Game of Thrones

Guest Peter the Greek

SPOILERS!

Select w/mouse to read.
Had a feeling it was all coming but still had a big impact. When inconsequential things like someone mentioning they need to go out for a piss happen in a show that can't normally dedicate such time to such small details something is going to happen... There were some bigger hints too.

• Like 1

There is more heartbreak in store. As someone who has read all the books so far, I've developed a deep-rooted hope that Martin will use the final two books to bring about retribution in a big, bad way. The reader/viewer endures so much hurt and pain along the journey, there just has to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

However, reading the following quote has me worried:

Interviewer: "Since Song of Ice and Fire so often subverts reader expectations and avoids traditional fantasy storytelling structures, should fans have any real hope that this tale will have a happy ending? 

Martin: "I’ve stated numerous times that I anticipate a bittersweet ending."

:(

Yes, some very funny reactions in the twitter feed. Hoping they are mostly Americans given the propensity to imply it was all HBO' s doing LOL.

That was an amazing ep. Just started reading the books so I don't get shocked like that ! My wife has retired for the night , she didn't say much as the credits rolled..stunned !

Guest Peter the Greek

. I remember very nearly throwing the book across the room in anger when I read that chapter! WHY!!???!

Pretty much how I felt on watching it. I'm so disappointed I didn't read the books......it's just that its the only good thing on tv at present

I'm not so sure. I watched season 1 before starting the books - I enjoyed it much more than seasons 2 & 3 because I didn't know what was coming. I remember bawling my eyes out in season 1 when Ned was executed, but the only thing I struggled with in this week's episode was the sheer brutality of the violence; I didn't shed a single tear. 

Of course reading that part of the book tore me apart at the time, but I can't decide whether I'd prefer to experience the emotions while watching it on screen where the characters are a bit more real and personal?

Edited by twwen2

There is more heartbreak in store. As someone who has read all the books so far, I've developed a deep-rooted hope that Martin will use the final two books to bring about retribution in a big, bad way. The reader/viewer endures so much hurt and pain along the journey, there just has to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

This :)

Like most who have read the books, I have my theories about what's going to happen (in a general way) but I don't really think there's going to be a "happy" ending, but there will be some retribution...

However, reading the following quote has me worried:

Interviewer: "Since Song of Ice and Fire so often subverts reader expectations and avoids traditional fantasy storytelling structures, should fans have any real hope that this tale will have a happy ending? 

Martin: "I’ve stated numerous times that I anticipate a bittersweet ending."

:(

When the series was set at 6 novels (it's now 7) the title for the last book was 'A Time for Wolves', implying the Stark's get some redemption. 

The titles for the last two are now "Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring", so George's intent for the Starks isn't so clear now. I imagine there will be some sort of reckoning,  although I don't think we're going to get an uplifting conclusion. Mind you, after enduring thousands of pages of gritty realism, (no deus ex machina here !) this should be no surprise at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Just watched Red Wedding ... having read the first three books I knew what was coming (lots of foreshadowing there, even back in book two in the house of undying) ... but this was still brutal and shocking.

--Geoff

Stupid plot twist IMHO.....

I think I had the same reaction to the Red Wedding as everyone else.  The day after I thought it was genius, I am left dying to see what happens next.  (pardon the pun)

Watching episode 11 tonight.

Edited by bigears

I haven't thought of it as a twist as such, he walked right into it putting his personal interests before those of his people.

yeah. how dare he have a bit of personal happiness. I suppose the punishment suited the crime?!

Still a bit raw and emotional are we?

You've got to remember that in the kind of society portrayed by GoT, honour and trust are vital. The Starks in particular put so much emphasis on the importance of keeping their word. Rob promising to marry a Frey to obtain crossing at the Twins in Season 1 was supposed to be a sacrifice - he can't just walk away from something like that. Not quite sure what he was expecting; having effectively spat on the Frey family. He showed that his word is worthless, and then expected Walder Frey to be "oh no worries brah it's all cool, your new woman is so much prettier than my daughters so well done to ya!"

He definitely had it coming. A likeable character, but not the brightest spark.

• Like 1

Maybe I should have phrased it slightly differently: "Understanding the mechanics of honour (or lack of it) and (dis)trust are vital".

My point still stands - Rob not only broke a promise, but in doing so dishonoured the Freys. He then had the audacity/stupidity to come back for more.

Interestingly, in the book he doesn't take his wife with him - they decide that would be too much of an insult to the Freys so she goes back home to her family at the Crag. Not sure why HBO decided to change that - perhaps they wanted her character gone after the actor put her foot down and said she wouldn't be doing any more nude scenes...

:eek: