• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kdoot

kdoot

Digital devotee

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm all sorted on the pure digital audio side, with the Mac/Audiophilleo/Metrum combo feeding a power amp. But for my next trick I'm a bit stuck and need some suggestions please.

I want to replace my Rega integrated amp (which has a direct power amp input I'm using for the Metrum) with an actual power amp, probably an Arion S-250. The problem is what to do with my analogue sources: an FM tuner, the TV, the Blu-ray player etc. Been puzzling over that one for a while and suddenly it hits me: the Metrum has a switch on the front to select the presently-unused optical digital input.

So what I am now looking for is one of the following:

1. An analogue stereo pre-amp and a good-but-cheap stereo analogue-to-digital converter with 96kHz sampling and Toslink output
OR
2. A kind of digital pre-amp or mixer that looks at home in a lounge room, with at least three stereo analogue inputs and again a 96kHz Toslink output.

Any products spring to mind?
Lenehan ML2 Reference with "limited edition" stands < Ribbontek cables < Rotel RB-990BX (upgraded caps and wire) < Ribbonflex interconnects < Metrum Octave < Dtek digital cable < Audiophilleo 2 with PurePower < Mac mini with Audirvana+ doing upsampling and volume control

#2 Sir Sanders Zingmore

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Hah! Missed both my legs!

• Members
  • 5,822 posts
  • First Name:Whatmore

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

This has 2 analog inputs I think

http://www.creative....y=610&pid=20347

regards, Trevor

#3 Hifiplus

Hifiplus

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Analogue TV & Blu-ray? most Tvs these days have a digital out & the Blu-ray should be able to spit out regular PCM.

As for an ADC, check out Benchmark, Apogee and similar pro brands.

#4 kdoot

kdoot

Digital devotee

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

This has 2 analog inputs I think

http://www.creative....y=610&pid=20347

Thanks Trevor - it does have analogue inputs, but it doesn't have a Toslink output, so it's not going to do the job.
Lenehan ML2 Reference with "limited edition" stands < Ribbontek cables < Rotel RB-990BX (upgraded caps and wire) < Ribbonflex interconnects < Metrum Octave < Dtek digital cable < Audiophilleo 2 with PurePower < Mac mini with Audirvana+ doing upsampling and volume control

#5 kdoot

kdoot

Digital devotee

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Analogue TV & Blu-ray? most Tvs these days have a digital out & the Blu-ray should be able to spit out regular PCM.

Neither of them let you digitally change the volume, which is an issue when you have a very simple DAC connected straight to a power amp. Also the TV doesn't down-mix multichannel audio to stereo.
As for an ADC, check out Benchmark, Apogee and similar pro brands.

Yeah I have been on the Apogee site already. Their cheaper stuff doesn't have optical out, and the stuff which does is way overkill for my needs, expensive and would be out of place in a lounge room. Behringer don't seem to have anything like what I'm looking for. Will check out Benchmark.

Thanks for the thoughts...

#6 kdoot

kdoot

Digital devotee

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Emotiva USP-1 + Mytek Stereo96 could be the go... $1500 new though.

http://shop.emotiva....s/products/usp1
http://mytekdigital....ereo96-adc.html

#7 Hifiplus

Hifiplus

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

If interested I have a Meridian 561 for sale, it will take digital in, analogue in & has both digital and analog out.

Basically gives you full function pre-amp, surround processor and ADC/DAC.

#8 kdoot

kdoot

Digital devotee

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hmmm, that Meridian looks fascinating. It might do the job, but I'd also need a coax-to-optical converter and upsampler. Feel free to PM me to discuss details on the 561.

#9 davewantsmoore

davewantsmoore

Baked not fried

• Members
  • 6,857 posts
  • First Name:Dave

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Meridian stuff is great feature wise especially.... although that processor doesn't appear to have toslink output.

You could consider an analog preamp with HT bypass function .... or an analog preamp, and a switch box  (to choose between preamp and octave)

... or a preamp + poweramp with dual inputs

I'm sure you've already considered all the options, sorry. Just musing.

#10 Sir Sanders Zingmore

Sir Sanders Zingmore

• Members
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Meridian stuff is great feature wise especially.... although that processor doesn't appear to have toslink output.

You could consider an analog preamp with HT bypass function .... or an analog preamp, and a switch box  (to choose between preamp and octave)

... or a preamp + poweramp with dual inputs

I'm sure you've already considered all the options, sorry. Just musing.

Can you use your existing Rega integrated as a pre-amp only?

If so, then you could use it as dave suggests above

regards, Trevor

#11 SteveC

SteveC

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • First Name:Steve

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

Do the Arions have both XLR and RCA input?

How about Rega as a pre using RCA to XLR cable into power amp?

Then leave Metrum connected via RCA direct to power amp.

or you could replace the Rega with an AVR with pre-outs (again RCA to XLR cable) and use some of the digital/HDMI connections you have available.

#12 b.d

b.d

• Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

http://www.minidsp.c...inidsp-10x10-hd

Think this should do what you asking, and provide room correction if you in need.

They all sound the same.

#13 Nada

Nada

I know nothing...

• Members
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Do the Arions have both XLR and RCA input?

How about Rega as a pre using RCA to XLR cable into power amp?

Then leave Metrum connected via RCA direct to power amp.

or you could replace the Rega with an AVR with pre-outs (again RCA to XLR cable) and use some of the digital/HDMI connections you have available.

Brilliant.

Better to be kind then clever.

#14 davewantsmoore

davewantsmoore

Baked not fried

• Members
  • 6,857 posts
  • First Name:Dave

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

http://www.minidsp.c...inidsp-10x10-hd

Think this should do what you asking, and provide room correction if you in need.

Yes, it certainly would.   I have one, although thought it might not be high-end enough for this thread.

I don't use it's ADC much .... I find its DAC to be very sensitive to transports/upsampling/etc.

#15 Sir Sanders Zingmore

Sir Sanders Zingmore

• Members
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Yes, it certainly would. I have one, although thought it might not be high-end enough for this thread.

I don't use it's ADC much .... I find its DAC to be very sensitive to transports/upsampling/etc.
I might be wrong but I suspect if it's only the analog sources going through the minidsp it may be high- end enough (given that those sources are FM Tuner, Telly and Bluray and not a Turntable)

Edited by Whatmore, 07 May 2013 - 11:22 AM.

regards, Trevor

#16 kdoot

kdoot

Digital devotee

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I'm not keen on running two inputs to the Arion amplifier. The inputs aren't switched, so they're probably directly connected and I'd be applying voltage from one source across the outputs of the other. Can't be good.<br /><br />The Rega is not going to stay just as pre-amp, it has another job to do in a different room.<br /><br />A pre-amp with HT bypass is an option but not a favoured one... don't want to put anything unnecessary in between the DAC and power amp because less really is more in this case.<br /><br />But I'm nowhere near as fussy about SQ from the other sources, so Whatmore is right: I don't mind going downmarket for those. Sadly the miniDSP doesn't let you do selection of analog stereo pairs as well as volume control from the front panel, so it's out based on usability.<br /><br />Am starting to think I'm hunting a unicorn.

#17 georgehifi

georgehifi

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'm all sorted on the pure digital audio side, with the Mac/Audiophilleo/Metrum combo feeding a power amp. But for my next trick I'm a bit stuck and need some suggestions please.

I want to replace my Rega integrated amp (which has a direct power amp input I'm using for the Metrum) with an actual power amp, probably an Arion S-250. The problem is what to do with my analogue sources: an FM tuner, the TV, the Blu-ray player etc. Been puzzling over that one for a while and suddenly it hits me: the Metrum has a switch on the front to select the presently-unused optical digital input.

So what I am now looking for is one of the following:

1. An analogue stereo pre-amp and a good-but-cheap stereo analogue-to-digital converter with 96kHz sampling and Toslink output
OR
2. A kind of digital pre-amp or mixer that looks at home in a lounge room, with at least three stereo analogue inputs and again a 96kHz Toslink output.

Any products spring to mind?

Hi kdoot you have a PM.

Cheers George

Manufacturer and distributor of the Lightspeed Attenuator, a passive volume control.