The Babadook

Anyone seen this? Not many of you i assume because its Australian.

I just rented this one on DVD. Well worth checking out. Funny how its always been out on rental and then suddenly its shunted to the weekly video section.

i had to turn it down at one point because they use full on low frequencies for that unsettling effect. David Lynch fims use low frequencies in a similar way. I only have a ten inch sealed sub but I kid you not, the windows and the ceiling were all rattling. It must have been the resonant frequency of my room.

Apart from needing to turn down the volume to avoid bothering teh neighbours the film was definitely of the superior horror genre. I could see some similarities to The Shining. Be warned, Its very much of the classic Australian school. At the end you think, "only an Australian film", or maybe a European fim might have a similar vibe.

Recommended if if you like your horror understated and psychological.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I just finished watching this movie and have to say that for the first time in many many years I had shivers going down my body. At one stage I had to stop it, and noticed I had both hands out wide gripping the sofa. Totally engrossing, genuinely scary, and highly suspenseful with an understated approach that kept you unsure what was real and what wasn't. Truly sensational acting by the two main (Australian) actors, and I can only hope that neither of them suffered any negative after effects.

What do you do after a movie like this to unwind? I may have to watch some thing like Borat and get myself a stiff drink or three.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not a bad chick flick, especially for late teens, I thought going to Tassie on the Ferry was scary enough :P:D   But im sorry, from all the reviews I was expecting this to scare the living crap out of me, it didnt! :ohmy::oops:

Great acting performances, but that was it......Didnt do it for my daughter either, but she exposed The Ring to herself without my permission when she was just 7!