Standmount Speakers: An Addict's Guide

Ok, so I lied. The P7 isn't attached to anything yet - I'm still trying to find a used A21 power amp to pair with it. This is what's driving the Dyns at the moment: 

8982505707_4fb8873347_b.jpg

What do you think of the Supernait Tom as I almost bought one of these a while back but recently went for the Uniti.

Edit: just saw your reply above sorry.

Edited by bwhitesox

I've been pretty lazy - the notes are stacking up in a neat little pile - I do need to spend some time writing them up for all you lovely people :)

Here's the speakers coming up:

1) PMC DB1i

9047518538_b1fe55d7ee_b.jpg

2) B&W CM1

8716950434_47961c2366_b.jpg

3) B&W CM5

8715831385_5122ae2109_b.jpg

4) Spendor SA1

8922568639_64734f3b93_b.jpg

5) Dynaudio Focus 160

8982499929_6befb8a95c_b.jpg
Edited by twwen2
  • Like 1

twwen2 just noticed you and I share quite a similar setup. Mines in my sig.

How do you find the Plinius with the 160's? Looks to be a beast of an amp, and the Dyns sure do like power!

Splendid combination. Owned it for over a year now and they really do compliment each other. I highly, highly commend this combination and suggest (if possible) you get your hands on this amp and give it a listen with these speakers. I haven't heard the 160's with the A5, but reading about it sure makes me curious as to how it'll fare against the Kiwi amp.

Edited by h2oxide

Worth every cent. Pity Krispy no longer stocks Plinius gear or else you may have been able to talk to Cam regarding some kind of trial/loan program just so you could hear/review it. Not sure on that one but I know he's a pretty nice guy. Also its worth mentioning the Hautonga has been given a very conservative power rating so I'm confident it can supply in excess of 300WPC into 4 ohms. Plenty of juice for these puppies.

I can't believe you're selling the Spendor SA1s. These are beautiful speakers and sound amazing.....

If I had the money, I'd snap these up straight away for my second system, although they a worthy of being main speakers.

Edited by dolphy

The SA1 are indeed wonderful speakers; unfortunately they're just too compromised in their bass response (or lack of). They're simply just too small to move any meaningful amount of air for someone who likes to listen to rock, pop and electronica. Just got vocals and acoustic guitar? Then these are all you'll ever need.

I ran the Spendors with the Bladelius TYR (before I sold it) and the Rega Brio-R. Both worked well in my opinion; the Rega lost a bit of clarity and detail but had more emotion in the mids. The Bladelius on the other hand was a more sterile amp - cleaner delivery with more detail. 

I ran the Spendors with the Bladelius TYR (before I sold it) and the Rega Brio-R. Both worked well in my opinion; the Rega lost a bit of clarity and detail but had more emotion in the mids. The Bladelius on the other hand was a more sterile amp - cleaner delivery with more detail. 

Cheers!

The Gryphon encourages a tidy level of bass from the Spendors. As you say, they don't quite match it with quality larger drivers but they don't exactly embarrass themselves either. And what they do produce, they do it well - never flabby, never slow.

The SA1 are indeed wonderful speakers; unfortunately they're just too compromised in their bass response (or lack of). They're simply just too small to move any meaningful amount of air for someone who likes to listen to rock, pop and electronica. Just got vocals and acoustic guitar? Then these are all you'll ever need.

Paired the SA1s up with some Quad Monos and NAD M51. The vocals was utterly seductive. Being in a small room (4*4m) the bass response was pretty good. I can clearly hear the double bass and kick drum in jazz and rock recordings. 

• Like 1

Thanks krnjoejoe. The only Krix speakers I've heard are the little Atomix bookshelf speakers, and they didn't do much for me to be honest. 

Edited by twwen2

Krnjoejoe

I just recently sold a pair of Krix Atomix.

With all speakers, synergy with the rest of the system can make or break even the most highly regarded.

When the Atomix were hooked up to some valves, I can tell you they were so open and seductive that I hesitated to let them go when the PM arrived from a buyer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD