cinemascope screens

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Peter the Greek

No room for a fixed screen? no aruguments, they're better.

Oz Theater Screen make the best in Australia imo

Have you got a lot of 2:35 material? I used to think a scope screen was the way to go, but I dont want to have a small 16:9 image for tv and gaming, so I'll mask top and bottom istead of the sides

....there is some phycology around being more "impressed" with a scope screen that is masked (no BS, someone did a study on it somewhere). But I dont buy into it

edit: let me clarrify - I'd get a 16:9 that is wide enough for your proposed scope image, but gives you a stupidly huge 16:9 image. So constant image width not height, just my 2 cents - depends on how big your room is and what you watch. I want sport in fully glory and same for film

Edited by Peter the Greek

Hi - Scope screen are definitely the way to go . I hada 16:9 screen and upgraded to a scope screen - Huge leap forward - but I have an anamorphic lens

RE fixed V motorised - I have had both FIXED is way better - retractable screens move slightly and the pure design of a screen means that you get a slight variation in reflected image or as I had the air con moves it

If you must go with retractable get one that has tensioning cable on the screen - they help keep it stable

warren

a little bit "one eyed" though that one hehe pun intended ! 

doesnt mention that blu-ray is a 16:9 format natively as with anything broad cast on TV and doesnt show what the same scene would look like for 16:9 material on an equivalent width 16:9 screen :)

Edited by :) al

not getting into the personal preferences, just making sure its clear the link you posted doesnt actually acknowledge that both HDTV and blu-ray as sources are actually 16:9 formats natively. and hence you loose nothing if utilise as elil indicated a 16:9 screen of width you want. it shows natively all 16:9 material ie hdtv and blu-ray in whats available on disc. and will show a scope film as on disc...in scope. if black bars worry you, masking is needed one way or the other no matter what screen form you go for. other point to keep in mind is if going for a scope screen that will also limit choice of projector with those with lens memory or alternatively an expensive scope lens and anamorphic mode on projector in question. again just some points to consider :)

In my experience of screen formats, I find the most flexible and enjoyable to live with is a large framed 16:9 screen with custom black velvet top and bottom masking. (manual panels or motorised)

Giving you a top result in 2:35.1 and then opening up to a epic 16:9 experience for movies such as Tron legacy,:- Dark knight or Dark knight rises (switching in both formats during the film). No lens and no fuss.

Hi Al

I do not undersatnd your comment:

"if black bars worry you, masking is needed one way or the other no matter what screen form you go for. other point to keep in mind is if going for a scope screen that will also limit choice of projector with those with lens memory or alternatively an expensive scope lens and anamorphic mode on projector in question. again just some points to consider :)"

I have a scope screen and do not have black bars at all - so it is not quite correct- however you do needa anamorphic lens

Oh if you have a scope screen, 16:9 stuff from bluray, DVD or fta tv/ HDTV will all give you black bars on a scope screen. Same as scope gives black bars on a 16:9 screen. One way or other you going to have black bars if bother you you would have to mask.

Edit unless you watch 16:9 material without taking scope lens out of play. but then you are chopping off top and bottom of the picture where its scope or 16:9 ! :D not sure every will be very happy about that hehe

Scope anamorphic lenses are very expensive. Good ones costing more than the pj itself. Additionally a lot of people are just zooming now which is lot cheaper and easier to implement.

just making sure its clear the link you posted doesnt actually acknowledge that both HDTV and blu-ray as sources are actually 16:9 formats natively.

Does it need too? "A 16:9 Letterboxed image sitting within a 21:9 Cinemascope screen. Not where the format boundaries are. The active image is the HDTV format 16:9" what more of an explanation do you want?

The op can either choose two ways of filling the scope screen- zoom or like you suggested buy an anamorphic lens

Speaking from personal preference and my experience  - give me a scope screen and my anamorphic lens any day.

Al, can you tell me what size screen you have?

PS: Some more relevant stuff to think about here

Edited by Craigandkim

Does it need too? "A 16:9 Letterboxed image sitting within a 21:9 Cinemascope screen. Not where the format boundaries are. The active image is the HDTV format 16:9" what more of an explanation do you want?

The op can either choose two ways of filling the scope screen- zoom or like you suggested buy an anamorphic lens

Speaking from personal preference and my experience  - give me a scope screen and my anamorphic lens any day.

Al, can you tell me what size screen you have?

PS: Some more relevant stuff to think about here

ofcourse it should. as mentioend its a little too one eyed in it doesnt actually mention to people that all material no matter the source, blu-ray, dvd, fta tv, hdtv is infact all natively 16:9 on disc or what is broadcast. 

by all means use a scope screen, zoom use lens what ever. we are not talking preference here, I'm just talking about some facts which if someone is going to list on their website they need to make that clear or can be pretty deceiving. 

my screen is a 92" 16:9 format that I view from thx recommended distance/viewing angle.

Facts don't really help when your source material deviates from the viewable image area of content of 16:9 ratio with letter-boxing,... this can be pretty deceiving, huh.

So on your 92" (114cm H x 200cm W) 16:9 screen anything which is 2.35:1 will only have an image height of 85cm.

With reference to Elill's post,if you went with a comparative height 120" 2.37 cinema-scope you'd have an image height of 118cm with 2.35:1 movies which represents a 70% increase in image size whilst slightly increasing your 92" 16:9 image size.

And the title of this post was cinemascope screens- Truly immersive.

Edited by Craigandkim

Facts don't really help when your source material deviates from the viewable image area of content of 16:9 ratio with letter-boxing,... this can be pretty deceiving, huh.

So on your 92" (114cm H x 200cm W) 16:9 screen anything which is 2.35:1 will only have an image height of 85cm.

With reference to Elill's post,if you went with a comparative height 120" 2.37 cinema-scope you'd have an image height of 118cm with 2.35:1 movies which represents a 70% increase in image size whilst slightly increasing your 92" 16:9 image size.

And the title of this post was cinemascope screens- Truly immersive.

so what ? why do I care? am happy with what I have at viewing distance its to thx spec on viewing angle and more than sufficient to resolve high definition on viewing distance. my wife calls it imax as it is. a larger/wider screen size eg the 120" scope screen you suggest is completely non sensical and stupid at my viewing distance. people dont often realise its not the size of the screen but the distance view it at thats the important thing. my 92" 16:9 screen works well in my setup I dont have to change it to a scope. and I not interested in requiring constant image height. As I mentioned its not about preference am not forcing anything down anyones throat as to what their prefernece might be scope or 16:9 have seen both format screens in pretty awesome setups and both work pretty well.

ps re elils post I think you need to re read it. he is actually suggesting constant image width ie on a 16:9 screen. I'm on other hand not suggesting anyone do either. its something upto personal prefernece and we have the choice to go either way. both can be right or wrong for differnet people and why people go for either format and quite happy with their choice.

Whoa,

slow down Al...

you are offering your opinion and I am offering mine...

no ones trying to ram anything down your throat.... if you're happy with your set-up that's all that matters.

I know what Elill is suggesting and in the post he said-"but gives you a stupidly huge 16:9 image"... that'll throw your viewing distance out the window. LOL

I am offering up some advantages of cinemascope to the op and you're trying to discredit the info

Edited by Craigandkim

no your ramming scope down my throat. not really something I asked for, and I made no comment on your settup or anyone elses suggesting they change to 16:9 either.

And I am not discrediting the info either, just was adding that it is a very one sided link that needs to also add the fact that all material whether blu-ray, dvd, fta tv, hdtv etc is either on disc or broad cast in 16:9 natively. its an important point am not really sure why it is such a problem for you or why you see it as discrediting anything.

yardley I notice you mentioned motorised, in australia theres two makers of motorised screens screen technics and lp morgan, both will have an option for size require and do custom drops and options etc. screen technics make the electricinema range which is a stiff rigid material, alternatively lp morgan make the rondo which is a thin stretch type with curved sides. both are very good in use with no curls wrinkles creases etc. I myself went the electricinema with its sturdy construction especially with little kids running about in the house. suggest if can head out to retailers that sell various options see for yourself what meets your needs :)

ive been viewing my barco crt projector on a 120inch 16.9 screen.  now that i have a jvcx90 i just thought going cinemascope was the way to go after seeing a cinemascope screen up in perth which was brilliant. as my 16-9 screen is  a fixed screen maybe i should keep it and buy a motorized scopescreen so i would have both formats covered. maybe its over the top what do you guys think?   craigandkim how big is your cinemascope screen? al your right about getting the viewing distance right as i went to one persons house and he had a screen 130inch and was sitting maybe 3 meters away.it made my head spin

Would have thought over the top yardley. There's a guy on dtv highjinx who runs dual screens. But I would have thought a single screen masked whether 16:9 or scope would do the same. Your not in melb but clef Hifi on their main setup mask a 16:9 screen for scope just as elil describes. If planning to mask a scope screen for 16:9 there's a guy in dtv prior that believe developed an affordable system for that. Aspect masking he's called. That way can just have one screen that does lot.

I run dual screens. But ones a plasma :D so motorized screen in front of it works well. But a lounge room not dedicated ht setup so different scenario I think than what your talking :) in a dedicated room and if can fit a fixed screen I would stick with that :)

Sdl on dtv uses a curved Stewart screen. They're really only necessary I believe if using an anamorphic lens and to counter the distortion otherwise imposed by the lens. I don't think need it if zooming for scope :)