200 Hz v 100 Hz TVs

What is the difference between 200 and 100 Hz TVs? Is there any visible difference?....do 200 Hz TVs have a superior picture?

Looking for a new 60" TV and just wondering if the price difference is worth it.

Guest thathifiguy

The whole hertz thing is more of a marketing gimmick than real benefit.

It was initially flogged as a means of compensating for the slower response time in LCD panels in comparison to plasmas. The irony is that increasing the frame rate did little to reduce motion blurring as the flaw was more to do with the LCD panel itself and little to do with frame rate.

200hz was initially released at a time when every brand was out to impress with the biggest numbers. Initially it was contrast ratio, but suddenly whomever had the highest hertz rate was the one that sold the most panels.

Unlike older hertz tech which basically took frame A, frame B and created frame A+B, the more modern processing takes frame A, frame B creates frame A+B with black frames inserted in between. i.e. A - BF - A+B - BF - B - BF - A

This method comes across as being more natural rather than having the 'handycam effect'.

The problem is with the marketing. There is no standard by which it is measured and thus you can get brands that make ludicrous claims.

The short answer to your question is no. Though you'll generally find that manufacturers do more to improve image quality the further up the chain you go, whether you use all the additional crap they throw in or not, including but not limited to 200hz.

Edited by Tarxman82

I have a TV that does something like that and sometimes I like it, but mostly turn it off as I don't like the look. I like it best playing Bluray movies at 24p

I would also bear in mind what you watch most, if it is sports you might find it is useful, if you watch movies maybe not, or perhaps the other way around.

Is it tech or is it marketing and only you can say if it is better.

Buy with your eyes.

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have 3 2014 800/700B series Sony TV's, all are 50hz and I only watch Blue-Ray/Apple TV and free to air.

Never had an issue with anyone them only being 50hz. And to "me" being 50hz and have no circuitry involved in making them 100-200hz, they look more natural, not digital looking like I've seen some look.