• Please log in to reply
478 replies to this topic

#1 djb

djb

• Members
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

WHY OH WHY BUY LINN?
Why is it that Linn products hold such a complete hold over their adherents?
silly wobbly things with fatally failed suspensions that they worship to the exclusion of all other components
infinitely tweaked in a futile attempt to rectify the unrectifiable.
they even fight amongst themselves modernist linnies are reviled bt traditionalists for diverting from the one true path

Why when really they have all wandered from the pilgrims progress along the straight and narrow path into the linn slough of despair.

#2 TigerScent

TigerScent

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

...when all they needed to do, was get a 'rega planar 3' to begin with...:)

"Chance favours the prepared mind" Lois Pasteur
"
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God...1 John 3:1"

#3 Telecine

Telecine

• Members
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

Good question djb!

I think that it is more like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland:

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (commonly shortened to Alice in Wonderland) is an 1865 novel written by English author Charles Lutwidge Dodgson under the pseudonym Lewis Carroll. It tells of a girl named Alice who falls down a rabbit hole into a fantasy world (Wonderland) populated by peculiar, anthropomorphic creatures. The tale plays with logic, giving the story lasting popularity with adults as well as children."

Adapted to:

"Linnies’ Adventures in Wonderland (commonly shortened to Linnies in Wonderland) is a 1970’s philosophy developed by Ivor Tiefenbrun. It tells the tale of an audiophile who falls down a rabbit hole into a fantasy world (Linnies) populated by peculiar, anthropomorphic creatures (Ivor et al). The tale plays with logic (Source First, Tune dem, Follow the Tune), giving the story lasting popularity with Linnies."

I can understand the Source First philosophy, that is what Ivor came up with when he only had a turntable to sell but imagine a philosophy like Tune dem having any success? It teaches audiophiles to follow the tune, no, really it does.

Edited by Telecine, 27 December 2011 - 01:05 PM.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

#4 colinm1

colinm1

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

may years ago i sold my near new linn, and got a 15 year old oracle turntable,best move i ever made and best of all i had a fair few dollars left over to help upgrade the cart!!

vip 19 with outboard motor et arm benz cart,audiomeca transport, forsell dac ,mark levinson 383,dynaudio c1,
argento cables,crystal cable for speakers,shunyata hydra,shunyata power cables,harmonix power cable for levinson,aro traps

#5 MC240

MC240

All round good guy.

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Where's Wally prolly watching the cricket

#6 GregWormald

GregWormald

Commercial Member

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

May I suggest that you could substitute *ANY* brand for Linn and say much the same.

I bought my original Linn in 1978 and it handily beat every other TT to which I listened in the same price range (AR, Thorens, Pioneer, ... ).

I still have a TT with "Linn" on the top--except now it has more non-Linn parts than Linn parts. Why did I upgrade parts? 'Cause it was much cheaper than buying a new TT with the same sound quality.

Of course YMMV.

Greg

#7 proftournesol

proftournesol

• Moderators
  • 6,853 posts
  • First Name:Yes, and a second name too

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

LP12s have a particular sound, if you like that sound and it helps your system sound the way that you like it, then go for it:)
Whilst suspended turntables in general will never have the bass weight of a mass loaded TT, they can replace that with more micro-detail.

regards Michael
Analog: Thales TTT-C battery drive turntable and Simplicity tonearm , Soundsmith Straingauge Digital: modified CEC TL-51X transport , MacMini, Weiss Minerva DAC Tuner: Tandberg A3011 Preamp: tube rolled Octave HP500se Speakers: ADAM Tensor Deltas | Vibration management: HRS | Cables: Argento Serenity, WSS Kabel, Nordost, 1877 |

Second System Source:
Analog: Pink Triangle (totally Funked) Kuzma Stogi Reference, Soundsmith SMMC1 | Digital: Cambridge Audio DV99 | Apple TV (Gen 1)| DACMagic | Amplification: Sugden A25 Speakers: ADAM HM2

#8 :) al

:) al

purr...

• Moderators
  • 6,167 posts
  • First Name:al ?

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

I suppose with any brand can ask why do people buy brand X....well for the established brands with a good range of product obviously people do buy them dont they hehe otherwise would have long gone out of business.

Personally I do think theyre a very valid alternative. And heard few good examples turn in a wonderfull performance over the years. And whether new or second hand plenty of options and in a range of pricing to choose from so quite likely something for everyone if its what you want.

I'm all for all these brands with different offerings. How boring would life be if there was only one thing to buy ! and that way we can all buy what suits our needs and preferences and make our own value judgements as to what is best for us to buy and own :)
"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my Lounge room :)

#9 Proac

Proac

• Banned
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

Linn make more than turntables...some of their speakers - particularly the actives and the Kans are legendary. Pity about the rrp though: oucha.
Thanks for sharing

Best Wishes

#10 firefly0071

firefly0071

• Members
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

My issue (so to speak) is that they don't offer an entry model such as Pro-ject, Rega etc for those starting off. My first (and only so far) turntable is a Rega P2.

#11 TigerScent

TigerScent

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

My issue (so to speak) is that they don't offer an entry model such as Pro-ject, Rega etc for those starting off. My first (and only so far) turntable is a Rega P2.

...if you modded your Rega P2/RB300/250 (see my thread), I think you will find that it would out-perform most TT's out there, that do not have an isolated motor assembly at least..., including a LP12. I am confident enough to say, that I believe (with the same arm/cartridge) my Rega Planar 3 would out-perform a stock LP12 significantly...

...once you isolate your AC motor from the RP2 plinth, ... it has very little in terms of vibration to contend with, except the rotating spindle vibrations, for which you can get a ruby/ceramic bearing to minimise, mod the sub-platter, ...among other minor mods..., and vibrations from speakers (plinth dampening/isolating measures)

...the AC motor (and I daresay the DC one also) vibrates quite considerably..., its surprising that they didn't address this more effectively back at Rega-ville...

Edited by TigerScent, 27 December 2011 - 03:59 PM.

"
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God...1 John 3:1"

#12 TigerScent

TigerScent

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Linn make more than turntables...some of their speakers - particularly the actives and the Kans are legendary. Pity about the rrp though: oucha.

...the Linn speakers I heard were quite good....I must say....

Edited by TigerScent, 27 December 2011 - 04:00 PM.

"

#13 Chill3

Chill3

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

People buy Linn TTs because they sound bloody great !

Sure there is a few who lse the plot and become " linnies"

But that not the majority, the are Rega nuts too, a few may be posting here if they think a Rega 3 even modified is in the same class as a good Linn :)

There are better, hell after 25 years I no longer have one

But they are very very good
Platter turns, needle drops, sip of red
Chill ;)

#14 Monkeyboi

Monkeyboi

D.I.Y. Audio Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • First Name:Alan

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

WHY OH WHY BUY LINN?
Why is it that Linn products hold such a complete hold over their adherents?

They share a common aversion to the letter C? :)

Cheers,
Alan R.

THE MAIN SYSTEM IN THE STUDIO
Amplification
: ME-850HC power amp, ME-25 pre-amp with MM phono stage, Sony STR-DA5600ES receiver, Sony TA-P9000ES pre-amp, Sony TA-N9000ES x2 power amps, Sony TA-E9000ES pre-pro, Sources (digital): Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player, Sony MDS-JA3ES minidisc deck, Tascam DA20 Mk2 DAT deck, Philips DCC900 Digital Compack Cassette deck, Pioneer DV-S838A DVD-Audio player.  Sources (analogue): Technics SL1200 GLD turntable, Tascam 42B reel to reel, Sony TC-K570 cassette deck.  Speakers: Quad ESL2905 (fronts), KEF Q75 (rears), Richter Odin (sub) & Unicorn (centre), 
Equinox Audio Jupiters (alternate mains)  DACs: CEC DX-71 Mk2, Emotiva XDA1.  Cartridges: Shure V15 type 3 (MR stylus), Shure V15VxMR.  Misc: dbx 119, Aurex AD-2 noise reduction system, Sony SQD2010 SQ/QS quadraphonic decoder, JVC 4DD5 and Pioneer QD-240 CD4 discrete quadraphonic demodulators, VPI record cleaning machine.

LIVING ROOM SYSTEM IN THE MAIN HOUSE   Sony STR-DA5200ES receiver, Richter Wizards, Boston Acoustics CR9 speakers, Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray player, Sony PS3 slim, Humax HDR-1003S satellite receiver, T-Box.

Semi retired gear  Sony SCD-XA333ES SACD player, Philips DCC130 portable Digital Compact Cassette player, Sharp Minidisc portable, Technics SL1200 turntable, 250W + 250W monoblock power amps.

Retired gear in storage Sansui AU-417, Sansui TU-417, KEF Concerto speakers (2 pairs), Sony ST-JX741 tuner, Sony CDP-338ESD CD player,  Yamaha CA700 integrated amp, Tascam analogue mixing desk, custom analogue buffer / switch, custom RIAA pre-amp and a lot more other stuff than I care to list (mainly video) 

#15 wolster

wolster

Mod Squad

• Moderators
  • 6,666 posts
  • First Name:Yes

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

...when all they needed to do, was get a 'rega planar 3' to begin with...:)

Obviously never heard a LP12 :-)

Continuum Caliburn Reference Turntable and Costellon Stand, Cobra tonearm with Lyra Titan stereo cartridge, Boulder 2008 phono preamp, D'Agostino Momentum monoblocks, mbl Radialstrahler 101e MK II loudspeakers.

(...and if you believe that,....)

#16 wolster

wolster

Mod Squad

• Moderators
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

Where's Wally prolly watching the cricket

Right again, MC. The little master is batting beautifully.

Continuum Caliburn Reference Turntable and Costellon Stand, Cobra tonearm with Lyra Titan stereo cartridge, Boulder 2008 phono preamp, D'Agostino Momentum monoblocks, mbl Radialstrahler 101e MK II loudspeakers.

#17 wolster

wolster

Mod Squad

• Moderators
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

...if you modded your Rega P2/RB300/250 (see my thread), I think you will find that it would out-perform most TT's out there, that do not have an isolated motor assembly at least..., including a LP12. I am confident enough to say, that I believe (with the same arm/cartridge) my Rega Planar 3 would out-perform a stock LP12 significantly...[/I.

Allow me to doubt that, TS.

#18 bhobba

bhobba

Seriously DAC Addicted

• Members
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

WHY OH WHY BUY LINN?

You know - different strokes for different folks.

I tend to eschew the big boys these days an look mostly at the smaller boutique manufacturers. Not particularly rational but there you go.

Thanks
Bill

Mac-Mini, Essential Signature USB Cable, Level 2 PDX, Ribbontek RCA Cables, Arion 250W, Ribbontek Speaker Cables, Lenehan ML3 Reference.

#19 Telecine

Telecine

• Members
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Cheers,
Alan R.

....or a love of the letter K.:)
Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

#20 Soul Superfly

Soul Superfly

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Garrard SP25 Mk4 when i used vinyl

Happy New Year

Nick

Vortexbox - Marantz CD - Eastern Electric 32 Bit Tube DAC Plus - Earle Weston Time machine 300B - Zu Libtec - ZU Soul Superfly MK.1-B Modified :) - & - Icon Audio 40-6AS7, Abbey Road Studio Cables, Paradigm Reference Studio 60's V5 - Stax  SRM-T1 & 507's

#21 proftournesol

proftournesol

• Moderators
  • 6,853 posts
  • First Name:Yes, and a second name too

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

Cheers,
Alan R.

what a bunch of silly bunts! (apologies to Monty Python)

regards Michael
Analog: Thales TTT-C battery drive turntable and Simplicity tonearm , Soundsmith Straingauge Digital: modified CEC TL-51X transport , MacMini, Weiss Minerva DAC Tuner: Tandberg A3011 Preamp: tube rolled Octave HP500se Speakers: ADAM Tensor Deltas | Vibration management: HRS | Cables: Argento Serenity, WSS Kabel, Nordost, 1877 |

Second System Source:
Analog: Pink Triangle (totally Funked) Kuzma Stogi Reference, Soundsmith SMMC1 | Digital: Cambridge Audio DV99 | Apple TV (Gen 1)| DACMagic | Amplification: Sugden A25 Speakers: ADAM HM2

#22 TigerScent

TigerScent

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

Obviously never heard a LP12 :-)

...clearly has never heard a modded Rega Planar 3... ie: 'enlightenment'.... :)

"

#23 TigerScent

TigerScent

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Allow me to doubt that, TS.

hehehe...:) --- :)

"

#24 MGB65B

MGB65B

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

I don't claim to have the knowledge of (or these days the inclination to spend the time assessing) the nuances of fine audio that most others on this site have. It however gives me great reassurance that the same turntable that I bought nearly 35 years ago is still available today. Sure the manufacturer has made multiple upgrades in that time, but I gather all or most of those upgrades can be fitted to my same old turntable. I also know from personal recent experience that my Linn can be (and in fact very recently was; thanks to Vince Hamilton) refurbished and upgraded at what I consider to be an extremely reasonable cost to create a player that to my ears is a significantly better, and in fact stunning player, than it was when I first purchased it all those years ago. I consequently regard my Linn as one of my great purchases, and in the long run, a bargain. With apologies to Henry Rolls (or was it Royce?), the quality remains long after the price is forgotten.

#25 Catostylus

Catostylus

Catostylus mosaicus

• Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • First Name:David

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

It was Charles Rolls and Henry Royce, but I don't know who originated the quote.

And it's true.

Oppo BDP-95 | Arcam FMJ T32 | Technics SL-120 with SME Series III, Garrott P77 and Thorens MM-005-> Primare PRE30 -> SGR CX4Fs | STAX SRM-727 MkII > STAX SR-009.

For sale: Aslan F6 floor standers (strip laminate version)

#26 Krispy Audio

Krispy Audio

Official Sponsor

• Commercial Member
  • 2,786 posts
  • First Name:Cameron

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

I love my Yamaha P-500 DD - it punches at its own weight, so-to-speak :)

#27 :) al

:) al

purr...

• Moderators
  • 6,167 posts
  • First Name:al ?

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

It was Charles Rolls and Henry Royce, but I don't know who originated the quote.

And it's true.

"The quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

a quick search indicates the quote was from Rolls-Royce co-founder Henry Royce.

however Benjamin Franklin also credited to the quote below.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my Lounge room :)

#28 Willco

Willco

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

And it's true.

Actually it was Guccio Gucci

W

#29 wolster

wolster

Mod Squad

• Moderators
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

djb was obviously having a bored day when he started this thread. ;-)

He was probably also reflecting on the fact that the venerable LP12 is one of the few decks missing from his extensive collection :-)

#30 CraigC

CraigC

1000+ Post Club

• Members
  • 1,396 posts
  • First Name:Craig

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

Your both a beginner and a Tool

I think you're confusing him with yourself. Not the first derogatory post I've seen from you.
There are enough modifications to make it plausible.
Plinth can have mass added with a heavy steel brace like VPI. There is an isolation base that suspends the original plinth on sorbothane while mounting the motor off the plinth. Of course there is the low vibration motor and electronic speed control. There are numerous bearing and platter choices from acrylic to aluminum. There are machined sub platters and numerousresonance and damping treatments as well as thrust bearings for the motor. We haven't even started on the tone arm which by the way is the basis for numerous high performance tonearms.
I would consider it possible, expensive and it wouldn't be a rega after that so why bother, but hey I'm not dissing the idea.

Edited by CJCC67, 27 December 2011 - 07:13 PM.