I've already reviewed the Ragnarok in my "Addicts Guide" thread but it made such a positive impression on me that I thought it deserved a thread all of its own.  I'll cut and paste the review and the contents of a few following posts to make this first post a summary of the Ragnarok experience and then I'll continue with my cable and preamp experimentation here.

Schiit Ragnarok.

post-130663-0-37476100-1420507774_thumb.

I’ve wanted to try something by Schiit for a while now but...well… I didn’t really need another DAC or pre and I don’t own a decent set of headphones, so it didn’t happen.  Until Schiit decided to manufacture an integrated amp (the loyalists seem to view it as a headphone amp that just happens to be so powerful it can run a pair of speakers, but to me it looks a lot like an integrated amp) now we were talking!

The first thing I noticed was that the amp runs slightly hotter than your average pie warmer, not only should it not be placed in an enclosed cabinet I wouldn’t even place it under a shelf.  However, if placed on a surface with plenty of space above and around it then it does seem to be pretty happy with running hot (in other words my custom cooling fan is not actually required). 

The second thing I noticed was that its gain settings are slightly lower than I am used to, 9 o’clock on the volume dial on most amps will require the Ragnarok to be turned to between 12 and 1 o’clock.  It isn’t really a big thing, but it is something you will definitely notice.

On the specs front we have 5 inputs, 2 balanced and 3 RCA and one of each for the preamp output stage.  60wpc into 8 Ohms should drive 98% of speakers so no great concerns there (and I’ve found 3 separate cases on the web where testers have used the Ragnarok to power KEF LS50s, they require serious current, so this figure may well be on the low side of the actual number of watts on tap), nicely done Schiit.  I also notice that Schiit do not list an input impedance for the Ragnarok, odd, but again, no big thing.

I was using my Consonance cd120 as a source, feeding into the Ragnarok via Aurealis R1 interconnects and then into my Lenehan/ETI S2R speakers via Redgum  speaker cables. 

Highs: Trumpets are nice and raspy without being hard or harsh, triangles and piano twinkle gloriously and delicately, cymbals and brushes are very crisp but not harsh.  One of the best top ends I have yet heard on an integrated amp.  9.0

Mids:  Clean, clear, uncluttered and beautiful to behold.  Every instrument feels like it is happy to play its part and is given its own space to do so.  Acoustic hang time feels very natural.  It is just fun to listen to!  8.5

Bass:  Very well behaved, articulate and defers to the mids and highs as required.  Also clean and smooth with nice detail.  8.0

Vocals: 

Female:  9.0  The most natural and pleasantly real vocals I have heard from an integrated amp.    

Male:  9.0  Personally I’d rather be listening to the ladies than the guys but the Ragnarok makes not such distinctions.  The vocals are given an ever so slight preference over the instruments, the vocals floated just slightly above the centre of my system and none of the instruments was allowed to get too close to them.  The effect was very much like placing the singer out in front and then wrapping the band around them in a semi-circle.  It was a very convincing effect.

2D Soundstaging:  9.0  The instrument separation also extends to stereo effects and placement within the soundstage.   None of the instruments feel like they are locked into place it just feels like they are floating very still. 

Overall Performance Integration: 

Brilliant clarity and a good sense of rhythm combine with the soundstaging, the vocals, the imaging and the clear top end to present the impression that this amp not only knows how to spell words like “enunciationâ€, “iambic pentameter†and “spatial differentiation†it also understands what they mean and why they are important.  This is one piece of audio componentry that has been put through a very prestigious finishing school.  9.0

Ability to Emote: 

Once you start to listen it’s got you, you can stop listening if you want to, but why would you do that?  8.0  (as a minimum, it rates higher once the ladies start to sing)

Electric Guitar Test:

8.0  It’s good, don’t get me wrong it is very good, but it needs the soul of a rebel to do any better than this and it is too refined to be that rebellious.

80’s Rock Test:

8.0  Again, it’s very good but it’s calm and collected enough that it won’t go above an eight. 

The Ragnarok has impressed me greatly, it is a very detailed amp without a single trace of harshness to its sound.  The vocals are clean, natural and a joy to listen to and instruments are very true to life without being fatiguing. 

Could I live with the Ragnarok long term?  Hell yes!  

I've also been playing about with the Ragnarok as a preamp.  I had a session with it feeding the ME580 last night and it was pretty good, more prominent bass (of course!) and a top end that didn't seem to lose anything at all but the vocals just didn't retain their magic and the more prominent bass got in the way (if only slightly) of the mid and upper treble.  I swapped ICs between the Rag and the 580 from Aurealis to Furutech Alphas and got some more breath into the vocals and a little more mid range flesh but I didn't like the effect on the bass or the slight softening of the top end.  All in all it was not a bad combo but not as well put together as the Ragnarok on its lonesome, the boys at Schiit did a very good job of matching the pre and power stages on this puppy.

I've also got the Exposure Classic 28/Ragnarok to try.

The Exposure/Schiit combo is very interesting, reminds me of a more refined Sansui 5900 in many ways.  It's got that velvety exposure warmth and more breath to the vocals but the instrument separation just isn't there.  It loses some detail and the delicate frequency balance is thrown out too,  even so, it is quite more-ish!  Sounds a little too much like vinyl to me, but I'm sure some would like it.

One thing I have definitely noticed is that the volume dial position is only slightly above where I expect it to be when the Ragnarok is used as a preamp so it seems the power amp section of the Rag' has slightly lower gain than most.  As I've said before it isn't really an issue but it is something that is easily noticed.

I'm running the Ragnarok with my Halcro DM38 right now and the results are astounding, I'll get to the details later but for now let's just go with astounding.  I've found this combo to be quite cable sensitive so it is taking some time to fine tune.

I've yet to get to the Burson Timekeepers, but I will.  Then I'll have to try some different sources too.

• Like 4

As per usual @@Cafad this is a superbly written and expressed review. I can tell you are smitten and I must admit this had flown well under my radar so it was/is really good to read about it.

I am assuming that this will be a keeper for you ? It would seem that way

Love your work and I hope it continues to incite your already expressed emotions. :thumb::)

Edited by rantan

Thanks rantan, I do like the Ragnarok and it will be staying with me for as long as is possible.  I did plan to send it out for a second and maybe a third opinion but I think I'll put those plans on indefinite hold as I really don't want to part with it.  Maybe in a month or two (or maybe three or four).

post-130663-0-12650100-1420772456_thumb.

I've been loving this Schiit/Halcro combo.  You don't get the same level of detail retrieval through the Ragnarok as you do through the Halcro DM8 but that is to be expected considering the price disparity.  (If I was listening purely to instrumentals I'd be listening with the DM8.)  What you do get is a smooth background and vocals that are the best I have heard.

I still have some cable and source swapping to do before I move on, I'm determined to squeeze every last drop of enjoyment/musical value out of this particular exercise.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally managed to move on from the Schiit/Halcro combo, I tried out the Burson Timekeepers and they sounded pretty good.... but they suffered greatly from the fact that I had just moved on from the Halcro ( I really need to remember not to skip steps like that).

I continued on with the Timekeepers for a few days and then moved back to the Ragnarok as an integrated, but it didn't sound quite right.  I played with cables again and settled on Ribbontek speaker cables and Aurealis R1 ICs but it while it was sounding great in the vocals it just didn't have the resolution in the instruments, in fact it was almost all of the instruments...  Oh... silly me... I'd been using the Halcro EC800 with the Schiit/Halcro combo but I'd moved back to the Consonance cd120 when I swapped for the Timekeepers.   And now I've found that the Ragnarok has me noticing a major difference between two cd players and not only that it has me preferring the Halcro whereas before (on all previous amps) I preferred the Consonance.  

Beware this amp guys, it can show you things about your system that you were previously unaware of.  I can't put the Consonance cd120 back in front of the Ragnarok now, it just sounds "rubbery and undetailed".

Makes you wonder just how good this upcoming Yggdrasil is going to be!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

just wow! nice review dude, been searching all over the place for a rag + speaker review. I guess this really is some pretty good schiit huh!?

Been a headphone guy thinking of getting into speakers, have been tossing between a dedicated power amp or this one.

Your reviews made me grow on this schiit even more. Well I guess now I know I can just get both! :thumb:

Edited by meraias

• 2 years later...

Thanks mate, and I'm glad you like the Rag.

Have you managed to compare the Yggy with any other DACs?  I'm curious as to how it performs, there are plenty of positive reviews of it out there but none that have really given me a feel on what it actually sounds like.

Prior to Yggy I was using NAD d1050. So I have not really been exposed to dac much but that was a big jump in SQ. Where the d1050 was a bit warm and lush, Yggy is pure clarity and details. It is at times startling to hear micro details from a good recording. Instruments separation is uncanny. Quality bass is another attribute. It is bass that is tight, taut and impactful. Soundstage is pleasantly wide and deep. In spite of the X-ray penetrating prowess at extracting the minutest details from a song, it never sound harsh or overly bright. I call it vibrant, dynamic and lively. At the same time, it sounds natural and dare I say, it gets close to a good vinyl setup. Now this last statement I can only verify after I got Rega Rp8 with Apheta moving coil cartridge and Avid Pellar phono preamp.

Yggdrasil is Mike Moffat's pride and joy whereas Ragnarok is Jason Stoddard's masterpiece. Despite the fact that they were created by 2 separate persons, there's great synergy with these 2 components together. As a pair, it is transparent, agile with good texture and fullness. Any combo that makes HD800 listenable and enjoyable must be something. However I like it best with Audeze LCD-2f and my latest ZMF Eikon and Atticus. 

Now with Yggy and Rggy driving my Axis LS28 small speakers, I've found a new love. However it's with Rega RP8 / Rggy and the LS28 that have me hooked, line and sinker.