Standmount Speakers: An Addict's Guide

• 3 weeks later...

Hi twwen2

Lot of nice reviews, I'm on holidays and yesteday your thead was my company by the pool!

Nice work man!!!!

My first reply was in October, post 76, i was on the hunt for a pair of stand mount, as the Amp was going to be a Rega Brio R.

When i've demo the Dynaudios Excite X12 i felt in love right there on the spot! I've demo it with a Pre/Power combo from Naim, i didn't bought them right away as my living room is 42 m2, and i was afraid that the "litle" Dyns wasn't enough to fill the living room.

But my dealer lend me a pair for a weekend, ohh boy i was "excited".

The soon i got home i hooked the Dyns to the Brio R, and...

I didn't quite believe in my ears, i said to my wife, no way that all this bass is coming from those speakers! I got up to check if my sub (BK XLS200 mkII) was on, NO It was not... :)

The sound was so smooth, so detaild, you can almoust hear what the singer is thinking, heck I could hear lot of things that I didn't heard before...

I know what the X12 can deliver, and what the improvements are if you give them a pre/power combo, or a powerfull amp!

I'm tempted to buy the new Elicit R, that way I keep the same sound sig, but with more air between the instruments, and more soundstage. I've talked to my Rega dealer if i could do a demo with my Dyns.

And if i go to the 1800€ mark, lot of another amps get in the way, for exemple, Exposure 3010S2, Audio Analog Fortissimo, Unison Research Unico Primo...

Do you have any experience with the dyns and any of the amps abouve?

And here are some pics of my system, hope you like it!

post-136133-0-51461300-1375012138_thumb.

post-136133-0-72814200-1375012342_thumb.

And if i go to the 1800€ mark, lot of another amps get in the way, for exemple, Exposure 3010S2, Audio Analog Fortissimo, Unison Research Unico Primo...

Do you have any experience with the dyns and any of the amps abouve?

The X12's and the Brio-R are a great match; you should be very happy with them. 

I haven't heard any of those amps I'm afraid. But as a general rule, Dynaudio speakers appreciate being fed lots of power. I expect you would see some nice gains from the new Elicit-R.

The X12's and the Brio-R are a great match; you should be very happy with them.  I haven't heard any of those amps I'm afraid. But as a general rule, Dynaudio speakers appreciate being fed lots of power. I expect you would see some nice gains from the new Elicit-R.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Yes the Brio R and Dyns X12 do a wonderfull mach, and with vinyl the sound is superb!

If I din't had the finantial possibility I could live VERY HAPPY with this combo!

Cheers

From post code 4810 perhaps? 

Sorry for the late reply. Yes from 4810, why do you ask? I bought them as soon as I heard them... They were near identical to my Aaron's but with a bigger sound stage and top end but falter at the power handling side of things which is fine for majority of music for me!

I originally ordered the 260's but changed my mind and decided to go all the way and swapped to the C1's.

Haven't heard the 260's, but if they're anything like the 160's they'll be incredible.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes from 4810, why do you ask? I bought them as soon as I heard them... They were near identical to my Aaron's but with a bigger sound stage and top end but falter at the power handling side of things which is fine for majority of music for me!

bjc a while back now, but i was looking into JBL at the time and noticed the QLD connection,  i was just wondering how they went or are going.

• 2 weeks later...
These were the first "real" speakers I ever owned...

I still remember the night I set these up in my room...

The A5 is a great desktop speaker that provides a solid entry point into the messy world of HiFi...

Same here! And I liked them so much that I built my loungeroom HT around them!

But I've been bitten by the bug and am looking for a change. I'm thinking of replacing the Audioengines with Usher S520s and an Usher S525 centre, so I'm hoping for your opinion about whether that's a step up, or a step sideways.

I'd like to continue using my Yammy receiver to start with, but I'm open to some more serious amplification for the fronts (prolly some power amp via the Yammy's L+R preamp outs). I'm trawling the forum for ideas but can you steer me in the right direction for something that would make the Ushers sing?

Thanks!

Jason

Hey Jason, welcome to SNA! You'll find many people here willing to help out with their experiences and advice. 

As for the Ushers - definitely an upgrade over the AudioEngine A5's. Just make sure you get an amp with a bit of drive - the receiver just isn't going to do them justice I'm afraid. I really enjoyed them with the Brio-R, but anything with decent current delivery will do the trick. Using a power amp with your receiver as a pre will work, but I'm not sure how good a pre it will actually be (I don't have much experience in that area but I'd suggest you'd be better off getting a decent 2-channel preamp with HT bypass).

Edited by twwen2

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, the Dynaudio Focus 160 are now the best standmounts I've owned. I'll do a full review eventually, but for now I'll just say that they're fantastic all-rounders that want for nothing. They're also a noticeable upgrade from the Excites (X12 and X32).

:thumb:

Hell keen for your review on these!

I have put a deposit down on them. Gonna be a long wait... :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Just come across your thread now, and suggest if you could audit ProAc 1SC and tell us what you think.

ProAc Tablette 8 Anniversary is also worth auditing.

Cheers,

Tung

He already did mate!

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/44568-standmount-speakers-an-addicts-guide/?p=863979