Audiophile Power Cables...... Any Value in them ?

I was thinking of making my own, just by plaiting the 3 conductors.

That was one action recommended in Allen Wright's "Super Cable Cook Book".  You can get the wire from domestic in-wall cable lengths

But if I was going to that trouble, I would use 30a or 40a wires rather than 20a wires.

Andy

I would argue that the component draws in it's supply inferring that the power cable is the first part of the supply chain rather than being the last and it does so in the noisiest part of the environment ie being in a domestic situation dealing with a multitude of devices hell bent on injecting contamination back into the mains. Whether through shielding, platting, filtration or other forms of minimising noise into a components power supply, power supply cabling can make a worthwhile reduction in the noise floor level of an audio system. Until you hear a system where this has been addressed successfully then you really don't know what was there all along and now isn't. YMMV of course and of course I'm biased as I have a vested interest in the issue.

Edited by guru

A lot of emotions :)

Couple of things......

@@andyr you want to do a comparison between a well constructed cable (I have no arguments about the quality of a Satellite cable rated for 1000V :D ) and the thinnest wire available for electricity. While that will definitely show measurable results, I'm referring to the quality of standard power cables that are supplied with the Hi-Fi equipment. I'd like to think that they give decent power cables with the products for the money we pay.  So considering those, will there truly be a noticeable difference ?

@@guru & @@frankn taking your opinion I'm thinking I can get a single well made power extension chord and plug all my gear into that.

@@Sparkle what was the specialty in the construction of the cables you tried ? I can agree that a well shielded cable is worthy of its price but what is there in that cable for it to be so expensive ?

And at the end of it all.... It begs the question "Is the improvement (whatever it maybe) really worth the price you paid" ?

http://www.thoroughbredaudio.com/SHIELDED/

That looks good enough to be a proper Audiophile grade cable don't you think ? So in the end I'm thinking of getting a good 5m length of cable like this (rated for higher voltage and amps of course) and fix it to a well made power extension board and use the standard cables from the extension board to the equipment...  :rolleyes:

Edited by Panduka85

A lot of emotions :)

Couple of things......

@@andyr you want to do a comparison between a well constructed cable (I have no arguments about the quality of a Satellite cable rated for 1000V :D ) and the thinnest wire available for electricity. While that will definitely show measurable results, I'm referring to the quality of standard power cables that are supplied with the Hi-Fi equipment. I'd like to think that they give decent power cables with the products for the money we pay.  So considering those, will there truly be a noticeable difference ?

@@guru taking your opinion I'm thinking I can get a single well made power extension chord and plug all my gear into that.

@@Sparkle what was the specialty in the construction of the cables you tried ? I can agree that a well shielded cable is worthy of its price but what is there in that cable for it to be so expensive ?

And at the end of it all.... It begs the question "Is the improvement (whatever it maybe) really worth the price you paid" ?

http://www.thoroughbredaudio.com/SHIELDED/

That looks good enough to be a proper Audiophile grade cable don't you think ? So in the end I'm thinking of getting a good 5m length of cable like this (rated for higher voltage and amps of course) and fix it to a well made power extension board and use the standard cables from the extension board to the equipment...  :rolleyes:

Mmmm, while my opinion of Thoroughbred gear (based on what other people have experienced) is positive, I notice that the specs say "1mm2 conductor area".  If you want to load everything onto this one power cable (having an extension board on the end of it) ... why wouldn't you go for 4mm2 (32a) cable instead?

Andy

I'd suggest that the ISOTEK Polaris power distribution board should be reviewed - the SNA commercial contacts / @@jimsan / Tivoli HiFi were previously willing to ship these for audition.  Mate it with a Audio Principe (Peter Graves) Signature power chord and you should be okay.

• Like 1

Like almost everything in this hobby, if you can hear it, you're probably suffering from the placebo effect.

Yes...Led Zeppelin never recorded anything......It's all in our heads :lol:

Like almost everything in this hobby, if you can hear it, you're probably suffering from the placebo effect.

So you would say the "placebo effect" is in operation if you can hear the difference between, say, a Dick Smith branded-CDP for $100 and the top-of-the-line Luxman CDP costing, what ... 50 or 60 times as much?

Andy

• Like 1

So you would say the "placebo effect" is in operation if you can hear the difference between, say, a Dick Smith branded-CDP for $100 and the top-of-the-line Luxman CDP costing, what ... 50 or 60 times as much?

Andy

Could be true?

But our egos won't let us own "$100 Dick Smith CDP's" :P

Willco

• Like 3

Andy

DS still sell CDPs?

That will piss off their shareholders.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

Im pretty sure they sell other gadgets. Just no audio components other than some generic all in one stuff.

I stand corrected, but I'm not one  for all those gadgets...so didn't really take note of what they had much.

I did notice what they didn't have though ;)

I stand corrected, but I'm not one for all those gadgets...so didn't really take note of what they had much.

I did notice what they didn't have though ;)

They have power cables though. Surprise! :D

They have power cables though. Surprise! :D

Yeah, 3 buck ones from China for about 15 bucks!

Edit: maybe it was 12 or 13 bucks, but I recall complaining about the price, the guy behind the counter just smiled and nodded in agreement :lol:

Edited by ortofun

To answer a previous Question about the construction of expensive cable.. I have no idea!  If I did I would be making them myself and selling them!! :) 

. If you want to test the theory of whether better cable makes a difference... Get a standard power cord, put a length of copper wire along side of it and stick the power plug end ofthe copper wire  into the Earth connection only of another plug.. Wrap it in al foil. Plug both plugs into a double adapter and into the power socket... Now you all owe me a dollar for improving your sound. ;) . Why does this work? Don't know... Just one of the many things on this planet that few people understand! 

• Like 1

@ before you buy any cables, I would suggest doing some cable management, making sure your IC's and SC's are separated from the power cables.

Once all is tidy and if you wanted to go further, you could try an Isotek Evo 3 Polaris power strip.

If there is no improvement in SQ, then you will offload it very quickly in the classifieds and simply buy a good one from...

...@@Zaphod Beeblebrox what is the mob who make the good sturdy power boards?

Honestly, I would then leave it at that. Just my 2c.

if you wanted to go further, off you go and let us know your experiences! :)

• Like 2