Are we still resistant to "Made in China"?

OT but China related, 4 Corners next week is covering the apparent credit crisis coming China's way, if true will have significant consequences for us.  

I hope not. Without economic stability, factions and people may split. 

• 2 weeks later...

And we should be resistant. I do all I can not buy Chinese and it's a moral issue not a quality one. Tha fact is, is that China is a totalitarian system and uses slave labor. People are forced to work for peanuts or die. Did you know that workers had to sign a " no suicide agreement" with Microsoft. They even had to put nets between building because the Chinese people are completely dehumanized. I choose not to buy goods made by slaves. Meaning goods made in India , Mexico ,China etc. I destroy leftards in the street when they want me to make a donation for animal welfare, what about human slaves?

Edited by masliko

^ but 

And we should be resistant. I do all I can not buy Chinese and it's a moral issue not a quality one. Tha fact is, is that China is a totalitarian system and uses slave labor. People are forced to work for peanuts or die. Did you know that workers had to sign a " no suicide agreement" with Microsoft. They even had to put nets between building because the Chinese people are completely dehumanized. I choose not to buy goods made by slaves. Meaning goods made in India , Mexico ,China etc. I destroy leftards in the street when they want me to make a donation for animal welfare, what about human slaves?

Do you buy US made products.................?

• Like 1

• Volunteer

^ but 

Do you buy US made products.................?

Good point. I believe Microsoft (the american company) bears some responsibility for the work conditions of its Chinese employees or subcontractors/suppliers 

And I take it that the posters that have moral issues buying product manufactured in China don't agree with us exporting any of our minerals or coal/gas to China, and forsake any of the economic benefits that Australia gain by this?

• Like 4

i cant see the relevance of your post to current conditions and situations.

yes the work / labor culture is very different than here, but its not what you think they are.

consider yourself very lucky to be an aussie citizen, but it doesnt mean being chinese worker equal to slavery.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

there are many chinese brand in the hifi market. some just showed up yesterday. but some has been a long time player eg. xindak 20+ years? usher (made in taiwan)?

i compared xindak xa6950 to belcanto evo 2i and i reckon xindak beats it in term of transparency.

I bought a $12 Chines cordless drill and it was useless.

Well, no surprise there. It could have been a $12 German cordless drill and i'd still bet it would be a pile of junk.

• Volunteer

Germans wouldn't make $12.00 cordless drill, they would make one that works and price it accordingly.

I think that's the point.

If you buy a $12 drill from anywhere, you shouldn't expect it to be any good. It's not a reflection of the quality of Chinese manufacturing in particular 

• Like 1

Germans wouldn't make $12.00 cordless drill, they would make one that works and price it accordingly.

And it would sit in its factory showroom with only a handful of people willing to buy it

Eventually they realise that they cant keep the factory open at the current sales rate. So they have to decide, downsize or reduce product quality to hit the price point. Being Germans they downsize and lay off people. Now they dont have a distribution arm. They rely on 3rd parties for eveything that needs to be done. Delivery times suffer and distributors get fed up with the cost cutting measures impacting day to day business.

They lose major accounts and their product rate decreases. Overnight the manufacturing part of the business is flagged as 'inefficient'. A decision needs to be made again, do they move manufacturing to a more cost effective location, or do they shut down the business.

Being German, they shut down the business....

Customers who bought the initial round of drills rave about how fantastic they are and compare models in online forums. Eventually, after many years, the drills start breaking down. Owners want spare parts to rebuild the beasts. Alas, no spares exist.

Customers go and buy a cheap Chinese look a like. This will do.

I see a different point.

Most countries would rather their manufacturers make good quality products. Some don't give a toss, and therefore there are no quality levels and standards that need to be met. The dollars rules, whatever the cost.

• Like 2

Most countries would rather their manufacturers make good quality products.

The Chinese don't decide to make low quality products, people from other countries contract them to make low quality products because they can do it cheaper than anyone else. If someone comes to you and asks you to make $20million of cheap toys you aren't going to say "oh sorry we won't make those cheap toys because it gives our country a bad image".

The quality of the product has more to do with how much is spent on the factory, manufacturing machines and materials, rather than the geographical location. The idea that the Chinese are only capable of making cheap junk is a gross misconception. There are some very high quality products that come out of China - for example, most Apple iPhones, iPads, iPods and computers, the large majority of PC hardware (motherboards, graphics cards), Intel and AMD computer CPUs and the list goes on.

Obviously developed countries like Germany are more likely to produce higher quality products because if you are already spending a bomb on the factory/tooling/materials, the higher labour costs aren't so much in the scheme of things. If you want to spend nothing on the factory/tooling/materials, then German labour is going to become a major portion of your total costs and you will consider producing it in a country like China instead where the labour is significantly cheaper.

Just watch India follow in the footsteps of China in the next 50 years.

Edited by TMM

Germany  doesn't only make high quality gear .  They can make stuff that  is no better than some of the low price Chinese  brands.  The Germans know we will pay anything for stuff made in Germany  and price the goods accordingly.  Those into woodworking may have  heard of the German brand Scheppach. This is Germany's  equivalent to Ryobi  and in my experience it  is definitely no better. I saw a bunch of their power drills and other tools in Germany recently and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

• Like 3

If the amp is a tube power amp, replacing the one of the Output transformers will probably cost more than the unit itself.

I have replaced an output transformer-  and the cost of a new one from China ? $140

• 2 weeks later...

With their deplorable human rights record I am morally opposed to make the elite at the top any richer than they currently are.

The only time they make quality products is when "foreign" companies are involved and have ultra tight regulations and immovable specs.

At the end of the day they are a communist country that put profit before people and the environment.

I worked there for a couple of years (helping set up some distribution centres) and they have utter contempt towards westerners.  They are supremely racist. They think it's funny. For the most part they think westerners are lazy, slow and will give away their manufacturing and wealth in favour of short term gains.

And they are right. I was in Detroit a few years ago followed by Seoul and Beijing. There is so much new money in Korea and China. So much wealth. And Detroit, the once great pearl of America is nothing but rubble.

I will go out of my way to not but Chinese made products.

• Like 2

Germany  doesn't only make high quality gear .  They can make stuff that  is no better than some of the low price Chinese  brands.  The Germans know we will pay anything for stuff made in Germany  and price the goods accordingly.  Those into woodworking may have  heard of the German brand Scheppach. This is Germany's  equivalent to Ryobi  and in my experience it  is definitely no better. I saw a bunch of their power drills and other tools in Germany recently and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Here's the thing. Germany does not make good lower priced products. They feel the need to... to compete with the likes of China and other third world countries but at the end of the day if you compromise you end up with an inferior product. Just look at Audi A1-A4. Oil issues, engine issues, poorly built junk. Drive an A5-A8 and have a spectacular driving experience. You'll just have to pay for it.

Edited by audacity

Some of their cars are like this too.......let me tell you!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The only time they make quality products is when "foreign" companies are involved and have ultra tight regulations and immovable specs.

That is an extremely ignorant statement.

Here are just a couple of examples of high quality chinese funded, developed and produced products:

http://www.rigol.com/

http://oneplus.net/

http://global.oppo.com/

In the case of the electronic test equipment, the market leader, an American company, underestimated chinese manufacturers and as a result has lost the entire low end market to Rigol and other chinese manufacturers. The chinese products are of equal (if not better) manufacturing quality compared to the American products but 1/2 or 1/3 the price. Pretty much the only thing preventing them taking the mid and high end markets would be that the buyers of said high end products are large companies which tend to keep buying the same brand that they always have and/or have a policy to only buy equipment produced in their own country where possible.

Pretty much the exact same thing is happening to the mobile phone market:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/29/samsung-market-share-drops/

A lot of quality chinese products are not known outside of China because they don't see it worth translating the interfaces to english and other languages since such a vast majority of people look down on 'unknown' chinese companies. It takes a bit for them to break through to international markets and make a name for themselves outside of china.

Edited by TMM
  • Like 1

That is an extremely ignorant statement.

Here are just a couple of examples of high quality chinese funded, developed and produced products:

http://www.rigol.com/

http://oneplus.net/

http://global.oppo.com/

In the case of the electronic test equipment, the market leader, an American company, underestimated chinese manufacturers and as a result has lost the entire low end market to Rigol and other chinese manufacturers. The chinese products are of equal (if not better) manufacturing quality compared to the American products but 1/2 or 1/3 the price. Pretty much the only thing preventing them taking the mid and high end markets would be that the buyers of said high end products are large companies which tend to keep buying the same brand that they always have and/or have a policy to only buy equipment produced in their own country where possible.

Pretty much the exact same thing is happening to the mobile phone market:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/29/samsung-market-share-drops/

A lot of quality chinese products are not known outside of China because they don't see it worth translating the interfaces to english and other languages since such a vast majority of people look down on 'unknown' chinese companies. It takes a bit for them to break through to international markets and make a name for themselves outside of china.

And most of them stole their ideas and expertise from the likes of Cisco, Samsung and the a multitude of other companies too greedy to invest in their own countries.

Incidentally it is ignorant to believe that sales = quality.

By the way Huawei is mentioned in the article you referred us to and here is another article about this leading light of manufacturing and quality:

http://gizmodo.com/5932204/should-the-world-be-scared-of-huawei

Another thing to add is that you gloating that the product is at 1/2 to 1/3 of the price means that they are exploiting the crap out of their people.

I hope you enjoy these products knowing that this communist country is the worst human rights offender in the world. Exploiting women, children and even trafficked foreigners.

Only a deplorable, ignorant and immoral individual would try to defend or support such companies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/10670520/Chinas-human-rights-situation-worst-in-decades.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28289652

http://www.irinnews.org/report/94277/vietnam-trafficked-workers-exploited-in-china