Roger Sanders Interview on Dagogo

• Volunteer

I am a big fan of Roger Sander's products - I own one of his magtech amps.

I am also a big fan of his clear, no nonsense approach.

There is a very interesting interview with him here

Warning, it's long and probably iconoclastic in parts but I think it's a very worthwhile read

• Volunteer

No one waded through it yet? Fair enough, I'll post a snippet that I think is very interesting.

It is necessary to use electronic/active crossovers to achieve the best from any speaker system. I continue to be amazed by all the speakers on the market with passive crossovers that claim to be "reference" quality or SOTA systems. The truth is that electronic/active crossovers and multiamplifier systems are superior to any passive crossover system. All speakers will be improved with the proper use of electronic/active crossovers. So any speaker that uses passive crossovers simply cannot be considered the finest available. I am unwilling to compromise and so do not use passive crossovers in any of my current speakers.

There are many diverse types of electronic/active crossovers with many different features. Also, both analog and digital electronic crossovers now are available. I consider digital crossovers to be one of the greatest advances in modern audio. They offer features that I have wanted crossovers to have for years, but which were unavailable.

Warning, it's long and probably iconoclastic in parts but I think it's a very worthwhile read

Ditto.

I found that I agreed with almost everything that he had to say, including the sections on objective testing and subjective listening, clipping, integration, digital Xovers, planar speakers ... well all of it really.

Interested readers should read his 'white' papers too.

I only flicked through the interview section (I'll read it over the weekend)

It lead me to his site and there was a new pre amp http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/products/preamplifier.

And then found; World Premiere! Roger Sanders Preamplifier "Resolving micro detail from a music and painting it beyond the outer edges." Review By Ron Nagle.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0212/roger_sanders_preamplifier.htm

And by coincidence I was driving down the coast yesterday so popped in to say hi at Mcleans.

And I was welcomed into the listening room where the pre amp was playing !

Howz that for coincidence ! B)

I always thought that Sanders amplifier design theory stood out from the pack. Im not sure whether it would be better or worse, but certainly different and I would love to try one in my own system. What amps did you go through before settling on the magtech Whatmore?

I always thought that Sanders amplifier design theory stood out from the pack. Im not sure whether it would be better or worse, but certainly different and I would love to try one in my own system. What amps did you go through before settling on the magtech Whatmore?

I'm not Whatmore but ...

I went through

ME75 (120W) x 1

Musical Fidelity A5cr (250W) x 1

Parasound Halo A21 (250W) x 2 for bi-amping

Sanders Magtech (500W) x 2 for bi-amping

I sampled a PLINIUS (but not with other familiar gear in the chain)

Quad 909 with some of my current gear

Parasound Halo A21

synergy in the chain I'd regard as equally important. I'm using mine as a straight stereo amp.

Ohh, I'm not Whatmore either...

• Volunteer

I tried:

Sonus Faber Musica

McIntosh MA2275

Weston Tranquility

Wyred for Sound integrated (500w)

Simaudio Moon i3-3

ASR Emitter 1 (not in my system, but I heard it driving my speakers when I auditioned them at Pure Music Group, superb amp)

And I heard a couple of other after I'd bought the magtech (Leben, Weston 300B)

I was after a very transparent amp. The Magtech at 500w is probably more powerful than I need for my speakers (97dB Zingalis) but I wanted an amp that I could be confident would drive any speaker well. I'm quite confident that no matter what upgrades I may make in the rest of my system, the amp will be a stayer

• 4 weeks later...

Im suprised so many people in Australia have an 'internet direct' sold USA amp. Usually this is difficult to do but the Magtech has a universal power supply for 110/230v correct? No need for a seperate 230v model.

The white paper shows Sanders doing something very unique on the power supply. Its a true 500w muscle amp, but is so stable it has no output protection stage, and runs cool to touch. Amazing.

Snip

the Magtech has a universal power supply for 110/230v correct? No need for a seperate 230v model.

Snip

There is a switch on the back for 240V.

The amps can be bought retail in Australia if you don't want to do the internet purchase trick. Mcleans at East Gosford import and retail them.

• 1 year later...
  • Volunteer

My favourite quote: "No, I am not an audiophile.  I am a concert musician, scientist, and engineer."  ^_^