6 moons review another SGR amp

Guest JohnA

I'm loving your ex EL30s John!

glad to hear it mate

well i just finished reading it, not sure what to say about it to be perfectly honest

Agree - it is all over the shop and sometimes I think 6moons simply likes to 'talk' and provides volume over substance.  I nevertheless do generally prefer their 'reviews' to many others becasue they can go into detail not usually covered elsewhere.  In the end I thought they did conclude that it was a good sounding amp with grunt. 

Has 6moons ever found a product they didn't like?

he he

i'm not sure if he liked it or hated it to be honest.

it was all over the shop

not your typical, yep i loved this thig and everything about it kind of review

Still, as always, try for yourself in your own system

What are the main differences YS? Obviously apart from stereo vs monoblocks

To get the low down on the new series please check out the recently updated SGR website...

http://www.sgraudio.com.au/products/power_amplifiers/elite_series_stereo_power_amplifiers.html

http://www.sgraudio.com.au/products/power_amplifiers/elite_series_mono_power_amplifiers.html

The key differences are....

"The Mk2 Elite series amplifiers build upon the original designs with refinements in construction, quality and performance.

The active line receivers have been removed and swapped with an ultra-high performance nickel alloy cored input transformer. This transformer, made specifically for SGR Audio by Jensen Transformers, realizes even lower noise and a true fully-balanced input with complete galvanic isolation.

Power supply upgrades include a smart microprocessor controlled slow charge circuit, which eliminates high inrush currents, and a new symmetrical dual-bridge layout with increased capacitance and lower impedance."

This is becoming typical of a lot of reviews around where a reviewer gets given a piece of gear that they don't have the equipment to do a proper job of the review.

Totally random mismatching of components that results in pages of useless fluff that has no relevance to anybody or any sensibly designed system.

The reviewer even admits as much in the following ".....for speakers which require brute power. Not that I own any of those. I'd thus not really judge the Australians as what they are, muscle amps"

As a manufacture I'd have to be disappointed that they would be so disrespectful to fail to even review the product in it's intended role.

• Like 1

And therefore all reviews must be pointless then; which begs the question why you posted a link to it? :)

i like reading reviews, as i am sure others do also, but i wouldnt purchase a product based on a review

nor would i, based on what others have to say about it either.

I prefer to listen for myself.

i like reading reviews, as i am sure others do also, but i wouldnt purchase a product based on a review

nor would i, based on what others have to say about it either.

I prefer to listen for myself.

Fair enough, I'm sure for you it works fine, especially living in Melbourne.

But I've still got a feeling that reviews point you in the direction of what you want to home demo.

For many people which includes myself, home demos are simply not possible.

he he

i'm not sure if he liked it or hated it to be honest.

it was all over the shop

not your typical, yep i loved this thig and everything about it kind of review

Still, as always, try for yourself in your own system

I  just read it and thought there was a lot of jibberish . Then finally to get some sense of it all in the last paragraph or two.

The way I read the review is that he thought it was schit ( in relative terms ) but didn't want to say so.  To be fair though, the fact that none of his speakers suited the characteristics of the amp isn't his fault and one has to work with what one has at hand, so to speak.

The patronising crap about Australia was really just a smokescreen and was riddled with cliches anyway. So he didn't like it, so no big deal, as John A has stated, what matters is how it sounds to you, in your room, with your gear and your music and at those prices I would make damn sure I had it in my room for at least 48 hours before making a decision so whatever reviews exist wouldn't count for schit.

My 02.

YMMV.

Phantom, where would you rate this comment, in the dislike or like camp.

From the article,

Should the same hold true for the heavyweight class of big 3- or 4-way towers with complex reactive behavior and wicked phase angles, owners of Rockport, Magico, Wilson & Co. speakers ought to be on alert and pencil the name SGR Audio next to Gryphon and Vitus Audio. I couldn't report on this arguably key appeal because I fancy simple two-ways with a subwoofer. This makes my report a mere introduction to a brand from Down Under most of us never heard of but clearly should. So raise your glass and say hello to SGR!

• Volunteer

Phantom, where would you rate this comment, in the dislike or like camp.

From the article,

Should the same hold true for the heavyweight class of big 3- or 4-way towers with complex reactive behavior and wicked phase angles, owners of Rockport, Magico, Wilson & Co. speakers ought to be on alert and pencil the name SGR Audio next to Gryphon and Vitus Audio. I couldn't report on this arguably key appeal because I fancy simple two-ways with a subwoofer. This makes my report a mere introduction to a brand from Down Under most of us never heard of but clearly should. So raise your glass and say hello to SGR!

I know you aren't asking me but I don't think the comment can be anything more than speculation on his part. How can you say he either likes or dislikes the amp into those speakers when he hasn't heard the combination?

I would still rate the review and your quoted comment as soft praise lacking real conviction.

I understand that others won't see it that way and that's fair enough. I was also somewhat surprised when he said he preferred the JOB amp,which as you would know, is the subject of a contentious thread on this forum and even though I have not heard either amplifier, it isn't exactly flattering when someone prefers an amp that is 10% of the cost of the SGR.

This feeling about the review is just my own gut feeling and opinion and I'm not here to chuck a tanty, but it just seems a bit restrained compared to may other of his often lavishly positive reviews

Cheers :)