Benefits of aftermarket power cable

Hi to all sna members!

I'm relatively new to hifi scene, so please don't shoot me if this topic has already been covered😠I've recently purchased a rotel cd, pre and power... I'm wanting to do some upgrades to further improve the sound, I've read that upgrading to aftermarket power cables are one of the most common upgrades. Before I go out and blow my pay check I just wanted know from members what gains they had from changing out the cables?

Buy some and try them for yourself because there are 2 camps here.

1 After market cables are a complete and utter waste of money and are basically snake oil and smoke and mirrors

2 After market cables are a worthwhile investment that improve your system

You decide

• Like 1

I like the placebo effect of a big fat arse chunky power cable coming out of the back of my gear... it just looks good: does it have an affect on the SQ? Not that I can tell, but it looks like it does.

• Like 3

@@Luc so your and my vote is for camp 1 SNAKE OIL

HUI do you have to open the case to rewire or do you have a "kettle cord" plug at rear of amp?

If NO kettle cord let the whole idea drop.

If you have a kettle cord connect shop here on sna for a sub $100 power cord

Then sell it on for about the same price when/if you can't heard a difference

• Like 5

Thanks for input guys... I've paired my rig with klipsch reference speakers which were originally from my ht setup, I'm finding it too bright/harsh for my liking, so far I've experimented with different cables and managed to find a combo to tone it down a notch but still not entirely happy. So I'm contemplating on whether power cables would make a difference or save my money n upgrade speakers what do u's think?

The new and improved power cables won't make up for any tonal deficiencies in your system and it seems in your situation that a speaker upgrade will give an exponentially greater improvment.

..........................however, despite the self centred utterances of some who automatically assign the snake oil label to any product they personally don't find useful, I have found that sensibly priced but better-than-stock power cables can be effective in some circumstances, on on certain components, particularly on up stream components like CD players or pre amplifiers, where there are often definite benefits to be realised. As always this is system dependent.

I would think that in your Rotel set up, a decent power cable on the CD and pre amplifier could give a better result than kettle cords.

I am not talking about ridiculously priced cables here, but there are several under or around $200, that are well worth the investment, but I would advise trying them out in your system prior to purchase. There are a few reputable members here who make good cables and offer a trial facility and not one of them sells any snake oil.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

Depending on your room, you may have more of an effect with heavy curtains, more soft furnishings, rugs etc to help tame the speakers a bit more.

If it is a hard floor, throw some dooners down on it between you and the speakers to see if it helps as a test.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 2

I am one of the guys that think cables make a difference. Best commercial advice I have read was on the Morrow Cable website where they advise to upgrade in the following sequence: Interconnects, then speaker cables and then power cables. The website has been revamped and there is lot of info there. Remember they are sellers, but they do provide a money back guarantee.

Best person that I have spoken to was Cameron from Krispy Kables.

There are many posts here re cables.

There are many variables in each system, and I think many of us should spend more money on our rooms rather than the equipment, myself included.

Cables are easy to mail and there is a good secondhand market so not that hard to try.

By rights a power cable shouldn't make a difference.... :D

The audio signal doesn't even travel down the incoming mains line.... :P

Yet power makes a lot of difference.

As you know it is fed to the components in the signal; path.

Yet power makes a lot of difference.

As you know it is fed to the components in the signal; path.

230-240 regardless what you get, arrives at the mains to your component, most components including power amps will have a step down transformer with 2 isolated windings, 1: for the AC mains and 2: secondary step down that has less winding. The windings act as a low pass filter, and at the step down is usually a full wave bridge rectifier followed by a bank of electrolytic cap filtration that act as a DC supply. You're signal then fluctuate(control) that PSU on the secondary to forward that onto the downstream of the chain, so where and how does the signal get effected by the mains on the primary? Just food for thought from ZBs perspective.....:D

• Like 3

Gotta love this continued arguement and the way the origonal question is always forgotten in this heated debate!!

Huitung.. Always I repeat always, in Hifi, let your EARS do the deciding.  With any decision, ideally borrow some gear... if you love the sound and can afford it buy it!!!  On these forums there are far too many people full of different ideas that you won't find helpful!! :)

• Like 1

Objective fact is that cables make no difference whatsoever (outside absolutely absurd fringe cases like running thousands of feet of cable or running cables through the core of a nuclear power plant).

Subjective opinion is anything any random person believes for any reason.

Ironically in most audio forums it's usually the more objective people who are mocked for being irrational. The reality is, there is absolutely no science or fact supporting the notion of fancy cables (ANY fancy cables, interconnect, power, speaker, etc) resulting in audible improvement (outside absurd fringe cases I mentioned earlier), but massive chunky silver plated shiny glowing fluorescent cables built from moon stones and meteor dust LOOK like they should be better than $5 cables from Jaycar therefore psychologically you may BELIEVE they sound better, much like some people genuinely believe in unicorns or fairies despite the absence of evidence.

The question really boils down to, are you happy to pay real money for a product when there is a 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% chance any improvement you perceive is purely placebo? Would you be happier spending real money buying your imaginary friend an imaginary car? If the answer is yes, you would be happy, then go for it. What counts is what makes you happy.

• Like 2

Guest Eggcup The Daft

I think that the question to ask here, is "what can an aftermarket power cable achieve?"

Well, it can improve the power connection to the audio components - or maybe not.

If you think about it, the AC power that we want is itself a waveform signal that should resemble a sinewave, switch at the correct frequency as it is an AC signal, and should be free of noise. There's no magic here, just as with most other things audio.

So, when I saw this question, it reminded me to go back to searching the Internet for measurements of audio power cables. After all, they only have one way of working, by putting a purer (or at least, markedly different) AC signal into our components than we would get with the proverbial kettle lead.

What measurements? I cannot find a manufacturer prepared to put measurements to their products. There are lots of sciency looking claims and percentage figures, but nothing that actually demonstrates that the output is really better. I can't find an independent source that has done it either.

So, as I don't own any suitable measuring equipment, let's put it out there to those who might. Has anyone produced, or can anyone produce, solid evidence that an "audiophile" power lead actually puts out better AC at the component end of the cable than a cheapo cable?

Edited by Eggcup The Daft

@@huiktung

You say you want to improve the sound, what do you believe your current system lacks that you are trying to improve? (yes I know the sound, but what specifically, bottom end, top end, detail etc ? )

Also, what would be your budget for power cables if you were to purchase them ?

Edited by 322

Could do with more bass/mid bass, Instruments are very detailed which I like but vocals I find it too harsh. Especially with female vocals.

I'm happy to spend a few hundred dollars on it but I think my problem lies within the speakers it self. not wanting to spend more money on new speakers I just wanted to see what difference a aftermarket cable could do for me.

Upgade your Speakers and possibly components first. Once you get quality equipment then get a good quality Power Conditioner then you will get the benefits of quality audiophile Power Cables. If the rest of your equipment is up to it you will get a significant improvement with good quality Power Cables.

What model's are your Rotel's?

• Like 1

Hi huiktung,

initforthemusic is right.

It sounds to me like the SQ issues you are describing are speaker related and cannot be solved simply by adding an aftermarket AC cable.

Concentrate on getting the big, important stuff right first.

IMHO AC cords can make a small difference...........I like to think of them as a great way to micro fine tune an already good system.

I/C's and speaker cable will always have a greater affect on SQ but.........

I reckon experimentation with AC cables can still have the potential to improve ANY decent (or better) system.

FWIW I use DIY Belden 83803 and 19364.

Good Luck

Cheers

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

So sorry to see the naysayers are at it again.

Anyway I do believe power cables can make a difference.

However it is most likely the Rotels and speaker combination and other issues at play here.

If the room is not bright I would play around with IC's and speaker cables.

If that does not work either the amps or speakers have to go - sorry.

In this instance I don't think a power cable