The Fez - your quote is from Forbidden Planet is it not?

I saw Gravity in 3D last night and found it compelling and entertaining, regardless of how 'realistic' it might not have been. Sandra Bullock's acting was superb and the movie is surely an early candidate for best cinematography. The loneliness, helplessness and isolation were overpowering and emphasised the huge amount of courage, discipline and perseverance required, as well as sheer good luck. Highly recommended!

PS Don't let go....

• Like 1

Seriously, though ... 

<SPOILER WARNING>

Was that an evolution allegory at the end? Sandra crawls out of the mud, slowly gets up on two feet, initially curved like an ape but gradually stands erect and heroic. Fin. Kinda felt all 2001 there. And there was the scene earlier where she was having a wee kip in zero G and resembled a baby in the womb.

</SPOILER WARNING>

--Geoff

• Like 1

Superb film. I had a few misgivings when I saw bullock was in it, but it was absolutely enthralling from the very first scene.

love decent sci fi and space flicks, but agree with buddyev when I heard sanda bullock was in this film,

but bye all reports does a good job in this one, so will look forward to seeing this one

Seriously, though ... 

<SPOILER WARNING>

Was that an evolution allegory at the end? Sandra crawls out of the mud, slowly gets up on two feet, initially curved like an ape but gradually stands erect and heroic. Fin. Kinda felt all 2001 there. And there was the scene earlier where she was having a wee kip in zero G and resembled a baby in the womb.

</SPOILER WARNING>

--Geoff

MORE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

I noted those as well Geoff,

baby in the womb retreating to safety maybe, or the conception of a new phase of her life, where she was reborn or metamorphed (lotsa frogs in that lake) in the final scene into a new version of herself that was able to accepth the death of her daughter and begin again

Great movie, and as mentioned the few 'exaggerations' can be totally forgiven. They must have used someone from the aerospace industry as a consultant during script the writing because there were many accuracies as well and insightful thinking, i.e. the soft land burn stage on the Soyuz and the Omega Speedmaster wristwatch (though the yanks don't seem to use it any more). 

I saw an interview between a real astronaut and a well know news centre and he gave the movie the thumbs up! 

Sandra is sooooo sexy!! :thumb:

I watched the movie last night and i was really impressed. The plot is simple, intense and the claustrophobic-thriller-drama with unique filming technique has given great experience audio-visual experience.  The sound of Hoyts in Chatswood was the downside of the experience, very blend. I might go elsewhere to watch it again  :thumb:

I thought the 're-appearance' of Clooney was a clunky film device; especially given that he basically gives her the answer to save herself (and I doubt that her own sub-concious creation of Clooney could provide such clear direction).....   but other than that I agree with the comments of everyone else. Superb situational drama (for the haters who go on about the lack of plot etc; they clearly don't understand what a situational drama is all about!).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seriously, though ... 

<SPOILER WARNING>

</SPOILER WARNING>

--Geoff

Did anyone else notice that the final shots of the movie were filmed in the same place as Planet Of The Apes that starred  Mark Wahlberg?

I loved it, I founf the lack of sound fascinating and wished that the movie makers could have also left out the background mood music, I often find it distracting, like it's almost bullying you to feel this way or that. Complete silence punctuated by talking/breathing etc would have been amazing.

A great movie and good to see the Seppo's can still do something with a bit of substance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I saw it today in 3D at Imax Melbourne

Total cost: $25 + $5 (ice cream) each, + $5 car parking (down from $16 with Imax discount)

This was well worth the money.

Yes there are scientific and logistical inaccuracies.  Yes the main character was psychologically unfit to be in space.  But I was willing to suspend disbelief.  The film is a terrific combination of action-adventure, science fiction, and actor's vehicle.

If you have ever written a list of your ten best science fiction movies and "2001: A Space Odyssey" was on it, then you must see Gravity.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown

IMO, Gravity (as good as it is) doesn't hold a candle to "2001:A Space Odyssey" though. 2001 was made in the mid/late 60s and put out in 1968 and still holds it's own in terms of SFX. This movie was made even before Armstrong's walk on the moon.

Gravity,  made 45 years later, with the extensive help of CGI and the knowledge of space exploration still owes a lot of it's aesthetics to 2001.

IMO, 2001 is a greater feat of film making than it's predecessor. 

Edited by Sir Triode
  • Like 1

I loved a movie when I was a kid, about three little robots that helped out on this space station. They were only robots but as the movie went on, you became attached to them, the space station had it's own garden etc, it was great.

I missed the real space station going over a few nights ago too. :(

Ah, this is it. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Running

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 3

IMO, Gravity (as good as it is) doesn't hold a candle to "2001:A Space Odyssey" 

Of course - no comparison.

I was a mere lad when I went to see Kubrick's Classic in Adelaide, circa 1968; back then they were handing out an 'explanatory' flier at the end.  Patrons were walking out shaking their heads and wondering WTF it all meant.

The good old days!

• Like 1