AV Life: Introduction to Picture Calibration

Thanks to our resident SNA/AV-Life calibration expert, Tony O'Brien, for his contribution of an article giving an overview of picture calibration.

http://www.avlife.com.au/content/a-guide-to-picture-calibration

I was reading that yesterday in the mag we got at the Show. Someone tried to pinch it from me when I put it down. A hot article!

Sorry, I'm a little confused too.  :)  Was there an article about display calibration in the Home Cinema & HiFi Living magazine? 

Oopsie. I was talking about an article in Home Cinema & HiFi Living. Not quite the article that Marc was talking about...............

Mark's article would be muuuuucccchhhh better than the one I referred to.............................

:(

Hi Tony

How well does calibration work with an older tv? For instance we have a Sony Bravia X 40" HD LCD / 100hz (about 4yrs old) which seems to be running fine so no need to change it. However we have now purchased a house in Belair so might take the time to have it set-up properly (currently renting so couldn't be bothered fixing up arial etc). I just saw the link for quotes, I'll ask about the service cost there;)

Regards. Frank

Edited by frankn

Hi Tony

How well does calibration work with an older tv? For instance we have a Sony Bravia X 40" HD LCD / 100hz (about 4yrs old) which seems to be running fine so no need to change it. However we have now purchased a house in Belair so might take the time to have it set-up properly (currently renting so couldn't be bothered fixing up arial etc). I just saw the link for quotes, I'll ask about the service cost there;)

Regards. Frank

That will depend on the TV and the type of calibration control you have on the TV.   Newer TV like Samsung plasma/LED/LCD tends to have the full calibration control suites, you can do 10 points greyscale calibration, colour management system calibration.   To do the basic greyscale calibration your TV will need to have  RGB-highend adjustment (known as Gain/Drive on some TV) and RGB-lowend adjustment (known as RGB bias/cut).  Without these calibration control your TV will be limited to just brightness/contrast and colour intensity adjustment.   

Hi Frank,

I have calibrated a few Sony's around that age and despite not offering as comprehensive a calibration system as some of today's TV's (2 point greyscale and limited gamma control), they do come up nicely.

Hi Tony
Regards. Frank

Edited by Rec. 709

• 2 months later...