• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#91 ortofun

ortofun

felis sylvestris grampia

• Members
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:05 AM

Just a junkie? Mate do you have children, friends, family, compassion, empathy..........?

Well said, flemo (and Fez).

It always surprises me how many folk lack empathy/compassion for others.

My condolences go out to those that were close to her.

R.I.P.

#92 Zammo

Zammo

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

She died with her boots on ... good on her. We all die sooner or later, I think there is an admirable courage in refusing the Rehab & Choose Life alternative & living & dieing on your terms.

I'm not sure many drug addicts live or die on their own terms ayou, and the whole concept of live fast, die young may be fine if you have no one who loves you. Amy did have people who loved her, though, and has left them to pick up the pieces of her egocentric lifestyle.

#93 Upfront

Upfront

• Members
  • 2,956 posts
  • First Name:Linc

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

She did not. That is a very common urban myth. She had a heart attack in a hotel room. Look it up if you are interested.

Just a bad joke. I thought it was funny

#94 ayou2

ayou2

Gimme some stick

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

I'm not sure many drug addicts live or die on their own terms ayou, and the whole concept of live fast, die young may be fine if you have no one who loves you. Amy did have people who loved her, though, and has left them to pick up the pieces of her egocentric lifestyle.

Point taken. I'll say this though ... Peter Brock dies driving a car, hailed as a legend, who died doing what he loved. Ex wife claims he was an absentee father with a strained relationship with his kids. A hero none the less. There are dozens of examples in the sporting world, mountaineers, yachtsman, small plane enthusiasts ... they all died doing what they loved, left families behind etc. Steve Irwin is another example from a different realm.

No one runs around telling sportsman or guys who like small planes to grow up, get over their adrenalin habit & retire to their local bowls club.

Why is it a different reaction from society when a musician dies from a drug overdose ? Musicians & drugs / booze go together like peas & carrots ... and that has long been the case. Lets face it, we love them for it. Until it ends up splashed across the tabloids one too many times ... blah blah blah, you know the rest.

#95 andythiing

andythiing

• Members
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

That is challenging ayou i know someone who meets your criteria! I guess it comes down to addiction vs choice?
The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask "why not?".

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=7naSc81WSqA

#96 GregWormald

GregWormald

Commercial Member

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:33 PM

I find it interesting that NOBODY seems to consider that the considerable ?help? she got, and undoubtedly paid for, seemed to be incompetent.

Greg
40+ years a psychotherapist and haven't lost a client.

#97 andythiing

andythiing

• Members
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Goodpoint greg
The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask "why not?".

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=7naSc81WSqA

#98 holdencaulfield2007

holdencaulfield2007

Plain Old Member

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  • First Name:Angelo

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:46 PM

Her life was a tragic train wreck and she left a grieving family behind. A promising career unfulfilled. Why would anyone aspire to that?
R.I.P. Amy Winehouse.

#99 IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:29 PM

Another junkie hits the deck....meh ;)

#100 adrocks

adrocks

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

Edited by adrocks, 05 August 2011 - 09:21 PM.

#101 IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Listen old son...I dont care wat works for you......

What I said is fact....something you need to read up about..........and were you a personal friend of hers to post your comments?

Maybe you need to read more....

In an interview in 2008, her mother Janis said she would be unsurprised if her daughter died before her time.
She said: 'I've known for a long time that my daughter has problems.
'But seeing it on screen rammed it home. I realise my daughter could be dead within the year. We're watching her kill herself, slowly.
'I've already come to terms with her dead. I've steeled myself to ask her what ground she wants to be buried in, which cemetery.
'Because the drugs will get her if she stays on this road.

Just another 2 bit celebrity that cant hold it together.......move along.

#102 adrocks

adrocks

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

Edited by adrocks, 05 August 2011 - 09:21 PM.

#103 IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

Mate you need to get out more......

I could think of plenty of people who deserve my compassion and alot that receive it....and they dont include drugged out losers who self destruct.....and wether they can sing or live under a bridge is irrelevant.....meh

A memory?.....oh wait ,what was her name again?

Forums are for making comment and expressing opinions...You made yours and I dont need you to decide what mine should be.

I guess you cried when Michael Jackson died too?

#104 Grumpy

Grumpy

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 10,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

Oh damm look where this has gone.
A person died - that is sad.
I hate druggies too for the pain and suferring they inflict on their often hurting and helpless families and friends. When they die, as expected in a lot of cases, they are still missed and loved dearly . We might not have liked them but we still love them.
Those of you running Amy down as just another Junkie death - i hope no one in your family ever turns that way. It happens and it happens to anyone no matter how high and mighty you may think you and your families are.
No! I'm not arguing with anyone here just stating a fact.
Can't believe the crap spoken around here.of a young death.

Edited by Grumpy, 30 July 2011 - 12:18 PM.

"I remember when I was young the Beatles turned me on I really blew my mind"

2 channel set-up -Garrard 401 TT - CA640c CD - NAD116 Pre - Rotel RB1070 amp- VAF DCX1v2 speakers.
A/V -Denon3802-PanasoniicXW300PVR-VAF DC6 - 2xJaycar 350w 12"subs-

#105 ortofun

ortofun

felis sylvestris grampia

• Members
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Another junkie hits the deck....meh ;)

You have a lot to learn about people, and life.

#106 adrocks

adrocks

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

Edited by adrocks, 05 August 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#107 soundfan

soundfan

• Members
  • 6,368 posts
  • First Name:Chris

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

In regards to IgglePiggle and his posts; some of you others need to respect HIS opinion too. And get over yourselves. I'm also a little ambivalent about Amy's death. Sure... a talent wasted and I feel for those who were related and tried to help her, but I'm not surprised it happened and I'm certainly not mourning her death.
My opinion.

One good thing about music. When it hits you, you feel no pain. Bob Marley

#108 Grumpy

Grumpy

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 10,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

In regards to IgglePiggle and his posts; some of you others need to respect HIS opinion too. And get over yourselves. I'm also a little ambivalent about Amy's death. Sure... a talent wasted and I feel for those who were related and tried to help her, but I'm not surprised it happened and I'm certainly not mourning her death.
My opinion.

Don't think i need to 'get over myself'. as you said, "respect his opinion" doesn't that include everyones? So I'll have mine, but i won't be running anyone down on here about theirs, but i don't have to agree or like it.

2 channel set-up -Garrard 401 TT - CA640c CD - NAD116 Pre - Rotel RB1070 amp- VAF DCX1v2 speakers.

#109 ortofun

ortofun

felis sylvestris grampia

• Members
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

My opinion.

Sorry mate.

It's just that narrow minded, judgemental folk get under my skin.

I'll try and avoid these sections.....lest I leave the forums altogether.

And as far as the "get over yourselves" goes, well, I'm not even going to bother letting you know my thoughts on that one.

Cheers
Ian.

#110 soundfan

soundfan

• Members
  • 6,368 posts
  • First Name:Chris

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Sorry mate.

It's just that narrow minded, judgemental folk get under my skin.

I'll try and avoid these sections.....lest I leave the forums altogether.

And as far as the "get over yourselves" goes, well, I'm not even going to bother letting you know my thoughts on that one.

Cheers
Ian.

Sorry. Maybe 'get over yourselves" was a little strong. But- no matter how your opinion differs from someone elses- respect that, and leave it at that. No one should ever have to conform with others views if they obviously feel as they do. And there's nothing worse than being told how one should feel. ;)

Chris

One good thing about music. When it hits you, you feel no pain. Bob Marley

#111 IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Here you are boys.....have a little cry over this one....sorry I couldnt find one of her smokin crack.....downing a pint or 2 will have to do.....;)

Posted Image

#112 Grumpy

Grumpy

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 10,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Thanks, nice pic. Doing what a lot of us do at GTG's

#113 joz

joz

monsieur illuminati

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

I dunno Grumps, can you get your hair into a beehive?

You Guys are Really Funny!

Home of the Illuminators!!

#114 ortofun

ortofun

felis sylvestris grampia

• Members
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

Here you are boys.....have a little cry over this one....sorry I couldnt find one of her smokin crack.....downing a pint or 2 will have to do.....;)

Posted Image

Hmm...Looks like Amy was a person of greater quality than you are at present.

Plenty of other audio forums for me...

#115 Grumpy

Grumpy

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 10,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

Sorry. Maybe 'get over yourselves" was a little strong. But- no matter how your opinion differs from someone elses- respect that, and leave it at that. No one should ever have to conform with others views if they obviously feel as they do. And there's nothing worse than being told how one should feel. ;)

Chris

Yep!I agree Chris, there should be respect and you show it

#116 joz

joz

monsieur illuminati

• Members
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

Point taken. I'll say this though ... Peter Brock dies driving a car, hailed as a legend, who died doing what he loved. Ex wife claims he was an absentee father with a strained relationship with his kids. A hero none the less. There are dozens of examples in the sporting world, mountaineers, yachtsman, small plane enthusiasts ... they all died doing what they loved, left families behind etc. Steve Irwin is another example from a different realm.

No one runs around telling sportsman or guys who like small planes to grow up, get over their adrenalin habit & retire to their local bowls club.

Why is it a different reaction from society when a musician dies from a drug overdose ? Musicians & drugs / booze go together like peas & carrots ... and that has long been the case. Lets face it, we love them for it. Until it ends up splashed across the tabloids one too many times ... blah blah blah, you know the rest.

Pushing the limits of human endurance and tempting fate in sport (although sometimes foolhardy) IMO do not equate to self destruction by polluting ones self with substances.
It wasn't the music which killed her it was drugs.

Perhaps many more high profile addicts and substance abusers should die as an example to the young which try to emulate them.
Now I don't mean that even though I'm saying it.
But how do you remove the social acceptabilty of substance abuse to minors?

You Guys are Really Funny!

Home of the Illuminators!!

#117 IgglePiggle

IgglePiggle

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

Hmm...Looks like Amy was a person of greater quality than you are at present.

Plenty of other audio forums for me...

narrow minded, judgemental folk

gee..who said that?

Boo hoo

;)

#118 Zammo

Zammo

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

It is the nature of youth to rebel. The perception of people within the popular music industry as cool and aspirational is more a product of the marketing departments and media as anything based in reality. If drug abuse and other rebellious activites add to that perception, then some will run with it. It is the social unacceptability that makes it attractive to minors. My role as a parent is to define to my children the reality from the myth, and to hope they can find role models that are defined by their talent, courage, and honesty.

Edited by Zammo, 30 July 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#119 Full Range

Full Range

I like to invent things

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • First Name:Paul

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

I have to confess that I have never listened to any of her music
For the first time today I had a listen to the album Back to Black

The style reminds me of US 50s/60s music similar to the movie Dirty Dancing
Would I be right ??

FR
FR
Amp Earle Weston Tweaker MK 4 DAC Earle Weston 6SN7 Tube Prototype DAC and pre amp Speakers Ultra Modified Klipsch La Scala Horn Speakers CD Marantz CD94 MKII :Audio GD 7SETurntables Garard 401, Revox 795 Tape Sony TC 765 R2R, Nakamichi Home Theatre Is handled by JVC components Also [size=1]Art Collector, Coffee Lover, Inventor: QLD Audiophile Club Member - Paul P

#120 ayou2

ayou2

Gimme some stick

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

Pushing the limits of human endurance and tempting fate in sport (although sometimes foolhardy) IMO do not equate to self destruction by polluting ones self with substances.
It wasn't the music which killed her it was drugs.

Perhaps many more high profile addicts and substance abusers should die as an example to the young which try to emulate them.
Now I don't mean that even though I'm saying it.

Oh well, I'll leave the last word to the ever trusty Bill Hicks ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LwyCHhbxOM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmzcroUmdU&feature=related