edited by djb
  • Like 2

Hi Bill,

How long is this 'blind auditioning' going to take?  Is it an all morning affair or most of the day?  As Caddisgeek says it would be difficult to blind with the Phasure unless we can set the computers up in another room or behind a partition which is all effort of course.  I don't know what you guys have in mind in that regard.

From a pure curiosity perspective, I would be interested in an all tube-dac blind audition followed by some comparisons with solid state dacs later on (like the Phasure and the PD).  After all, we will only be listening to each dac for half an hour or so and will not have enough time to get more than a cursory insight into the qualities of each dac in Mikes system.  Plus I would really like to hear both the AMR (upgraded version I hope) and Telecines dac.

Anyway, I will fit in with you guys.  If you want the Phasure in the blinds then that is fine.  If you want an all tube-dac blind then that is fine.

Cheers,

Anthony

As Bill says "But the three dacs everyone wants to hear is (sic) the Phasus,Killer and Mikes new DAC the PDX."

Let's call it a selectively culled in house listening experience- its not a shoot out.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning djb?  Not a good look.

• Like 1

Seriously dude I really appreciate and enjoy these threads so there is no need to come on in and post rubbish like you have, It's not appreciated at all and totally unnecessary...Go and troll on another forum !!

• Like 2

Gents, great to hear there will be some attempt to make this comparison blind. If there is anything I can do to help with running that side of things on the day please let me know. I was growing uninterested in the outcome of the shootout to be honest, this has me interested though. If you need someone unrelated to all of the gear and without a horse in the race to do the mundane stuff on the day etc then I'm happy to be that guy. I have some other ideas but before making any suggestions would rather have more details on what the planned approach is before I make a complicated task any more complex. Since discussion on blind tests can get ... exciting ... I'm happy for Bill or whoever to contact me by PM.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

"Police turned up to an audio factory on the gold coast after residents reports of a shoot-out. When they broke in, they discovered a row of middle-aged men sitting on a sofa torchering themselves with repeated contunued high energy blasts of Diana Krall, and Harry Belafonte. It was a confusing situation for the police, there was no apparent motive, and the only victims were the argumentative balding participants who were unable to properly explain what the core of the disagreement was or even what they were seeking to achieve. No-one was arrested, police have called the matter unsolvable"

• Like 20

"Police turned up to an audio factory on the gold coast after residents reports of a shoot-out. When they broke in, they discovered a row of middle-aged men sitting on a sofa torchering themselves with repeated contunued high energy blasts of Diana Krall, and Harry Belafonte. It was a confusing situation for the police, there was no apparent motive, and the only victims were the argumentative balding participants who were unable to properly explain what the core of the disagreement was or even what they were seeking to achieve. No-one was arrested, police have called the matter unsolvable"

I'm not goin' if Diana is there...

• Like 4

Gents, great to hear there will be some attempt to make this comparison blind. If there is anything I can do to help with running that side of things on the day please let me know. I was growing uninterested in the outcome of the shootout to be honest, this has me interested though. If you need someone unrelated to all of the gear and without a horse in the race to do the mundane stuff on the day etc then I'm happy to be that guy. I have some other ideas but before making any suggestions would rather have more details on what the planned approach is before I make a complicated task any more complex. Since discussion on blind tests can get ... exciting ... I'm happy for Bill or whoever to contact me by PM.

Cheers,

Chris

Nice offer Chris.  A six way blind would be ideal...whack 'em all in there...but there are limitations and the number "four" seems to be one of them.

Doesn't the Phasure need its own computer to run off? Would make it hard to do a true blind test if that was the case For having an all valve show would make more sense to me also.

Yes - that's a detail that needs to be looked into.

The initial thought was all DAC's to run off that computer - but there is an issue in that Raw99's uber transport is better than the Off-Ramp into the Killer so that needs to be sorted out.

Its early stages yet.

Blind tests are the gold standard - but not easy to do - not by a long shot - which is why there is such a dearth of them.

No one wants to exclude anything - if a six way blind shootout can be done then it will be done - but it was thought some rationalization was necessary.  Nobody wants to exclude Telcines DAC - it can replace the AMR if that's the way people want to go.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

How long is this 'blind auditioning' going to take?  Is it an all morning affair or most of the day?  

It's going all day.

But there will be some time left over at the end to hear some other DAC's.

We could do the all valve thing if that's what people want.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba