• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#91 BioBrian

BioBrian

100+ Post Club

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Very relieved that you got them back Sierra!

I had a similar problem: all were a pretty snug fit before painting, and I was really pleased, but after...

I worry about the dremel idea. I struggled to find something of almost the same diameter, so I could hold sandpaper around and not make uneven gouges. Maybe 120 to 150 grit would be appropriate. Have you noticed that almost all round objects like jars and cans have either a round edge or a lip? Eventually found a plumbing fitting about the size of sewer pipe, with a nice sharp edge, and spent a a lot of care placing it on the bed of the routed rebate to keep the vertical wall square. So lots of holding sandpaper around the 'pipe', working side to side. I had to cut off the edge of the paper a dozen or so times, but didn't actually get back to bare wood before they fitted: it was just the paint. Not as painful as I'd thought, and so nice to have it snug, unlike some in the past. It might not be as bad as you think!

Your colours look even more stunning now, and the plinths balance it well. Hope you get some great enjoyment with the final phase.

cangaceiro99: thanks for your complement. I routed all panel edges to avoid the B Birch splintering problem, except one little shortcut with a circular saw on the rear baffle tops: damn! Couldn't afford to lose any more length, so it stays imperfect... Also I used epoxy glue throughout, which makes all faults darker, but at least it feels like all gaps are filled.

#92 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

Hey B-Brian ...
Well I've learned one thing ... if there is ever a next time of building speakers ... driver holes and rebates will have clearance around them.

I like your suggestion of a large diameter object to wrap the sand paper around ... I have a piece of spouting down pipe that I can use.
That in combination with the dremmel should to the job ... but it will be slow and painstaking ... I cant afford to rush this and make a mistake ...

Yes the rich color of the Jarrah has really come out with the laquering :)

So ... don't keep us in suspense ... how do yours sound?

Phono Source - Modified Rega Planar 3, Modified RB300 Tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Black MC Cartridge
Phono Stage - Vacuum Tube Audio PH-16
CD Source - Arcam Alpha 9
Pre Amp - Vacuum Tube Audio SP-14
Power Amp - Bob Latino Dynaco ST-120
Secondary Amp - Jungson JA-88D
Main Speakers - Troels Gravesen DTQWT MkII
Secondary Speakers - Usher S520

#93 BioBrian

BioBrian

100+ Post Club

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Yes, I've noticed others going a bit quiet when they've finished. It's a very different world, stepping out of the obsession and exhaustion of the build, to quiet sitting, going through all the 'old fave' test CDs.

Initially, the sound was pretty hard and plastic, like pushing through layers of varnish and glue. Within 20 minutes the mids and tweeters had kind of melted a bit, and were showing much more warmth. After a few days of occasional heavy duty work, like the Notre Dame organ on SACD etc, the woofers are not showing much sign of loosening: they are a very stiff speaker, with a 250W rating, and it still confuses me about how they can match the sensitivity of the front drivers. I suppose if they did move a lot, they'd blow out the front woofer, as they connect to the same air space.

Using TDK's demo CD 'slow frequency sweep', there is slightly disappointing low bass (as yet), too much mid-bass, and a few minor lumps/shouty bits further up. But having tried this over a week or two now, some of the resonances change, odd ones turning out to be bits and pieces in the workshop! Opening the Rolladoor behind changes that mid-bass thing a lot too.

With music, they are a dream come true. Really complex, loud scores, like the end of Prokofiev's 5th Symphony, are incredibly clear and detailed, and speaking as an ex-violinist used to sitting in orchestras, the clarity is so much better than any other speaker I've heard. With the organ music the low bass is truly startling, and all bass seems completely without the resonance/muddiness I'm used to hearing with Bass Reflex cabs.

One really obvious point is that these speakers require a lower volume setting on the amplifier. My Cyrus 8 DAC usually sits on -27dB for serious listening; with these I get the same pain level, with a much bigger soundscape, in a much bigger space, at -30dB.

The dispersion is heaps better too: walking around, and even outside the room, they sound well balanced. Sound stage? It's very obvious where each instrument is sitting in the recording hall.

Listening to a grand piano (recent Pollini/Chopin/DGG recording) is just beautiful: there's something about the solidness of the speakers matching the solidness of a piano, and it's like there's something in the varnish that matches the sound of real instruments, too. Possibly just an impression, but they say it's the varnish that really helps make a Stradivarius sound so special.

I'm currently playing with Troels' tweak of hanging felt over the rear woofers, to cut the mid-bass a bit, but with initial listening, it sounds like the front ones are being muffled as well. So hard to be objective, so I keep having to turn all lights off, with every new placement.

Other stuff will have to wait, I think, as I fiddle more. I tilted them up 40mm at the front the other day (mainly to direct the front drivers at my head), and the bass seems clearer again, not being echoed back into the horn so much. Don't tell me I have to rebuild the feet please!

With the finish, I am OK. The minor faults are just for me to know about; they still look great. It feels like a privilege to have worked with such beautiful timbers.

So overall, and after a couple of weeks now, the thing I enjoy most is the clarity, and their ability to present huge complex scores, in detail, without effort. Being able to hear so much more in my recordings is not just a cliché: it's a powerful experience.

PS: Would anybody know of a good CD, or routine, for burning in woofers? I can't find the recommended Eminence procedure that I read somewhere on a forum...

#94 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thanks Brian ... a great description of how the sound is evolving ... I've been dying to hear what your thoughts were.

It sure is a change moving from build mode into listen mode and the expectation of how it will all sound ... I've gone through this a few times with my
car audio interests.

Your experence seems to follow the general trend ... they sound pretty ordinary upon initial fire up until things start to loosen up and then the magic
happens when all the drivers are properly run in.
Are you listening to them in your garage?? Not the an environment condusive to good SQ :P
Where will their permanent location be?

The Eminence drivers will require a long run in period as they are very stiff when new.
I would give them at least 200 hours before doing any critical listening and tuning.
The "tweaks" you are doing or planning on doing now may not even be nessassary once the drivers are properly broken in.

I would suggest that trying to do any tuning now with them still being so green will just confuse the issue later down the track.
Keep your steps simple ... run them in ... locate them in your final location and position ... then start your critical listening and tuning if needed
from there.

It's really exciting to hear your comments on how good they are at resolving detail in complex musical passages and how the bass response is "startling"
on organ music at such an early stage of their life.
Cant wait to hear all this for myself in the near future :)

As far as the burning in procedure for the Eminence woofers ... just use them normally.
They don't need to be cranked to withing a mm of their x-max to run them in.

The process I will be using is to run them every day at low listening levels ... well low enough so that is doesn't annoy the wife ... LOL
So I'll turn the system on when I get home from work and turn it off when I go to bed that night ... that will give me 6 to 7 hours running each day.
I'll just run the radio from the Tuner most of the time ... switching perhaps to a CD that has a bit of bass from time to time (Black Eyed Peas or
similar) and then turn the system up a bit when ever I find myself home alone ;)

Perhaps you could adopt something similar ... if you have tone controls you could boost up the bass a little bit just to get the woofers moving a touch
more.

I really don't have anything classical in my collection so looking to remedy that.

Any suggestions for CD's (or vinyl) of piano recordings which has lots of dynamics in them? ... and perhaps some pipe organ stuff with deep bass notes?
And since you are an ex violinist perhaps you can recomend some some well recorded violin material too :)
I have a 30th Anniversary Sampler CD from Reference Recordings which has Franz Liszt: Prelude on B-A-C-H by Felix Hell on a pipe organ which has some seriously low bass extension as it makes the 8" driver on my Audax's break out in cone flap ... cant wait to hear how the DTQWT's deal with this once run in
:)

So glad that you are happy with your build and the finish you achieved ... they look really good!
Looking forward to further updates from you as you get more hours on them ... for now ... Enjoy!! :)

Phono Source - Modified Rega Planar 3, Modified RB300 Tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Black MC Cartridge

#95 peacewise

peacewise

Squasher

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Cool thread and build, thanks for the read.
Jriver 17 on near passive PC > usb > nuwave dac > GraveScience XLR > HK990 > GraveScience Cables > vaf i66 & platform2 sub.

For sale threads :
http://www.stereo.ne...dio-nuwave-dac/

http://www.stereo.ne...-fs-vaf-i66-cc/

#96 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the kind words peacewise :)

#97 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Another little update.

Since discovering that the midrange driver and waveguide no longer fitted into the cutouts of the front baffle I've had to do some delicate rework to make them fit.
The next question was how to do that without damaging the finish.

First up was to put some low tack masking tape around the edge so that should I accidentally slip I wouldn't damage the finish and secondly it wouldhopefully protect the surface of the laquer from chipping etc while sanding away at the edge.
Attached File  01_DSCF2047.JPG   131.39KB   27 downloads

I used 80 grit emery cloth followed by 180 grit cut into a little strip and then wrapped around a 3" PVC downpipe end I had laying around in the garage.
Thanks BioBrian for sugesting this type of sanding method ... it was really the only way of doing it I think.
Attached File  02_DSCF2051.JPG   131.17KB   32 downloads
Attached File  03_DSCF2119.JPG   119.38KB   29 downloads

Slow painstaking sanding process ... not fun at all ...
Attached File  04_DSCF2049.JPG   116.51KB   31 downloads

Finally the midrange driver fits as it was supposed to.
Attached File  05_DSCF2120.JPG   123.91KB   31 downloads
Attached File  06_DSCF2087.JPG   118.03KB   33 downloads

I've temporarily taken over the lounge room and turned it into my work area ... I'm trying to be very carefull with the finish so I don't scratch or
dent it ... so carpet covered with a soft blanket makes an ideal surface to work on.

Another bonus of taking over the lounge room is I get to listen to good quality tunes while I work ... and break in my new Usher S520's :D
Attached File  07_DSCF2053.JPG   98.9KB   38 downloads
Attached File  07a_DSCF2091.JPG   125.36KB   45 downloads

There is quite a bit to sand before the wave guide fits again.
Attached File  08_DSCF2092.JPG   92.17KB   39 downloads
Attached File  09_DSCF2093.JPG   89.68KB   36 downloads

Masking tape around the wave guide.
Attached File  10_DSCF2094.JPG   144.75KB   35 downloads

Sanding, sanding and more sanding ...
Attached File  11_DSCF2095.JPG   143.6KB   38 downloads

Finally the wave guide fits again ... along with the midrange.
Attached File  12_DSCF2103.JPG   96.4KB   34 downloads
Attached File  13_DSCF2128.JPG   147.63KB   30 downloads

Masking tape removed and all dusted down.
Attached File  14_DSCF2108.JPG   128.13KB   30 downloads

Finaly everything fitted as it originally did ... and no scratches ... woo-hoo!!!
The only casualties are sore fingers and sore knees after doing both cabinets :P
Attached File  15_DSCF2134.JPG   129.84KB   43 downloads
Attached File  16_DSCF2135.JPG   148.3KB   43 downloads

*Note to self* ... Next time make driver cut outs at least 1mm bigger in diameter than the drivers!

Till the next update ... Thanks for looking. :)

#98 cheekyboy

cheekyboy

Official Sponsor

• Commercial Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

*Note to self* ... Next time make driver cut outs at least 1mm bigger in diameter than the drivers!

Hi Alan,

I've been following your build and it looks great, mate. They must be close to a listen now?

With your hole cutouts, it always pays to make a trial fit with the router and jig in some scrap material, before you make the final cutout in the actual baffle. :thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy, 01 January 2013 - 01:34 PM.

Vinyl Eye Records - Online New Vinyl Records

Wyndham Audio CH1 Loudspeakers - Vinyl Ready Loudspeakers.

Slee Loaner Program - Free trial of GSP equipment in your own system.

#99 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words Keith :)

Still a little bit more work to do till we have music ... but it's getting closer ...

Thing is we did trial the routing on some scrap ... and were really happy with how good a fit we made it at the time.
Unfortunately we didn't even consider the thickness of the finish on the cutouts or the timber movement of the front baffle pulling the hole cutouts out of round.

Guess that's what happens when you are a speaker building nube ... Live and Learn :)

#100 cheekyboy

cheekyboy

Official Sponsor

• Commercial Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

That's a good point, Alan, as I've had the same experience with Jarrah continuing to move. Have you considered that movement may not have finished yet? Could be wise not to drill your holes for fixing till you're ready to fit the drivers?

Cheers,

Keith

Vinyl Eye Records - Online New Vinyl Records

Wyndham Audio CH1 Loudspeakers - Vinyl Ready Loudspeakers.

Slee Loaner Program - Free trial of GSP equipment in your own system.

#101 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

There might still be some movement left in the Jarrah Keith but I'm hoping it won't cause any more problems.

The bolt holes have already been done and thread inserts already fitted to the front baffle.
However they still line up fine with the wave guide and the midrange so I'm OK on that point :)

I havent done the thread inserts into the rear baffle for the woofers yet but when I trial fitted them last week they looked fine too.

#102 BioBrian

BioBrian

100+ Post Club

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Well done again, Sierra! Some inspiring and very colourful photos. The black drivers make the timbers stand out even better.

The shrinkage of your timber is an issue we plywood users have not had to anticipate. I hope it doesn't continue to the point of splitting the timber later.
You asked about piano music with good dynamics: it appears you've answered your own question:
"There might still be some movement left in the Jarrah Keith"!... The opening of his (Keith Jarrett) 'Staircase' piano album used to appeal to me, although others rave about his 'Koln Concert'.

I use an OPPO BRP-83SE, which does SACD, DVD-audio, HDCD, etc, and have some favorite discs for that, eg the SACD "Midnight at Notre Dame" with Olivier Latry playing: the DGG recording is superb. But your organ CD might do the same job, by the sounds...

For normal CD, Krystian Zimerman playing Ravel's 2 Piano Concertos with Pierre Boulez conducting (DGG) is another outstanding recording, and some of the music is to die for.

Christian Thieleman conducting Richard Strauss' Alpine Symphony, also DGG, is one of the best recordings I know, and it was of a live concert of the Vienna Philharmonic, which has been called "the best orchestra in the world" when in full flight. The music paints a picture of a journey up a mountain, with dawn, and a storm, etc, giving a massive variety of orchestral sounds.

I have to say that fitting my woofers was a total dream using the 14ga self-tappers: they just went in, all 32 of them, in seconds, with an electric screw driver (Makita roofing driver on lowest torque setting). They just feel right; really solid and neat. Sorry if my opinion seems a bit harsh, but stuff those bushes: I'll not be trying that again! I believe the self-tappers get a better air seal, and they fit the 7mm woofer holes perfectly. Too late for you though? I have to paint them black, without painting the bare aluminium woofer edges. I'll put in a pic of them, which also is an adjunct to my 'Christmas Post', where I mentioned the epoxy glue, and ripping the edges of Baltic Birch ply:

Attached File  IMG_3213 1200 size.jpg   622.64KB   55 downloads

Sounds like you'll be finished soon, if not by now. I suppose we won't be satisfied until you get a camera on those binder post plates to show on your screen while not watching movies! The tension mounts...

Edited by BioBrian, 02 January 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#103 DQ828

DQ828

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Very nice work well done

#104 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hey BioBrian ...

It's all starting to come together nicely :)

Very clever on the Keith Jarret comment ... LOL
Thanks so much for all those CD recomendations ... cant wait to add them to my collection.
My CD player (Arcam Alpha 9) will play both SACD & HDCD ... so no problems with any of the disc's you've mentioned.

Now where would be the best place to find those titles ... is it something that JB HiFi would stock or do I need to look at places like Amazon?
Also with the CD's you mention are they only recorded on Deutsche Grammophon label or will I need to filter through a number of recording labels to make sure I get DGG recordings?

Regarding the woofers ... yes it is too late for me going back to self tappers the holes are already drilled for the bushes ... no air leaks though as the holes don't go all the way through the baffle.
I don't think there would be too much drama with air leaks anyway as there is no real pressure difference between front and back given the horn enclosure.

Well get cracking and paint those screw heads black :)

Still got a little bit to do yet before they are finished or at least before I can connect them up and have music.
Haven't finished the crossovers yet ... or made up my mind about the feet ... although that wont stop me from firing them up ... I'll just sit them on 90 x 45 battons temporarily.

What I have been umm-ing and ahh-ing about is the internal wiring between the crossovers and the drivers ...
As you mentioned because of all the negativity surrounding the supplied silver plated copper wire that you went for straight copper instead ...
So I've been considering both of those options as well as even more esoteric internal wiring ... but the prices are rather steep.

Given that these speakers for me are a kind of no compromise build and they will be a keeper I am tempted to spend the extra money if I get some tangeble benefits from them.

But there are so many different opinions/arguments out there on speaker wire and interconnects and what works and what doesnt ... that I have just thrown my hands up in frustration for the moment.

What I think I will do is build it as it is with the silver coated copper wire and put a couple of hundred hours on them to nicely run in.
Then I can look and making some mods from there ... Duelund caps in the crossovers perhaps and maybe changing the internal wiring.

Very nice work well done

Thanks DQ828 ... I'm very happy with how they are comming along.

#105 Paul Spencer

Paul Spencer

Über blogger

• Commercial Member
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Getting a too tight fitting on drivers - a very easy mistake to make. You might get it just right, and then clear finish goes on .......

Personally I like a relatively tight fit - loose enough that you can remove drivers without having to whack them out with a hammer, tight enough that you don't see an obvious gap.

SNA-sig-RSA.gif

LSK The Loudspeaker Kit - DIY speaker kits, fully assembled speakers and AV products. 

#106 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Getting a too tight fitting on drivers - a very easy mistake to make. You might get it just right, and then clear finish goes on .......
Thats pretty well what happened ... guess I'm not the first one to make that mistake.

Personally I like a relatively tight fit - loose enough that you can remove drivers without having to whack them out with a hammer, tight enough that you don't see an obvious gap.
That would be the ideal ... and what we tried to do but it didn't quite work out :)

#107 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Next up ...

Time to mount the tweeters to the wave guides.
Attached File  01_DSCF2176.JPG   75.51KB   37 downloads
Attached File  02_DSCF2178.JPG   61.88KB   39 downloads
Attached File  03_DSCF2179.JPG   75.1KB   36 downloads

Marking out the locations for drilling the self tappers holes.
Attached File  04_DSCF2181.JPG   93.96KB   36 downloads
Attached File  05_DSCF2184.JPG   129.36KB   37 downloads
Attached File  06_DSCF2185.JPG   105.46KB   38 downloads
Attached File  07_DSCF2186.JPG   77.74KB   37 downloads

Holes drilled and countersunk slightly to take away the raised edge.
Attached File  08_DSCF2193.JPG   79.84KB   39 downloads
Attached File  09_DSCF2190.JPG   89.75KB   39 downloads

Pre-screwing the self tappers into the waveguide. The material is very tough and requires a lot of pressure on the screwdriver so dont want to be doing that with a delicate tweeter around.
Attached File  10_DSCF2218.JPG   72.42KB   38 downloads

One down ... one to go.
Attached File  11_DSCF2198.JPG   76.24KB   40 downloads
Attached File  12_DSCF2195.JPG   71.26KB   44 downloads

Both finished.
Attached File  13_DSCF2224.JPG   71.71KB   42 downloads
Attached File  14_DSCF2223.JPG   51.26KB   49 downloads

Trial fitting into the cabinet ... it still fits :)
Attached File  15_DSCF2200.JPG   79.83KB   48 downloads

Thanks for looking.

#108 shaky

shaky

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  • First Name:Mr.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Not much to go now? They look great.

WORDS FAIL, MUSIC SPEAKS.

#109 BATMAQN

BATMAQN

Wannabe Bee Gee

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Another little update.

Since discovering that the midrange driver and waveguide no longer fitted into the cutouts of the front baffle I've had to do some delicate rework to make them fit.
The next question was how to do that without damaging the finish.

First up was to put some low tack masking tape around the edge so that should I accidentally slip I wouldn't damage the finish and secondly it wouldhopefully protect the surface of the laquer from chipping etc while sanding away at the edge.
attachicon.gif01_DSCF2047.JPG

I used 80 grit emery cloth followed by 180 grit cut into a little strip and then wrapped around a 3" PVC downpipe end I had laying around in the garage.
Thanks BioBrian for sugesting this type of sanding method ... it was really the only way of doing it I think.
attachicon.gif02_DSCF2051.JPG
attachicon.gif03_DSCF2119.JPG

Slow painstaking sanding process ... not fun at all ...
attachicon.gif04_DSCF2049.JPG

Finally the midrange driver fits as it was supposed to.
attachicon.gif05_DSCF2120.JPG
attachicon.gif06_DSCF2087.JPG

I've temporarily taken over the lounge room and turned it into my work area ... I'm trying to be very carefull with the finish so I don't scratch or
dent it ... so carpet covered with a soft blanket makes an ideal surface to work on.

Another bonus of taking over the lounge room is I get to listen to good quality tunes while I work ... and break in my new Usher S520's :D
attachicon.gif07_DSCF2053.JPG
attachicon.gif07a_DSCF2091.JPG

There is quite a bit to sand before the wave guide fits again.
attachicon.gif08_DSCF2092.JPG
attachicon.gif09_DSCF2093.JPG

Masking tape around the wave guide.
attachicon.gif10_DSCF2094.JPG

Sanding, sanding and more sanding ...
attachicon.gif11_DSCF2095.JPG

Finally the wave guide fits again ... along with the midrange.
attachicon.gif12_DSCF2103.JPG
attachicon.gif13_DSCF2128.JPG

Masking tape removed and all dusted down.
attachicon.gif14_DSCF2108.JPG

Finaly everything fitted as it originally did ... and no scratches ... woo-hoo!!!
The only casualties are sore fingers and sore knees after doing both cabinets :P
attachicon.gif15_DSCF2134.JPG
attachicon.gif16_DSCF2135.JPG

Till the next update ... Thanks for looking. :)

Excellent job and clever man on your sanding technique, necessity is the mother of all invention.

THE FNG :cool: AND I AM THE DUCK!!!

Main System Amps Yamaha 2x AX-1070, Pre Yamaha CX-2, Luxman SQ503, DAC Audio Gd19, CD/DVD Yamaha DVD-S567, Turntable Omnitronic DD-2250, Graphic Eq Yamaha EQ-330, Macbook Pro, Speakers Rogers LS7.

Theatre LG 60 inch Plasma, Apple TV3, Amps Denon PMA1080R x2, DAC Matrix Mini I, B&W DM630, Audio Definition Duets, Subwoofer DTX one of the big ones. 

Cables Mojo Van den Hul, Racks DIY.

Headphone Audio-Gd C2one, Grado SR325 modded, Grado SR80, Alessandro MS1, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. 

Bedroom Denon Amp SA 3900, Tuner Denon ST 3900, B&W Matrix series 1, Pioneer 43 inch Plasma, Apple TV3

iMac 27 setup Odac and Audioengine A5+ speakers.

#110 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thanks shaky ...

Still a little bit to do yet ...
Currently working on building the crossovers and a bit more work on the cabinets ... fitting the thread bushes for the socket head bolts for the woofers ... adding some more damping material where I missed earlier when the cabinets were going together ... then the internal wiring ... then the feet still need to be done to support the cabinets with a 40mm gap from the floor ...

So still a little bit to do ... I'm not going to rush to finish it ... there is no timefame for completion :)

#111 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Excellent job and clever man on your sanding technique, necessity is the mother of all invention.

Thank you ... not something I want to do again though ... it just took forever and killed my fingers and knees :D

#112 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Another little update:

Next step was to install the threaded bushes for the 4mm socket head screws.

These actually took a lot longer to install than I had expected.

Because of their short length it was really difficult to get them to go in perfectly straight square and it took me ages to get each one right.

The mounting holes on the Deltalite's dont leave much room around them ... in fact they are very awkwardly designed so accurate alignment of the threaded bushes is critical to get the bolt holes to line up properly.

These litttle buggers gave me so much grief!

Attached File  01_DSCF2254.JPG   120.53KB   60 downloads

Attached File  02_DSCF2256.JPG   119.82KB   57 downloads

Attached File  03_DSCF2234.JPG   133.12KB   59 downloads

Attached File  04_DSCF2237.JPG   113.25KB   67 downloads

Finally done ... all straight and square.

Attached File  05_DSCF2260.JPG   117.32KB   64 downloads

Attached File  06_DSCF2261.JPG   135.02KB   63 downloads

Bushes and speaker holes line up.

Attached File  07_DSCF2263.JPG   147.86KB   59 downloads

Final test fitting of each driver individually with all socket heads to make sure everything fits.

Attached File  08_DSCF2240.JPG   200.27KB   59 downloads

Attached File  9_DSCF2269.JPG   120.96KB   62 downloads

View from the inside.

Attached File  10_DSCF2246.JPG   122.97KB   70 downloads

Attached File  11_DSCF2271.JPG   110.64KB   69 downloads

Thanks for looking

#113 BATMAQN

BATMAQN

Wannabe Bee Gee

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Nothing is ever easy they are looking very nice.

THE FNG :cool: AND I AM THE DUCK!!!

Main System Amps Yamaha 2x AX-1070, Pre Yamaha CX-2, Luxman SQ503, DAC Audio Gd19, CD/DVD Yamaha DVD-S567, Turntable Omnitronic DD-2250, Graphic Eq Yamaha EQ-330, Macbook Pro, Speakers Rogers LS7.

Theatre LG 60 inch Plasma, Apple TV3, Amps Denon PMA1080R x2, DAC Matrix Mini I, B&W DM630, Audio Definition Duets, Subwoofer DTX one of the big ones. 

Cables Mojo Van den Hul, Racks DIY.

Headphone Audio-Gd C2one, Grado SR325 modded, Grado SR80, Alessandro MS1, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. 

Bedroom Denon Amp SA 3900, Tuner Denon ST 3900, B&W Matrix series 1, Pioneer 43 inch Plasma, Apple TV3

iMac 27 setup Odac and Audioengine A5+ speakers.

#114 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Thanks BATMAQN :)

Working on the crossovers at the moment.

#115 shaky

shaky

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  • First Name:Mr.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hey Sierra, how'd you guarantee those Tnuts went in straight? Did you use a bolt as a guide or some other method? Ate they just screwed in or fixed with glue etc?

WORDS FAIL, MUSIC SPEAKS.

#116 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Hey Shaky ...

I used a socket head bolt and screwed it into each bush individually and visually checked for squareness and adjusted as needed ... I have a good eye for that sort of thing :)

They are just screwed in ... no need for glue in this application.

#117 Paul Spencer

Paul Spencer

Über blogger

• Commercial Member
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

The easiest way to get the holes square is CNC (although that also adds issues because you have to know exactly what you want) ... the next easiest is to use a drill press and machine the driver recess before assembling the box.

SNA-sig-RSA.gif

LSK The Loudspeaker Kit - DIY speaker kits, fully assembled speakers and AV products. 

#118 Sierra

Sierra

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

CNC mill would be perfect ... and even a drill press would be great ... set the depth you need and no danger of going too far and drilling right through.

Alas ... just had to make do with a hand drill :)

#119 BioBrian

BioBrian

100+ Post Club

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Because I've had some interest, and because the front baffle is the main difference between the 2 current versions of this speaker, I thought I'd add a missing part of my drama.

I wanted a good seal, without the worry of solid wood moving and threatening the integrity of the glue joints, so decided on ply to cover right to the side panels, but didn't want the ply edge showing. Also, I could only get widths of 300mm from the sheets I had, and the total speaker width is 330mm (used the same but double-laminated, for the rear baffles). I used Baltic Birch, which my supplier had as 16.5mm thick. To make up the suggested 40mm baffle thickness, I laminated with the same 24mm BB ply that I used for the sides and tops. Then came the quadruple-angle edge that Troels specifies as necessary for "sound projection into the room", and to "reduce the delayed response of baffle edge diffraction". It's much easier to explain by posting the drawing etc:

Attached File  3142 - 1200 x 900.jpg   109.88KB   64 downloads

The Myrtle was the easiest part. The headache next was how to fill in the rest. I chose to do it in 2 parts, the first to go to the edge of the ply. I trimmed the angles down as I went, and was able to put the baffle inside-up and run the router along to trim both ply and Celery-top to a flat edge. I chose the moment to glue the baffles on, leaving the last strip for later:

Attached File  3149 Gluing on baffle 1200 x 900.jpg   137.88KB   69 downloads

Then the smallest strips on the edge. You'd think that if a piece of wood was curved, you could straighten it a bit with the buzzer, but no, every time I took a bit off, it curled up more! I just had to get the 2 gluing surfaces as flat and square as possible. Thought some might get some amusement from my attempts to tame it: I can count 12 clamps here, and a pile of bricks, and the chain is because I only had one sash clamp long enough. And this is only 1 of 4 strips...

Attached File  3157 Very lively Celery Top - 1200 x 900.jpg   119.58KB   59 downloads

The rest was surprisingly easy: I put the speaker on its side, and used the big expensive 45 degree router bit, which I thought I'd only get to use once on the job (chamfering the rear of the front woofer hole):

Attached File  3164 - Routing edge strip to 45 deg 1200 x 900.jpg   113.68KB   62 downloads

I couldn't use the edge trim bit on the angled surfaces, so I made up a jig to extend the flat surface and give a straight edge to run along. You might notice the threaded rod and wing-nuts, which saved about $100 on 900mm clamps:

Attached File  3176 - Jig for trimming ends 900 x 675.jpg   70.98KB   63 downloads

After some nightmares with even a very sharp hand plane cutting jagged bits where the grain changes, it all sanded down OK. The Baltic Birch has some amazing 3D-like beauty.

Attached File  3212 - Fr baffle finish 1200 x 900.jpg   68.79KB   66 downloads

Attached File  3204 Fr baffle top 1200 x 900.jpg   79.33KB   55 downloads

Hope this is of interest to readers, while Sierra's project comes to fruition.

Cheers from BioBrian.

Edited by BioBrian, 21 January 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#120 niss_man

niss_man

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

'sierra' are you perchance using laminated mdf in plantation oak? Looks alot like the last speakers I made. Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2