djb's Boxing Day thread aka> Why aren't bookshelf speakers on bookshelves any more?

What do expensive speaker stands do that,not so expensive ones don't ?

PLUS

Show us your speaker stands and their ballast.

NOT ONLY BUT ALSO

Why can't they just sit on the book shelf like they were first designed to do?

Edited by djb

What do expensive speaker stands do that,not so expensive ones don't ?

Not a real lot actually , you could get DVP to knock you some up using the left-overs from his chopper build and easily compete against some of the overpriced stands available eg: TuneStands 

PLUS

Show us your speaker stands and their ballast.

Only monkey coffins here , real men don't invest in little girly speakers

Why can't they just sit on the book shelf like they were first designed to do?

Because books shelves are designed for books , fine china , skulls and family photos

@ unfortunately I have -friend with 2 pair tat he insists sit on a giant dresser because the first pair Rogers were sod to him as book shelf speakers

The Fostex open baffle single driver from their research division -only 10 pair allocated to Oz- would create amazing sound if they weren't on a book shelf

Edited by djb

@ unfortunately I have -friend with 2 pair tat he insists sit on a giant dresser because the first pair Rogers were sod to him as book shelf speakers

The Fostex open baffle single driver from their research division -only 10 pair allocated to Oz- would create amazing sound if they weren't on a book shelf

wouldnt that void the warranty ?

not used as they were designed ?

Feeding truffles to swine come to mind.

Back to the original question, they were originally designed or at least marketed to go on bookshelves. Stands used to be very uncommon.

This question is a poor excuse for a thread.

Bookcases are always full and there is never enough room for speakers.

Today's project: these are floor to ceiling in height, so there's no room for a speaker to fit upright

Arent all the bookshelves in Mrs TDDs room at your house?

Must agree completely with TDD and was waiting for someone to say it. This topic is definitely a poor excuse for a thread.

However........................in the spirit of the festive season and because I am otherwise not currently engaged in a compellingly competitive activity I would say that bookshelf speakers were never designed to be placed on bookshelves.

As is usual, the learned and wise Willow captured the Zeitgeist of the thread in post #13, which made amends for the good-natured-fishing expedition that characterised the original question :)

Surprisingly the thread has even evolved into a form of passable entertainment :):thumb:

Croweater baiting croweaters. He can be subtle at times can @@djb, throw it out there and see what comes in.

@ThirdDrawerDown   Is that a copy of Fowler's MEU ? 2nd shelf down about seven books in.

Croweater baiting croweaters. He can be subtle at times can @@djb, throw it out there and see what comes in.

@ThirdDrawerDown   Is that a copy of Fowler's MEU ? 2nd shelf down about seven books in.

Yes, yes, but the important thing is discussion of Willow's new female friend. She looks presentable but the more pressing issue is her choice of audio system and could use Willow's best advice for some improvements. ;)

I actually have that exact Marantz amp and tuner/tapedeck gathering  dust in the garage.  As for improvement, I'd guess she's a ipod girl.

Post a piccie of yourself in a stance similar to ipod girl or we don't believe you.