Audiophile Optimizer.

I went down the 2-PC path about 2 months ago and the result is far more than satisfying. The improvement in sound quality is simply stunning. Yesterday, I invited a group of friends who gathered at my house for a catch up to listen to the newly connected system. They couldn't believe the improvement I get for a small change (money wise).

I built the second server with all the spare computer parts I had. I just bough a new case and a few memory sticks. Windows 2012 R2 is freely available as a trial software from Microsoft. I installed Jplay on both and Mytec driver in the second machine(AudioPC). Connected the two via a CAT5 cable and got Jplay streaming working. Actually you can hear the vast difference in sound quality at this point once you have Jplay streaming working. The sound image changed dramatically here. Everything is wider and deeper including the stage and the tone. Audiophile's optimizer further improved this gain by making the two PCs to do only what they are supposed to do and closed down all unnecessary processed and services. Honestly, it was quiet a journey to get here. I stumbled upon quite a few obstacles and luckily Phil was very helpful and helped me through. I also got a trial copy of his optimizer before I purchased a license from him.

The other huge gain I made is to b able to use my Mytek on all the music I have. I used to divide my music in two  piles. One playable with Mytek as is and the other not so unless I heavily attenuated the signal. Now the Jplay streaming changed this completely. I don't have any attenuation issue. Every piece of music I have plays beautifully on the Mytek, DSD or not.

If you are hesitating if you should jump in this route. I encourage you to try it out, especially for those who are familiar with Windows. It takes more than just Windows skill, you also need good networking knowledge. Luckily Jplay web site has a very good trouble shooting steps to take you thru in case you had problems connecting the two like I did.

Good luck and enjoy the new sound from your old hifi.

Michael

Melbourne         

• Like 2

Hi Michael,

Thanks for chipping in with some info.

What was the final cost of the WS2012 R2 Standard to buy the Activation Key.   Also I take the Audiophile Optimizer was about $130 (Australian) to purchase.

As per my signature my Audio PC is currently the CAPS Lagoon running W8 and JRiver 18.    The 'Headless' CAPS is linked to my Router and I control it via RDC from my main PC for all the fine tuning within 18 or Web Gizmo for listening from assorted wireless pads at my armchair.

I take it I would just save all my JR18 set up and reinstall it on the CAPS once I have removed the W8 and installed the WS2012 R2. 

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman

Cazzesman

I intend to stay with the trial software for a while. There are ways to extend the trial period. Refer to the Optimizer guide. Actually there is no hassle reinstalling from scratch if I have to. Not difficult once you have done it a few times.   

You might want to use your current AudioPC as the ControlPC. If you have all media in a disk/partition different from the OS, it is easy. Just change the OS. Then build a very bare bone AudioPC with just the OS and the necessary DAC drivers and JPlay. Then you can continue to control everything as is from your armchair. I too use remote desktop from my main PC to control whatever I what to play.  

Have fun.

I have been using the two PC approach for a couple of years now and can thoroughly recommend it.

mtan002 has already posted his thoughts on audio quality which I agree with.

Having said that it is not for everyone. Two PC's, jRiver, JPlay and Win Serv2012 R2 with the Optimizer all add up to quite a wedge.

Plus it is fairly complex to get right even if you know what you are doing.

IMHO you can get 80-90% there with one PC, jRiver and Win 8.1 optimized with a script from here. JPlay is only of benefit when using two PC's and the Optimizer.

All of the above are excellent products and can make a magical sound if set up properly. However it is not plug and play, there will be many hours of cursing - I promise!

The OP specifically wants to know about High-end audio and the Optimizer. I believe the product is here to stay, the man behind it 'Phil' knows what he is doing and supports the product and his customers.

As to price, I would say it is high, but fair. JPlay is a good product but IMHO is only of benefit with two PC's and the Optimizer, it is however way overpriced, but we still buy it.

I believe the reason it sounds so good is that all processes in the PC produce electrical noise within the PC, reducing this 'noise floor' as we hand the data over to the DAC is beneficial to the sound.

I hope that was of some help.

Steven.

Edited by Listener
  • Like 3

Just swapping a few PM's with the AO designer, Phil and he tells me 95% of his customers just use the single box AudioPC rather than the dual set up.    I'm in research mode at the moment so I will let you know if I venture further into the PC Audio world. 

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

Yep, I'm using it with JPlay on a pair of Win server 2012 machines

Far better than the Hacinktosh (Amarra) and Vortex box that preceeded them, even in single box mode, buit splitting Jplay over 2 boxes is better again

The OS optimisation this product delivers and the ability to run in core mode (without a gui) are really beneficial

I tried a Win 8 optimiser from the UK before this (single box), and found this to be better

Phil is very helpful and resposnsive too, I have been very pleased with the experience

Edited by kaka

Interesting - I was under the impression that JPlay streams the files but does it just use one PC to control the other as in remote control?  

Either way I'm using Phil's optimiser and WS 2012 and it's worth every penny.  I won't buy Server 2012 until the trial runs out or I find myself with nothing to spend $750 or whatever the licence costs.  That said installing the licence cuts down a background process, and the trail doesn't last forever.  On that does the extend trial feature extend by 6 months or 60 days?

Wut?!!!! $750??? For real???

Apparently....

There are a lot of different variables making it confusing.

I've seen prices from $50 up to $5000....

I don't know enough about it to know what it is you need from the 'server edition'

So don't know what the cheapest option is.

That makes the optimiser an expensive endeavour as it requires the windows 2012 to work.

edit ; after some more reading it seems that ws2012 on its own already makes a big improvement compared to windows7/8/8.1.

If that's the case, then it does make sense to change the os to ws2012.

Edited by Damhooligan

Hello Guys

Thanks for all the positive feedback's so far, really great to read them :) I have also spent some time with various linux distributions, but was somehow disappointed soundwise. But first let me introduce myself, my name is Philipp also known as "AudioPhil" and i am the developer of the AudiophileOptimizer and the man behind the Windows Server 2012 trend in computer audio recently ongoing.

Indeed Server 2012 makes a noticeable difference, even without my Optimizer it's IMHO much better than Win7/Win8. Go ahead, download the Server 2012 R2 Evaluation ISO from here http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/6/2/A/62A76ABB-9990-4EFC-A4FE-C7D698DAEB96/9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.ISO and setup a single box machine by strictly following my PDF guide: http://www.highend-audiopc.com/PDF/audiophile_optimizer_setup_guide.pdf. You will hear for yourself very soon.

CAD'S script (UK) is based on the last script i made for audiophile Windows 8 (i was known as "John Doe"). A lot of time passed since there, i have done extensive research and development (hundreds of hours), together with the users of jplay.eu and their feedback created a product that delivers as described, the AudiophileOptimizer. If you put the AudiophileOptimizer on top of your server 2012 setup, you will hear what really is possible with computer audio today. Please feel free to read the reviews on my page, every feedback has a link behind it so the original post on the internet can be verified -> https://www.highend-audiopc.com/reviews.html

Please don't hesitate to contact or pm me if i can help in any way.

Best,

Phil

Edited by Highend-AudioPC
  • Like 1

I won't buy Server 2012 until the trial runs out or I find myself with nothing to spend $750 or whatever the licence costs. 

It's a bit annoying considering that you are actually stripping the OS back to it's very bare essentials and pretty much using none of the features the $750 is meant to buy you!

• Like 1

Expense- it scares all the tight-arses off, but sometimes you have to look at what is actually value for money. My best buy the last year (and I spend too much money on hi-fi) was Amarra's Symphony with IRC. Cost around $700 and its just software. Fantastic product, given me so much more enjoyment and satisfaction, but when i recommend it to fellow enthusiasts they all say "jeez its expensive" . Course its ****ing expensive, it must have taken many, many hours to develop it. The same people will spend thousands of dollars on a new amplifier that wont give them as much return as something that is actually ground-breaking. 

I'm very excited about the Audiophile Optimizer and going to a 2 computer set up as fast as I can. The tight-arses will get a comparable product at a third the price in a few years time, but I will have had more fun.

• Like 1

Expense- it scares all the tight-arses off, but sometimes you have to look at what is actually value for money. My best buy the last year (and I spend too much money on hi-fi) was Amarra's Symphony with IRC. Cost around $700 and its just software. Fantastic product, given me so much more enjoyment and satisfaction, but when i recommend it to fellow enthusiasts they all say "jeez its expensive" . Course its ****ing expensive, it must have taken many, many hours to develop it. The same people will spend thousands of dollars on a new amplifier that wont give them as much return as something that is actually ground-breaking. 

I'm very excited about the Audiophile Optimizer and going to a 2 computer set up as fast as I can. The tight-arses will get a comparable product at a third the price in a few years time, but I will have had more fun.

You do realise that you won't be able to use Amarra with the Audiophile Optimiser and Server2012?  I do notice that you have three windows based systems to try it on.

I've used the optimiser in the past and it works well.

Anthony