Hi-Fi news, information and community

Photo
- - - - -

Help with speaker choice, Sonique, VAF, Focal...

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hi folks,
I am after a few opinions and some assistance if possible.

I am on a quest for a new front stage for my living room, I use this room to listen to cd's, mp3's, vinyl, watch tv and so forth. I am using a Marantz 7002 for both Home Theatre and Stereo listening.

I used to use a set of Yamaha floorstanders for my fronts, i sold these a few months back with the view to upgrading to a better sounding speaker, specifically I found that midrange and high end detail was missing in the Yamaha speakers which I have tried on various amp's over the years, the best results have been with the Marantz.

I have auditioned several speakers over the last few weeks and have come down to the following;

Sonique Diamond 650 Floorstanders.

Focal Chorus 826v floorstanders.

I really like the sound out of both speakers.

I find the Sonique speakers have a very clean sound with more detailed midrange and high's.... I find they are lacking a bit in the bass department... I find their sound very engaging and real.

I find the Focals have a great presence in the room, lots of bass - perhaps a bit boomy in parts, and perhaps lacking a little in the mid range and high end areas when compared to the Sonique.

At this point I will be running these speakers off the Marantz, I am looking to sort out speakers before considering a power amp in the future.

I wont be purchasing a center channel just at the moment but will in the future.

I have a Yamaha sub YST-sw1800 connected to the system which I sometimes use when listening to music and always when listening to HT..

I have two questions and would appreciate some advice;

1. I dont know alot about Sonique speakers, they seem very well made and I really like their sound, on the surface they seem very expensive for what you get compared to the Focals - in terms of bass response and sheer bulk (this sounds a bit silly I know)... but I am working under the assumption that the Sonique's are a reaosonably botique speaker with potentially better sound than the focals... Some help/advice here would be great, it seems like there is a trade-off between the focals and the sonqiues in terms of Sonique's perhaps being a bit more delicate and articulate but perhaps a bit light on bass compared to the Focals which are perhaps a little less delicate with their sound (refined perhaps) with more bass. Are the soniques suitable for my application of HT, stereo listening,etc from something like the Marantz 7002?

2. I have long been a fan of VAF speakers after hearing a friends DC-X's about 4 years ago. I understand they have changed to 4th Gen since he purchased his pair... are the DC-X's in the same league sonically as something like the Sonique's ? or closer to the Focals? Being from Melbourne I am unable to audition the VAF DC-X 4th gen's as there is no showroom in Melbourne... can anyone comment here? has anyone compared the Vaf'S against the soniques?

Investing a sizeable amount (near 4k) into a set of speakers is quite an investment for me, I know that sound is subjective and to me the Sonique seem to have the edge on the Focals given that I am looking at midrange and high performance, the focals were a bit boomy but as I said, had a great presence in the room... a bit of a wow factor... I wonder if the VAF DC-X could be a good half-way point between the Sonique and the Focals... and given the VAF is cheaper... would be a worthwhile consideration.... in addition, buying Australian made is also my preference...

Thanks
Drew
AV: Marantz SR7002, Marantz CD6003, VAF I-91, Hitachi PD8800TA, PS3, Foxtel IQ, Yamaha SW-800.

RETRO: Beomaster 1900, Beovox S55, Technics 1210mk2,

#2 lebowski

lebowski

The Dude abides

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

Drew, you can audition VAF DCX Gen4 at Clef Hi Fi here in Melbourne. I have not heard the Soniques or Focal so can't comment.
I bought my DCX as they are a good all-rounder, not particularly fantastic in any one area but still a very good speaker for $3k
If you like bass, you will love the DCX :)
the Dude abides

#3 Peter the Greek

Peter the Greek

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

What is the size/shape of your room? furnishings? floor? windows? its hard to recommend a suitable speaker without knowing its application.

As an aside, my personal preference for VAF is soundwall or I91 plus their smaller sub, not DC-X, but thats just me.....you can easily add a third as a centre when you've got the cash

I'd be replacing the sub you've got, if it were me.

#4 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

The room is about 5m wide and 6m long with wooden floorboards. Windows along the back of the room with wooden venetians. It's a rental and the next house could be carpeted so looking for a good all-rounder. there are three couches in the room, speakers are about 2m apart but can be up to 3m apart if required. At this point in time i don't want to upgrade the sub as I am quite attached to it.

Thanks for the tip about clef. Will try and get in there Soon. Do many people on here have experience with the Sonique's?

Thanks
drew
AV: Marantz SR7002, Marantz CD6003, VAF I-91, Hitachi PD8800TA, PS3, Foxtel IQ, Yamaha SW-800.

#5 Peter the Greek

Peter the Greek

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

If thats the case then get the i-91s. Keep the sub, just get a new one - the more the better, so long as you can EQ them.

Something you should be aware of though is that 1" dome tweeters physically dont do a good job after say 3.5m in most cases, so if you're expecting perfection these and many other speakers wont cut it. You need a compression driver or horn to do it.

Also, a common misconception of 2 channel is that it'll deliver good bass to all seating locations.....unlikely to be the case as the best place in a room for bass isn't the best place for a sound stage - hence smaller mains and seperate subs are better. This isn't hearsay its undisputed laws of physics. Hence the reason I suggest the 91's as they're better than the DC-x's at +80hz (that last it is IMO, I think they sound better at such levels)

#6 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

has anyone had experience with the Sonique?

Elill I am off to audition the DCX and I-91's tomorrow

Drew

#7 RockandorRoll

RockandorRoll

this hobby is stupid

• Members
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

i havent heard the Soniques but with regards to the Focal vs Vaf thing, i found the Focal highs slightly withdrawn but they had an excellent midrange (707 bookshelf) whereas the VAF do excellent imaging but have a lighter midrange.

we all have different ears though

VPI Scout II : Rega Saturn : PS Audio DLIII (Cullen) : Luxman L550AII : VAF I-33

NAD C565BEE : NAD C355BEE  : John Blue JB4

Bel Canto 300iu : John Blue JB3

#8 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

Elill, I went and auditioned the DC-X today, something was missing for me, I found the mid-range a bit boomy and not as transparent as the Sonique's. Then I tried the I-91's and the rest is history :nana

Drew

#9 Grumpy

Grumpy

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 10,581 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

Elill, I went and auditioned the DC-X today, something was missing for me, I found the mid-range a bit boomy and not as transparent as the Sonique's. Then I tried the I-91's and the rest is history :nana

Drew

So! are you getting the 1.91's?
Bloody great stand-mounts aren't they?

"I remember when I was young the Beatles turned me on I really blew my mind"

2 channel set-up -Garrard 401 TT - CA640c CD - NAD116 Pre - Rotel RB1070 amp- VAF DCX1v2 speakers.
A/V -Denon3802-PanasoniicXW300PVR-VAF DC6 - 2xJaycar 350w 12"subs-

#10 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

they are bloody great stand mounts... I purchased them and took advantage of the 20% discount which ends today... should be here in a week... i cant believe the low end they produce for a stand mount - i kept looking for the subwoofer in the demo room...

I found the I91's had a more detailed mid and top end than the dc-x... My yamaha sub can help out with the low end when im looking for a bit more bass impact in HT...

They are one of the few speakers I have auditioned which got me excited, I kept wanting to try all these different cd's just to see how they sounded and was not disappointed at all. :nana

Drew

#11 Peter the Greek

Peter the Greek

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

Glad to hear it!

They're a great product, especially when coupled with a sub. You'll get many years of enjoyment from them.

#12 Rural Rat

Rural Rat

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Drew

Hmmm.....where have I heard this story before?
Enjoy them!

Pro-ject Perspective + Speedbox+Q-up, F117 Nighthawk, Garrott Optim. Pioneer BDP160. Apple TVs (mk1 & 2).
Anthem MRX700. VAF i91s and i33s. Kiwi RCM
..."I'm livin' in a nightmare. Shes looking like a wet dream".....Bon Scott, Down Payment Blues.

#13 Grumpy

Grumpy

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 10,581 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

I love a happy ending - or is that the 'start' of a happy ending - or, the start to happy?:nana

2 channel set-up -Garrard 401 TT - CA640c CD - NAD116 Pre - Rotel RB1070 amp- VAF DCX1v2 speakers.

#14 Keith_W

Keith_W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Congratulations on your purchase! You have reached exactly the same conclusion as I did when I last heard the DC-X and I-91 side by side. Ellil's comments above are worth considering also - the I-91 does not produce enough bass, but that is easily rectified with a quality subwoofer.

#15 Philip Vafiadis

Philip Vafiadis

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

they are bloody great stand mounts... I purchased them and took advantage of the 20% discount which ends today... should be here in a week... i cant believe the low end they produce for a stand mount - i kept looking for the subwoofer in the demo room...

I found the I91's had a more detailed mid and top end than the dc-x... My yamaha sub can help out with the low end when im looking for a bit more bass impact in HT...

They are one of the few speakers I have auditioned which got me excited, I kept wanting to try all these different cd's just to see how they sounded and was not disappointed at all. :(

Drew

Thanks for an interesting thread Drew. I never like posting in threads discussing purchase of our loudspeakers (or anyone else's) as it seems so self serving. Now that you've ordered though I'm pleased as despite your already strong positive perceptions so far these little Signature I-91 loudspeakers will grow on you more and more. The soundstage and imaging are really quite intimate and compelling and their ability to express dynamics is far beyond what their size might suggest - quite a few serious musicians own them as do a number of recording and production studios, so you are in good company.

Enjoy
Philip Vafiadis
Founder VAF Research www.vaf.com.au

#16 Grumpy

Grumpy

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 10,581 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

Drew

Having heard Ruralrats 1-91's I'd say the bass was plenty good enough for most.
What are the measurements of the 1-91's, re their bass output Phillip?

#17 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Phil, once I receive them I will post back with some more comments. I am a big fan of buying Australian products when possible, and to be honest, purchasing speakers can be such a daunting task, you want to make sure you get something which meets certain criteria but in reality unless you can take them home to demo in your own room, you never really know what you are purchasing as such... its great to have a forum such as this which enables people to share ideas and comments - as we all know, sound and perception of good sound is such an individual thing :(

Drew

#18 Audiobugged

Audiobugged

Listen to Music. Not Gear.

• Members
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

Congratulations on your purchase! You have reached exactly the same conclusion as I did when I last heard the DC-X and I-91 side by side. Ellil's comments above are worth considering also - the I-91 does not produce enough bass, but that is easily rectified with a quality subwoofer.

Plus one here. The i91's were the speakers that most impressed me in the recent vaf roadshow in Sydney. Phil should be justifiably proud! Very refined, articulate and transparent for the money.

AB
Primo: SB Transporter (+Qnap) -> KRK Ergo -> Supratek Sauvignon -> Pass Labs X150 -> Lenehan ML1++ / SF Cremona Auditor, REL Strata 5
Secondo/Headfi:
SB3 (modded), Lavry Da-10 -> CA 840 V2 / MF X-10,X-Can,X-PSU V3 -> HD650 / Yamaha Soavo 2
Portable: Asus S101+foobar, iPhone 3G -> ibasso d10 -> IE8

#19 Philip Vafiadis

Philip Vafiadis

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

Bass is clean and audible down to mid 30's. -3db is at around 45Hz so they can play the open E string on a four string bass pretty well, they are a little soft the B on a more rare five string bass, and the floor shaking stuff from movies really benefits from decent subwoofers. We have a LOT of Signature I-91 audiophile owners who use them in stereo only just as they are. Most of the other folks who use them in surround systems will add a spaced pair of our MPB SW4 powered subwoofers or our MPB SW19 powered subwoofer. Hope this helps Grumpy.
Philip Vafiadis
Founder VAF Research www.vaf.com.au

#20 Vladimir Freddie

Vladimir Freddie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Well done! I can't see how you'll ever be disappointed!

I agree totally with your choice, but then again I am biased. I'm currently waiting for my pair of I-91s to be built. So I could hardly fault your choice!

I've owned Soniques in the past & they good speakers but I've never been moved emotionally by Focals. I didn't even listen to them this time around because I've bought mine initially to use as rear channels and need something either sealed of front ported.

But I suspect that when the house is empty, & I experiment with them at the front of the room driven by my Krell, I'll be even more blown away! :( If so it may be that my Duntechs days are numbered :)

Cheers
Dave

Cheers,

VF

Live music events attended this year:

March 2014: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers @ The Shedley.  April 2014: Adelaide Chamber Singers "Crystalline" @ St Peters Cathedral.

Best hi-fi purchases:

Krell KAV300i.  Bought it new in 1995 & is still my main 2 Channel amp. 

Vaf i66. Bought in December 2013 and still my main 2 Channel Speakers  :thumb: 

#21 Rural Rat

Rural Rat

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

No sub here. Works for me.:(

Pro-ject Perspective + Speedbox+Q-up, F117 Nighthawk, Garrott Optim. Pioneer BDP160. Apple TVs (mk1 & 2).
..."I'm livin' in a nightmare. Shes looking like a wet dream".....Bon Scott, Down Payment Blues.

#22 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

Hi everyone, I thought I would get back to you with an update.

My I91's arrived on Tuesday this week, I was quite excited...

My setup is pretty modest, im using a Marantz SR7002 AVR, a Marantz CD6003 (newly purchased) connected using Belkin pure av component video cables, an Apple Airport express, PS3 and Foxtel for sources. Chord Carnival Classic speaker cable with bananna plugs, and the I91's sit atop some Lovan Ballet 29inch stands filled 3/4 with silica sand, on spikes, on Lovan spike cups, on the floorboards (sounds like a Dr Seuss story)...

Anyhow initial listening with some cd's from the Marantz 6003 showed the speakers be quite boomy in the midrange department and lacking bass, not quite like what I remembered in the store. Note in the store i was using the same cdp and cables but with a Marantz PM6003 amp which is probably an equivalent to the 7002 in stereo performance.

I played the I91's at moderate volume for a few hours and with the passing of each hour they opened up a bit more. After about 8 hours of playing time now they sound much better, the boomyness in the midrange has gone and I am getting much better low end response from them. People who have heard them so far are totally stunned by their ability to 'fill the room with sound' as its not a small room, and also by their low end response from a standmount!

So far I am very happy, watching a totally crappy video source such as a downloaded 200mb divx on the playstation, I am still hearing things in the soundtrack which I havent heard before, for video viewing, the dialog sounds so much clearer out of the I91's and there is a feeling of presence with these speakers which makes them so enjoyable to listen to.

I know over the next few weeks of listening they will open up even more with use so looking forward to what that brings. I have ordered some new CHT stereo RCA cables for the cdp=amp connection as my Belkin cables are a bit short and required a bit of re-arranging to make everything fit, so I will be interested to see how this impacts the sound once they arrive.

Thanks to everyone for their help, and here are some pics...

Drew

Attached Files

#23 Grumpy

Grumpy

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 10,581 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

G'day drew and thanks for your update. Can i suggest to you that the 'boominess' could be because you have the speakers too close to the rear wall. Only going by the pics, I would move them out to at least be level( in line) with your TV cabinet.
Just a suggestion.

#24 Aslan

Aslan

• Members
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

Well done Drew and a good choice. Can I echo Grumpy's senitments and suggest you play around A LOT with speaker positioning. Cheapest upgrade you will ever get once you nail the right position.

EDIT.............as a rough guide.......distance off back wall affects bass, distance off side wall affects soundstage and smearing and toe in will affect imaging the most.
Cheers, Andrew

#25 Batty

Batty

Confusion.... Will be my Epitaph

• Members
  • 5,880 posts
  • First Name:Steve

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

And so the fun begins...... Enjoy playing with and just playing through your new toys

#26 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

Thanks guys for some good suggestions, at the moment they are about a foot in front of the wall, i will move them forward a bit to be in line with the TV stand, that will bring them about 2ft from the wall.

Question, should the speakers be turned in (toe'd) to face the centre listening position as per the pictures or facing straight towards the back of the room? I sit about 2m directly in the centre of the two speakers on a couch - they are currently at perfect ear level...

Distance from the side walls is about 1.5m on one side and about 2.5 on the other and unfortunately thats not negotiable as thats how the rest of the room lines up - couches and so forth :)

Btw the boomyness in the midrange has almost gone away now (not sure if i mentioned that in the first post) that they have been played for several hours, it was just an initial thing when I first fired them up :)

Thanks for all the advice, interested in all the advice i can get :)

Drew

#27 mikizee

mikizee

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

Just try some experimentation as far as toe in is concerned to find what you like best. I know Philip Vafiadis prefers his speakers to be toed in to completely face you, whereas I prefer my VAFs to be toed in a little bit, but not completely facing me.

You should find more improvements with the speakers after 30-40 hours.

#28 Rural Rat

Rural Rat

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Drew,
My i91s respond dramatically to different placements. To the extent that my preference is totally unpalatable to the rest of the household. That is one of them sits in the middle of a doorway. I have found them even more critical as my sources have improved. Experiment mate, they dont weigh much. I just make sure everything is back in order before the hordes arrive home:).
Cheers
RR

#29 Vladimir Freddie

Vladimir Freddie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

Well done Drew and a good choice. Can I echo Grumpy's senitments and suggest you play around A LOT with speaker positioning. Cheapest upgrade you will ever get once you nail the right position.

EDIT.............as a rough guide.......distance off back wall affects bass, distance off side wall affects soundstage and smearing and toe in will affect imaging the most.

+1 totally agree with you there.

Sadly I still have to wait til the end of next week for VAF to ley me have my pair of I-91s!

Cheers

Cheers,

VF

March 2014: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers @ The Shedley.  April 2014: Adelaide Chamber Singers "Crystalline" @ St Peters Cathedral.

Best hi-fi purchases:

#30 Grumpy

Grumpy

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 10,581 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

+1 totally agree with you there.

Sadly I still have to wait til the end of next week for VAF to ley me have my pair of I-91s!

Cheers

Don't forget the pics when you get them

#31 Vladimir Freddie

Vladimir Freddie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

Don't forget the pics when you get them

Will do Grumpy. Can't wait :P

Cheers,

VF

Best hi-fi purchases:

#32 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

Vlad I will be interested to hear your feedback when you get your I91's...
I experimented a bit last night, i bought them forward to being about 1 foot from the rear wall, and they sounded alot better than when they were half a foot from the wall. I then bought them about 1.5 and then 2ft from the wall but they sounded best at about 1ft... they lost bass impact the further they went from the wall, i suppose being front ported means they can operate reasonably well near the wall..

My second experiment was to face them straight forward, lost a bit of the 'stereo image' so to speak doing this but it also tamed the mids and treble a bit... i settled on a position with about half the amount of toe-in that I originally had, one side of the front of the base of the stand is 50cm from the wall, the other is 55cm... They are sounding great, im sure that over the next few hours there will be more tweaking to be done as the speakers continue to 'run in' :P

Oh and as per what was said in an earlier post, im now starting to realise some of the deficiency in the Yamaha SW-800 sub, although its got a reasonably good amount of power, the bass doesn't feel as 'refined' as the I91's.... hmmm

Thanks for your comments and help everyone...

Drew

#33 Vladimir Freddie

Vladimir Freddie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

Vlad I will be interested to hear your feedback when you get your I91's...
I experimented a bit last night, i bought them forward to being about 1 foot from the rear wall, and they sounded alot better than when they were half a foot from the wall. I then bought them about 1.5 and then 2ft from the wall but they sounded best at about 1ft... they lost bass impact the further they went from the wall, i suppose being front ported means they can operate reasonably well near the wall..

My second experiment was to face them straight forward, lost a bit of the 'stereo image' so to speak doing this but it also tamed the mids and treble a bit... i settled on a position with about half the amount of toe-in that I originally had, one side of the front of the base of the stand is 50cm from the wall, the other is 55cm... They are sounding great, im sure that over the next few hours there will be more tweaking to be done as the speakers continue to 'run in' :)

Oh and as per what was said in an earlier post, im now starting to realise some of the deficiency in the Yamaha SW-800 sub, although its got a reasonably good amount of power, the bass doesn't feel as 'refined' as the I91's.... hmmm

Thanks for your comments and help everyone...

Drew

Hi Drew,

What works best for you is all that matters. You may well find that what you're happy with now changes over a week or so.

But I would try turning the sub off while trying to find the best position for them just to minimise variables - but this is just me!

When I move speakers I tend to leave them there for a week or so before changing them again. This way you get to hear them with a wide variety of music and get a more balanced picture of they are performing. Whenever I move speakers I tend to find the positives fairly quickly but after a while I find faults!! I am very fussy & have changed positioning & my seated position again after listening to some I-66s at vaf and this is after experimenting for 10 years in the current room!

A good rule of thumb is to have them at a different distances as possible from each wall. eg no multiples either & eg don't have them 50cm from one wall and 1m from another. I go a step further; my Duntechs bottom woofer is 65cm from the floor. So I have them 1m out from the front wall & 80cm from the side - so all are as different as possible as I can get in my room! The reason you want them different distances is that different room modes are excited so it tends to have a smoother response in the bass. As well as listening I also use a stereophile test CD & SPL meter & spreadsheet so I can graph it all. :P

Also where you sit makes a huge difference to the bass & imaging. Experiment with this if you can as well.

As for my where I put my I-91s I may not be too much help for you :P I will try them out the front, but I've bought mine for total overkill as rear channel speakers!!

Yes I may be totally insane!

Cheers
Dave

Edited by Vladimir Freddie, 28 May 2010 - 01:38 PM.
can't spell

Cheers,

VF

Best hi-fi purchases:

#34 Dadstoblame

Dadstoblame

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for an excellent report on your findings. I'm also in the market for a new pair of speakers and after listening to the VAF DC-X Gen4 MkII, I thought my decision was made, especially since the wife gave me the thumbs up too...:rolleyes: I was planning on audition a few more speakers just to confirm my decision.

However after reading this post, I'm not sure if I should even bother with the DC-X's anymore and go straight to the I-91's... Sounds like Drew and Vlad are very happy with theirs, so I will need to go an audition them now!! Thx, just another couple of hours lost time doing a gerat thing... I love it.:D
I will still go and audition the Diamonds 650 SE (hey Drew did you listen to the SE or just plain 650?, I believe there's suppose to be a big difference between the 2, not sure though) and a few more speakers.

I have discounted the following all due to different reasons and this is not in order of dislike.

B&W DM683 and 684
Krix Harmonix and Neuphonix (although I did like the Neuphonix, they had a lot of control, but they were just a little 'dull' for me)
Aaron ATS-5

If anyone thinks of any other recomendations they would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

#35 Vladimir Freddie

Vladimir Freddie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hi All,......................
I will still go and audition the Diamonds 650 SE (hey Drew did you listen to the SE or just plain 650?, I believe there's suppose to be a big difference between the 2, not sure though) and a few more speakers.

Cheers.

Yes I think the Sonique 650SE should definitely be on your audition list. They weren't on mine because my lovely wife didn't want floorstanders at the rear of the room. If always kicked myself for trading-in my Sonique 6.5s several years ago when I bought the Duntechs - if only I'd kept them to use as rears for later on!!

Also as the the 650SE are floor-standers you'll be saving the costs of stands for the I-91s. But I haven't heard a Sonique speaker for several years (apart from my SAV-1 which are rears ATM) so I can't vouch for them - but auditioning them is a good idea.

BTW I haven't got my VAF I-91s yet - but I can't wait - should have them later this week

Cheers
Dave

Cheers,

VF

Best hi-fi purchases:

#36 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

Hi Dadstoblame,
I did listen to the 650SE edition, I really liked them but found they were lacking a bit in the bottom end for what I wanted. The VAF I91's with stands came in about 1 grand cheaper than the 650SE as well. I just found something was missing with the Sonique's.... they lacked a bit of re-enforcement which I was after...

What I love about the I91 is that the bass response is awesome for a stand mount... they have the clean high's that I love, defined midrange and great bass.... combined with the sub they are awesome...

#37 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

Hey RuralRat, I saw another thread about your I91's.... are you using Lovan Ballet stands for them? did you fill your stands with sand?

Drew

#38 Rural Rat

Rural Rat

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

Gday astormsau,
Yes I am using Lovan stands, dont know what model though sorry. 90 cm high if I recall correctly. Yes they are filled with sand. Made quite a change when I did it too.
Enjoying yours I hope.
Cheers
RR

#39 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

Going well, Yes I use the same height and design stands. I filled them with sand last week and found it made quite a positive difference. These speakers just keep getting better...

What sort of amplification do you run with your I91's?

#40 Rural Rat

Rural Rat

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

Going well, Yes I use the same height and design stands. I filled them with sand last week and found it made quite a positive difference. These speakers just keep getting better...

What sort of amplification do you run with your I91's?

Nothing too fancy. CA640. On rare occasions I crave more grunt but that will have to wait for a while.

#41 Dadstoblame

Dadstoblame

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:49 PM

Hi Rural,

Holly molly you are a rural! In SA... LOL.. TRX 850 Nice bike (why did Yam stop making them!), Triumph even better...... Mine ZZR 250, CBR 600F, VTR 1000F...

I liked the efoort you go to, to get your sound stage right... And make sure you fix it before the hordes get home.. Too funny.
Just starting:- A/V:- Rotel RSX-1055, CD & DVD:- Rotel RDV-1060,Main:- Richter Wizards MkII, Centre:- Richter Unicorn, Sub woofer:- Aaron Sub 240, Rear speakers:- SubSonic XR-1,
Dads To Blame:- Yamaha NS-1000M, Mitsubishi DA-A15, Mitsubishi DA-P10 Linn Sondek LP12, Phillips Top Notch CD player from late 80's.

#42 astormsau

astormsau

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

Dadstoblame, let us know once you have checked out the I91's, I will be interested to hear your impressions esp compared to the Diamond 650 as the I91, DC-X and Diamond 650's were my contenders...

#43 Rural Rat

Rural Rat

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hi Rural,

Holly molly you are a rural! In SA... LOL.. TRX 850 Nice bike (why did Yam stop making them!), Triumph even better...... Mine ZZR 250, CBR 600F, VTR 1000F...

I liked the efoort you go to, to get your sound stage right... And make sure you fix it before the hordes get home.. Too funny.

Gday Dadstoblame,
Regards the bikes,
TRiXies are really nice. This is my second one, as to why Yamaha still dont do something similar I have no idea. I have had many a long conversation with my dealer and local distributor about this. About a month ago I quizzed them about the possiblility of using the new Super Tenere engine in a TRX style roadie. 1200cc fuel injected twin based on the current TDM900 engine. Nothing on the horizon apparently. Also race a KTM 200EXC and one day hopefully restore my old KDX200 back to its former glory.

Back on topic. I do like to try to get the most I can out of the audio gear I own hence the soundstage efforts. Refer http://www.stereo.ne...3-Some-new-toys for findings once I replaced my CDP.

Cheers
RR

#44 lebowski

lebowski

The Dude abides

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

Gday Dadstoblame,
Regards the bikes,
TRiXies are really nice. This is my second one, as to why Yamaha still dont do something similar I have no idea. I have had many a long conversation with my dealer and local distributor about this. About a month ago I quizzed them about the possiblility of using the new Super Tenere engine in a TRX style roadie. 1200cc fuel injected twin based on the current TDM900 engine. Nothing on the horizon apparently. Also race a KTM 200EXC and one day hopefully restore my old KDX200 back to its former glory.

Back on topic. I do like to try to get the most I can out of the audio gear I own hence the soundstage efforts. Refer http://www.stereo.ne...3-Some-new-toys for findings once I replaced my CDP.

Cheers
RR

I've had a couple of KDX200's, the last one I did up to BTX Race specs and it was super quick for a 200. I raced it in Open Class Enduro at Club level against 600's, it was a competitive bike and virtually indestructable. I also raced a few converted MX'ers but always preferred the KDX as it just did everything so well. I've owned a few road bikes and ridden a mates TRX850 and loved it, in fact I almost bought one.
the Dude abides

#45 Rural Rat

Rural Rat

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

I've had a couple of KDX200's, the last one I did up to BTX Race specs and it was super quick for a 200. I raced it in Open Class Enduro at Club level against 600's, it was a competitive bike and virtually indestructable. I also raced a few converted MX'ers but always preferred the KDX as it just did everything so well. I've owned a few road bikes and ridden a mates TRX850 and loved it, in fact I almost bought one.

Sorry getting off topic again. My existing KDX is an '86, bought it to do the 4 day in '86 then flog it off (hmm, that plan went astray somewhere). I also own an '84. The one I have now I won a state title on so it has since been a plan to restore and keep but it is in very bad shape...one day.