Suggestions for best T.V's under $3000

it seems there is about 10 times more regional NBN already done compared to city

The crazy thing is I had a solid 16-17 Mb/s via ADSL before I got the NBN and some people in big "southern" cities can't even get close to that.

theres no nbn where I am in suburban melbourne. and no indication when or ever it might come. its been the same for years….

At my place I can get Telstra cable with 33mbps and moving a few kilometres down to my sister's place they are lucky to get 1mpbs performance out of their ADSL connection.  And I don't know when I will be getting NBN in my area but I can opt for 100mbps fast cable option that should be sufficient for 4k streaming. 

What about compression @@betty boop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will need heaps to stream. 18Gbps is already requiring compression for UHD blu-ray. just like "HD" streaming doesnt compare to blu-ray. I suspect 4K streaming won't compare to UHD blu-ray. we already have some 4K streams not comparing to blu-ray refer the interstellar comparisons done suing various stream formats. 

Hmm. Either way, I admit I'm pretty impressed by my TV. The up scaling is very effective, and as native 4K blu Rays come out, I'm sure it'll really be out to the test. I admit I don't watch much TV at all (under 2hrs per week) but when I watch a movie, maybe once a fortnight, I'd like to be floored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4k isnt the best feature (i have the same TV as Cheruk). Its the killer OS and apps. Now have all of the content apps built right into the TV. Google play, netflix, plex and all of the FTA TV catchup apps are all built into the TV. The gui is very slick and works very very well. If want to watch a latest release i dont even have to type in my password, just search and click. Streamed content is perfect PQ and if you play console games you now play multi player in full screen instead of split screen. 

Voice Search in a Siri like way searches all of the content in all of the apps and presents quickly and easily. I could go on and on.

the salesmen at harvey norman said that 8k will be in the shops next year

Much like people who buy pono and tidal, there will always be a market to sell TVs based on higher res and it wont give the user any appreciable benefit - but he will be able to post on all of the forums how 'hi res' it is and how, if you dim the lights in a low wind and on a still night it'll blow your hair back :)

Much like people who buy pono and tidal, there will always be a market to sell TVs based on higher res and it wont give the user any appreciable benefit - but he will be able to post on all of the forums how 'hi res' it is and how, if you dim the lights in a low wind and on a still night it'll blow your hair back :)

Although I no longer subscribe because of the horrible lag, I disagree about Tidal. It was an obvious jump in sound quality going from Spotify to Tidal which gave me hours of enjoyment when it actually wanted to work properly. There were also artist on that streaming platform that you couldn't listen to elsewhere.

• Like 1

Although I no longer subscribe because of the horrible lag, I disagree about Tidal. It was an obvious jump in sound quality going from Spotify to Tidal which gave me hours of enjoyment when it actually wanted to work properly. There were also artist on that streaming platform that you couldn't listen to elsewhere.

I wasnt trying to be literal...i think HD to 4k is a bit like CD to HiRes Tracks. he difference is simply imperceptible under most every day circumstances unless you try very hard to perceive it. 

• Like 1

I wasnt trying to be literal...i think HD to 4k is a bit like CD to HiRes Tracks. he difference is simply imperceptible under most every day circumstances unless you try very hard to perceive it.

I agree. I'm much more interested in OLED and HDR than 4k which I can't do anything with until NBN and UHD blu ray arrive.

100 mbps ? the requirement for 4K UHD is upto 18 GBps !!!! 

No,  the requirement for 4K video streaming is around 20mbps in other word the standard cable connection from both Telstra and Optus is more than enough as it is quite easy to achieve 33mbps.   The main problem is that a lot of our connections are ADSL 2+/ ADSL,   I know my brother in law is only getting 1mbps with his ADSL connection.   My ADSL2+ connection is about 2km from the nearest exchange point and I am able to get 8mbps as oppose to the max speed of 24mbps.   As I see it you will need cable or NBN to stream 4K UHD content. 

100mbps is about as good as you can get on the nbn anyway isnt it?

unless you really want to fork out some dollars

No, it is not.  Almost 3 years ago I spoke to a friend who had NBN installed at his place around south morang area and he was expecting to get a bandwidth upgrade to 1Gbps at the end of 2013.