I blame that adhd-tt guy

:ph34r:

haha sorry. Once I get started I can't stop. I talk a lot in real life lol

You forgot one too:

Recommend A Film To The Person Posting Above you

haha sorry. Once I get started I can't stop. I talk a lot in real life lol

You forgot one too:

Recommend A Film To The Person Posting Above you

I know, I always get in trouble for rambling on internet forums.

:lol:

I did mention the "recommend" thread though.... But I said movie instead of film..

Actually I mis-named just about all of them....

;)

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

I know, I always get in trouble for rambling on internet forums.

:lol:

I did mention the "recommend" thread though.... But I said movie instead of film..

Actually I mis-named just about all of them....

;)

Hahaha so you did. I could talk about movies, stereo gear and electronics all day long. Its an awesome habit hehe

I'm thinking of going through Prometheus again, the music from the trailer is enough to inspire me for another viewing session.

Its interesting the running theme of Androids getting their heads knocked off in the Alien/Prometheus series. Is that white stuff that pours out of the injured Android coolant?

Edited by aad_ht

Hahaha so you did. I could talk about movies, stereo gear and electronics all day long

...and music and cars and welding and 2-stroke motors and timber and gadgets and the good old days and current projects and the human race and the universe and....

We need to catch up for a beer or twelve some time....

:)

...and music and cars and welding and 2-stroke motors and timber and gadgets and the good old days and current projects and the human race and the universe and....

We need to catch up for a beer or twelve some time....

Count me in for all of those, music, cars, welding (not that I know how but i'd like to), love 2 stroke mowers, i love working with timber but i'm crap at it still lol and gadgets.... hahaha. I don't drink but i'd be happy with a nice Creamy Soda maybe? haha

I always thought of it more as blood/hydraulic fluid/whatever makes him move.

Oh I see, seems to make sense. All this talk makes me wanna watch this instead of the Exorcism of Emily Rose tonight... Choices choices

• 2 weeks later...

Had to share this..

‘Blade Runner 2′: Ridley Scott Addresses the Film’s Delay

Not all fans of director Ridley Scott’s 1979 sci-fi classic Alien were pleased with the filmmaker’s recent return to that universe with Prometheus in 2012. However, undeterred by the film’s mixed response, Scott is still moving forward with plans for a sequel to that film (without the franchise’s signature creature) as well a follow-up to another of his most revered films, Blade Runner.

Wait..what?

Even with the ending to Prometheus??

Edited by likwidsh0k

^Like Alien3 - with Prometheus we didn't get the film intended. There is a lot more to the story than made the cinematic cut. Paradise could be quite an amazing continuation to the story if handled correctly.

The studios really need to let the creative crew have free reign. That is the only way they are going to make money in this climate. I know it kicks against the pricks but that pain needs to be endured to be financially viable looking forward. Or rust. It's ultimately the studio's choice.

Edit: *shakes fist at autocorrect

Edited by wim

^ Yeah, what I can't understand is given its Ridley and Alien why the studio's didn't give him free rein?

Because like modern 'pop' music recording studios, the movie studios pander to the perceived lowest common denominator. Devoid of creativity, and fearful of failure.

• Like 4

Because like modern 'pop' music recording studios, the movie studios pander to the perceived lowest common denominator. Devoid of creativity, and fearful of failure.

I agree completely, and I think the tremendous rise in piracy has its part to play in that pandering to ensure profitability..

Perhaps why we are getting more and more CGI and stuff that looks great on the big screen, as opposed to intelligent gripping stories etc in which the screen size, eg. at home, is far less important?

In some ways it seems that studios have a lot more to loose if a movie doesn't end up going well compared to the 70s/80s.

They do have a bigger budget in mind though

For example:
Alien 1979
Budget: $11 million (estimated)
Box Office: $9 Million

Prometheus

Budget: $120–130 million (estimated)

Box Office: $126 Million

No doubt the value of money has changed, but 11 Million dollars must have been quite a lot back in 1979. 

It is interesting when you take some films that have all the creativity possible (all ideas thrown in) such as Avatar, the costs go up too.

Budget: $237 Million (estimated)

Gross Box Office: $760,505,847 (USA) (12 November 2010)

Goes to show that a big risk can return a big gain, but it can also return a big loss.

These facts were retrieved from IMDB, please let me know if I have got some values incorrect.

I agree completely, and I think the tremendous rise in piracy has its part to play in that pandering to ensure profitability..

Perhaps why we are getting more and more CGI and stuff that looks great on the big screen, as opposed to intelligent gripping stories etc in which the screen size, eg. at home, is far less important?

Definitely.

I was blown away by Avatar in 3D at the cinema.

Watching it at home in 2D.....not so much.

The story was ridiculously stupid and cliche and predictable and everything else.

It was all about the 3D and shiny pretty things.

:mellow:

Can't wait for the sequel.

Will go see it in 3D for sure.

Another point well made too in a thread I started about how Trailers seem to be giving more and more away these days..

One of the troubles with many films these days is that they often rely so heavily on 'EFX' that the whole plot can be given away in a 2 or 3 minute trailer.

Sigh :P  :(

Greg

Another point well made too in a thread I started about how Trailers seem to be giving more and more away these days..

Thats very true. It seems like its about getting people to the cinema than the actual enjoyment of the film. Seems the "build up" of the movie makes more money than the satisfaction of the film.

Good movies market themselves I find, word of mouth spread after someone watches the film (and reviews on places like Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB) is a more powerful influence than some fancy trailer giving away more than I want to see.

I must admit though the trailer for The Avengers 2 had me yelling out random swear words in joy during scenes of the trailer lmao

• Like 1

Thats very true. It seems like its about getting people to the cinema than the actual enjoyment of the film. Seems the "build up" of the movie makes more money than the satisfaction of the film.

Good movies market themselves I find, word of mouth spread after someone watches the film (and reviews on places like Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB) is a more powerful influence than some fancy trailer giving away more than I want to see.

I must admit though the trailer for The Avengers 2 had me yelling out random swear words in joy during scenes of the trailer lmao

Exactamundo!

Though I put myself on a complete media ban before Matrix 2 after being completely blown away by the first, and also rumours that it was created as a trilogy..

Even went to Gold Class..

Whoa was I disappointed!!!!

There was a great review somewhere, I have never been able to find since, and is probably now long gone, but yeah proved conclusively it was never created as a trilogy and then went from bad to much, much worse :(

Seen it again since at the cinemas (just to make sure I wasn't missing something) and at home, and sure it has some spectacular action sequences but a Matrix sequel it was not.

Exactamundo!

Though I put myself on a complete media ban before Matrix 2 after being completely blown away by the first, and also rumours that it was created as a trilogy..

Even went to Gold Class..

Whoa was I disappointed!!!!

There was a great review somewhere, I have never been able to find since, and is probably now long gone, but yeah proved conclusively it was never created as a trilogy and then went from bad to much, much worse :(

Seen it again since at the cinemas (just to make sure I wasn't missing something) and at home, and sure it has some spectacular action sequences but a Matrix sequel it was not.

Story aside, they were never gonna top "Bullet Time" in terms of SFX.

And to be honest, I don't think anything ever will in terms of groundbreaking CGI SFX. :ph34r:

Sure, it had been done before, sort of, but The Matrix took it to a whole new level.

Neo on the rooftop, Morpheus getting shot in the leg, Neo and Smith fighting....legendary.

It was the coolest thing anyone had seen since Terminator 2 with the T-1000 rising from the chequered floor, more or less.

3D movies like Avamatar are cool at the cinema, but The Matrix will always look good, even on a small screen.

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

^ Definitely the bullet time was groundbreaking and awwwesome!!

What I loved most about the movie and my fellow anime fans agreed it was like a mainstream manga movie. Movies like Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Fist of the North Star, Wicked City, and this had a look to it that matched the movies perfectly, the green tinge there throughout and the way shots were composed all had a very manga-ish feel to them.

However in 2 & 3 these were completely stripped from the movies, making them more Hollywood fodder.

Reloaded introduced some interesting concepts, eg computer viruses and backdoors, and also that vampires etc where glitches in the matrix, and Bane (never really fully developed to its full potential)..

However this was completely and totally dragged down by.. Neo can fly and stop bullets but are still non-believers including the cheap-ass Star Trek rip-off council, they can't shoot him with 6 dudes with machines gun so how about 12' pikes instead, eve of humanities complete destruction so lets get shitfaced and shattered in a rave, and fights like burly brawl for the sake of them and SFX than for the movie, oh and the keymaker was waiting for Gozer to make an appearance.. and on and on and on..

The best thing Reloaded gave us was this MTV Awards spoof when JT and Stifler were at the peak of their powers..

Gave Prometheus another go on the weekend. Watched the first waterfall scene at reference level. Took the neighbour 3 minutes to start knocking lmao. Those neighbours of ours are sooo particular.

I wonder under what rights do I have to make some noise within the normal hours of the day 10am to say 10pm? They complain whenever they can hear ANYTHING and ask us to turn it down. Bugs the crap out of me.